The Student Room Group

A-Level help please?

I am stressing HARD about my A-Level choices so I would appreciate any help that anyone can give.

I am currently taking Geography, History and Drama at GCSE as well as the obvious English, Maths and Sciences. I'm also predicted 7's (or As) at GCSE in most of my subjects (some higher, some lower).

I've always been that one person who had no idea what they wanted to do with their future and had stuck their head in the sand until now.

I'm currently juggling the idea of taking Biology, Psychology and Chemistry at A-Level as my mum has suggested the idea of going into medicine in the future. I can't tell if I actually want to do these subjects or if my mum has influenced me so much that it has made me feel this way.

I know that I definitely want to take Biology and Psychology at A-Level but I'm scared that I won't be able to keep up with Chemistry as I don't enjoy it very much at GCSE and I struggle to get to grips with all the equations and maths involved. If I did go into medicine, I think I would want to go down the psychologist or psychiatrist route.

I am also contemplating other A-Levels such as Geography and Modern History as I enjoyed them hugely at GCSE but I think that Geography could relate better to my other choices if I do decide to change from Chemistry. I was thinking that with Geography I could maybe go into physical science?

I know that I should decide what field of medicine I want to go into or even if I want to go into medicine at all by myself but I'm struggling and my family aren't very supportive.

Any help or advice would be great and incredibly appreciated. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi I do chemistry, biology and geography ( I’m in Y13 ), so ask me anything you need on those subjects!
If you're already struggling with chemistry now, taking it at an advanced level would not be a good move. If you enjoy geography more then you should take that and play to your strengths. Remember that chemistry is a notoriously hard a level and requires a lot of work and time to achieve a good grade. Most colleges allow you to chop and change subjects within the first six weeks of term.
Reply 3
Original post by lcschofield
Hi I do chemistry, biology and geography ( I’m in Y13 ), so ask me anything you need on those subjects!

Oh my gosh! Thank you!

Just a few questions if that's okay!

1) What are your future plans? (job ideas, uni?)
2) What subjects do you think would be good combined for me, judging from the subjects mentioned in the first post, at A-Level?
3) What grade did you get at Chemistry GCSE?
4) And judging from what I've said in the original post, do you think I will be able to cope with the subject matter of A-Level Chemistry?

Again, thank you so much!!!!
Reply 4
I do History (currently in year 13) there is a lot of work, don't get me wrong. but if you are a person who manages time and workload well then you'll be fine. you are given allocated 'frees' and study periods so there is plenty of opportunity to complete work and revision in school hours :smile: course content wise, I really like it, so interesting! hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
I did biology, chemistry, geography and PE for my a levels if you have any questions :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by meediaabid
If you're already struggling with chemistry now, taking it at an advanced level would not be a good move. If you enjoy geography more then you should take that and play to your strengths. Remember that chemistry is a notoriously hard a level and requires a lot of work and time to achieve a good grade. Most colleges allow you to chop and change subjects within the first six weeks of term.

I am aware that Chemistry is very hard but I think that when I get to A-Level and I only have 3 subjects to focus on, I will be able to work harder and concentrate harder on Chemistry. Do you think that sounds reasonable or a stupid idea?
My #1 tip here is to choose facilitating subjects. These are the A-level choices that top universities want to see and I recommend picking at least 2 from this list. The facilitating subjects are: maths and further maths, English Literature, physics, biology, chemistry, geography, history, and classical and modern languages.

If you want to do a medical degree, choose chemistry plus either maths, biology or physics and then a subject of your choice from the list. If you don’t know what to, also go with chemistry plus either maths, biology or physics and a subject of your choice from the facilitating subjects list because this will leave many university degree options open for you so you can decide what degree you want later on.

Hope this helped!
Reply 8
?
Original post by Freyja M
I do History (currently in year 13) there is a lot of work, don't get me wrong. but if you are a person who manages time and workload well then you'll be fine. you are given allocated 'frees' and study periods so there is plenty of opportunity to complete work and revision in school hours :smile: course content wise, I really like it, so interesting! hope this helps :smile:

Hi! Thank you for replying :smile: do you take modern history? also, what subjects do you take alongside it?
Reply 9
Original post by pacb10
I did biology, chemistry, geography and PE for my a levels if you have any questions :smile:

Hi!! I'm mainly struggling with the idea of Chemistry so if you could maybe give me some insight on how you found it and the grades you got at GCSE??
Oh and also, I am in Year 11 and I’m choosing my A-Levels. I want to apply for biology, chemistry and geography because I like those subjects. Also I’m not completely sure about my future career but they are all facilitating so many degree options should stay open for me.
Original post by wooders21
Oh my gosh! Thank you!

Just a few questions if that's okay!

1) What are your future plans? (job ideas, uni?)
2) What subjects do you think would be good combined for me, judging from the subjects mentioned in the first post, at A-Level?
3) What grade did you get at Chemistry GCSE?
4) And judging from what I've said in the original post, do you think I will be able to cope with the subject matter of A-Level Chemistry?

Again, thank you so much!!!!

1) I’ve applied for 2 courses at uni: Chemistry (with medicinal chemistry) and Biochemistry
Future plans are uncertain, but STEM subjects are very employable so no worries there.
2) I’d say take biology ( very interesting A-level ). I personally didn’t find the step up from GCSE to AS chemistry difficult, but AS to A2 is a lot more/complex maths. If you don’t enjoy it don’t do it cos you won’t want to work on it. But you do need chemistry for medicine so...
Honestly do what you enjoy and what you’ll want to work at so you’ll get a good race
3) I got A* Chemistry and A at AS
4) Mostly in point 2), but it does have a lot of maths in so that may be something to consider
Reply 12
Original post by daniel.rajski
My #1 tip here is to choose facilitating subjects. These are the A-level choices that top universities want to see and I recommend picking at least 2 from this list. The facilitating subjects are: maths and further maths, English Literature, physics, biology, chemistry, geography, history, and classical and modern languages.

If you want to do a medical degree, choose chemistry plus either maths, biology or physics and then a subject of your choice from the list. If you don’t know what to, also go with chemistry plus either maths, biology or physics and a subject of your choice from the facilitating subjects list because this will leave many university degree options open for you so you can decide what degree you want later on.

Hope this helped!

Yes it did thank you!!!
Reply 13
I am stressing HARD about my A-Level choices so I would appreciate any help that anyone can give.

I am currently taking Geography, History and Drama at GCSE as well as the obvious English, Maths and Sciences. I'm also predicted 7's (or As) at GCSE in most of my subjects (some higher, some lower).

I've always been that one person who had no idea what they wanted to do with their future and had stuck their head in the sand until now.

I'm currently juggling the idea of taking Biology, Psychology and Chemistry at A-Level as my mum has suggested the idea of going into medicine in the future. I can't tell if I actually want to do these subjects or if my mum has influenced me so much that it has made me feel this way.

I know that I definitely want to take Biology and Psychology at A-Level but I'm scared that I won't be able to keep up with Chemistry as I don't enjoy it very much at GCSE and I struggle to get to grips with all the equations and maths involved. If I did go into medicine, I think I would want to go down the psychologist or psychiatrist route.

I am also contemplating other A-Levels such as Geography and Modern History as I enjoyed them hugely at GCSE but I think that Geography could relate better to my other choices if I do decide to change from Chemistry. I was thinking that with Geography I could maybe go into physical science?

I know that I should decide what field of medicine I want to go into or even if I want to go into medicine at all by myself but I'm struggling and my family aren't very supportive.

Any help or advice would be great and incredibly appreciated. :smile:

It seems like you have so many possibilities. My only advice would be to do what you enjoy because you don’t want to stress over an alevels subject you don’t care about. Also, having a science a level will keep your doors open for when you want to choose your course for university.
I'm in a similar situation as you...i know what to take for A-level's but i don't know where to go. Good luck to you and your future :smile:
I am aware that Chemistry is very hard but I think that when I get to A-Level and I only have 3 subjects to focus on, I will be able to work harder and concentrate harder on Chemistry. Do you think that sounds reasonable or a stupid idea?

If you're willing to put in the work and effort (lots of application so you'll need to practice a lot, I spent a month practicing one topic - mechanisms)

The good thing about chemistry is that once a concept clicks, it clicks.

Like I said, you can probably chop and change if you find it isn't for you but determination and work pays off better with chemistry in particular than just intelligence. I knew someone like you once, who took the A-Level not really knowing what career she wanted to go into and discovered a massive love for the subject to the point she is studying it now for her degree.
Reply 16
Original post by lcschofield
1) I’ve applied for 2 courses at uni: Chemistry (with medicinal chemistry) and Biochemistry
Future plans are uncertain, but STEM subjects are very employable so no worries there.
2) I’d say take biology ( very interesting A-level ). I personally didn’t find the step up from GCSE to AS chemistry difficult, but AS to A2 is a lot more/complex maths. If you don’t enjoy it don’t do it cos you won’t want to work on it. But you do need chemistry for medicine so...
Honestly do what you enjoy and what you’ll want to work at so you’ll get a good race
3) I got A* Chemistry and A at AS
4) Mostly in point 2), but it does have a lot of maths in so that may be something to consider

I'm currently predicted an 8 in maths which is the equivalent to an A*, so I think that I could cope with the maths if I really get my head down and focus
I'm currently predicted an 8 in maths which is the equivalent to an A*, so I think that I could cope with the maths if I really get my head down and focus

That’s great then! That’ll definitely help you on the road to Chemistry A-level and medicine!
Reply 18
Hi!! I'm mainly struggling with the idea of Chemistry so if you could maybe give me some insight on how you found it and the grades you got at GCSE??

I got an A* at GCSE and found it easy then. It does get so much harder at A Level and I had to put in a lot of work, but once you’ve got the understanding of each topic, you’ll find there is a lot of overlap and a lot of the second year is building on what you learn during the first year and applying your knowledge.

There is quite a bit of maths in Chem (and bio) a level and my school states you have to get at least a B in maths gcse to take a level chemistry but they recommend you only take it if you got an A or A*.

At the time I was in 6th form, I would’ve dropped chemistry if I could’ve (applied for veterinary medicine so needed to have it) but looking back and revising it this year, it wasn’t actually too bad!!

As for medicine, I’d recommend getting some work experience (not necessarily in a hospital/GP etc but in a caring environment) to see if it’s something you’d actually want to do. You’ll need chemistry if you do want to study medicine so you could put it down now provisionally because there is plenty of time to change!
?

Hi! Thank you for replying :smile: do you take modern history? also, what subjects do you take alongside it?

not a problem at all :smile: in part, some of my course is modern i.e political British history and German history are both fairly modern (German history 1919-1963 and British history 1951-1997) whereas some of my course is older so from like 1790's. I'm taking English Language and English Literature alongside it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest