The Student Room Group

Please help me

Why do some elements have the same ram as each other and why can rams not be a whole number
Reply 1
RAM is simply the number of nucleons (neutrons and protons). Different elements necessarily have different numbers of protons, but there is nothing to say that when you add the neutrons, the total number of nucleons can't be the same another element.

RAMs CAN be whole numbers (or at least to 1dp): C, O, N, F, Na, Al, P etc.
Reply 2
but why may rams not be whole numbers?
Original post by Pigster
RAM is simply the number of nucleons (neutrons and protons). Different elements necessarily have different numbers of protons, but there is nothing to say that when you add the neutrons, the total number of nucleons can't be the same another element.

RAMs CAN be whole numbers (or at least to 1dp): C, O, N, F, Na, Al, P etc.
Reply 3
It depends on the elements for example chlorine is 35.5 so you would round up because you can’t have half a neutron
Reply 4
Original post by shreya kc
but why may rams not be whole numbers?

What makes you think they can't be whole numbers?
Reply 5
Original post by Pigster
What makes you think they can't be whole numbers?

they can be whole numbers but in my test its asking me, why may they not be whole numbers
Reply 6
they can be whole numbers but in my test its asking me, why may they not be whole numbers

Is there more information in the Q that you're not telling us?
Reply 7
no seriously thats it . it says word for word this : explain why ram may not be a whole number
no seriously thats it . it says word for word this : explain why ram may not be a whole number

It's to do with isotopes
So Chlorine can either have mass 35 or 37
35 appears 75% of the time and 37 is 25%
For a RAM, you take the weighted average of the mass and you end up with 35.5 for Chlorine

Quick Reply

Latest