The Student Room Group

Pope wants to change Lord's Prayer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
Why do you have to ask him? Shouldn't that be the first thing a God would do: steer you away from temptation. Also why does a perfect god have temptation in their creation anyway?

The prayer is an example of a prayer of faith, not a prayer of works. So if you find yourself reciting this prayer word for word then you might want to check the two verse which precede it, in the book of Matthew.

Matthew 6:7,8

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

You see Doonsbury, its the heathen who use vain repetitions in prayer, not the children of Israel, because the children of Israel have faith. But the pope wont understand this.
As a catholic I wouldn’t mind the change into “do not let us fall into temptation”. It has a better meaning.
(edited 6 years ago)
i have produced an up to date version for modern Catholics:

Our Parent/Carer

Who art in another Spiritual Dimension

Your name is way cool

We look forward to your benevolent management system

With democratic bottom up decision making

To be mirrored on both board and factory levels

Enable us to source appropriate protein & carbohydrate for the next 24 hours

And overlook our shortfalls from our designated behavior targets

As we overlook those whose behavior towards us is sub-optimal

And lead us not into Penge Station
Reply 43
Original post by the bear
And lead us not into Penge Station

Penge West or East? :beard:
I mean, I'm a Catholic and when the priest says "the Lord be with you(r spirit)" I still want to say "And also with you" - I mean, how long ago did that change?! I don't really mind whether they change it or not, but I know for a fact that I'd stick to the old one because I won't remember the new one :smile:
Original post by TheRuralJuror
what is with Christians and the bible they think that's a software to be fondled with? how many times was the bible changed

This is what I was referring to. Compared to the Holy Quraan.
Reply 46
Original post by TheRuralJuror
what is with Christians and the bible they think that's a software to be fondled with? how many times was the bible changed

Given it is already a selected unification of various texts into a compilation called the bible not convinced a remix version is any less valid than the original selection, such a shuffle makes it no more or less the word of God than any other iteration.
Original post by MiszShortee786

This is what I was referring to. Compared to the Holy Quraan.

You keep wittering on dimly about the Koran not changing, but have failed to understand that this is not a change to the Bible's text but to a change in a translation of the Bible. How many translations are there of the Koran into English?
They always used to get us to say this in assembly, have no idea why.
never used to say the 'amen' part so it didn't 'send', thought that was the send key of a prayer like a text message.
Reply 49
The Roman Catholic Church is Mystery Babylon in the book of Revelations

The Papacy is the Antichrist he fits all the prophesy's perfectly
Original post by Good bloke
You keep wittering on dimly about the Koran not changing, but have failed to understand that this is not a change to the Bible's text but to a change in a translation of the Bible. How many translations are there of the Koran into English?

That's not what I am concerned about in terms of the translation. The reason why there is a translation is because majority of Muslims are not familiar with the Arabic language. Therefore a translation was made.

I am not amalgamating anything. What I am saying is that there is an old testament new testament and what have you. Compared to the Holy Quraan there is only one original copy which cannot be altered in any shape or form.
That's not what I am concerned about in terms of the translation. The reason why there is a translation is because majority of Muslims are not familiar with the Arabic language. Therefore a translation was made.

I am not amalgamating anything. What I am saying is that there is an old testament new testament and what have you. Compared to the Holy Quraan there is only one original copy which cannot be altered in any shape or form.

Maybe that's the issue with the "Holy Quraan"- it cant be one book for all times because the times in which we live change (this isn't 7th Century Arabia)
Original post by ChallengeLover
Maybe that's the issue with the "Holy Quraan"- it cant be one book for all times because the times in which we live change (this isn't 7th Century Arabia)

There's no issues with the Holy Quraan. So what you are stating is that the Quraan become modern to fit a Muslims lifestyle?
There's no issues with the Holy Quraan. So what you are stating is that the Quraan become modern to fit a Muslims lifestyle?

Not to fit a Muslim's lifestyle but to fit the lifestyle of all people since the Quraan was sent for all people...

A little side question: why are the countries with the highest gender imbalance usually Muslim nations?

The 10 worst countries for gender equality

Yemen

Pakistan

Syria

Chad

Iran

Mali

Saudi Arabia

Lebanon

Morocco

Jordan

Original post by danpr88
The Roman Catholic Church is Mystery Babylon in the book of Revelations

The Papacy is the Antichrist he fits all the prophesy's perfectly

Pope

prophesies

ermm i disagree
Reply 55
See that's the thing that I have noticed. The bible can always be altered. However compared to the Holy Quraan no matter how much an individual attempts to alter any wordings in the book it be a failed attempt.

In my opinion that speaks volumes.

Your profile picture also speaks volumes about how oppressed women are in the Islamic world. Christianity is able to adapt to the 21st Century, compared to the Middle Ages thinking of a book like the Koran...
Reply 56
Original post by ChallengeLover
Not to fit a Muslim's lifestyle but to fit the lifestyle of all people since the Quraan was sent for all people...

A little side question: why are the countries with the highest gender imbalance usually Muslim nations?

The 10 worst countries for gender equality

Yemen

Pakistan

Syria

Chad

Iran

Mali

Saudi Arabia

Lebanon

Morocco

Jordan

My thoughts exactly, just look at her profile picture
Original post by Astana
Your profile picture also speaks volumes about how oppressed women are in the Islamic world. Christianity is able to adapt to the 21st Century, compared to the Middle Ages thinking of a book like the Koran...

Well done Watch the comment "I choose to wear it as a sign of my freedom" or "No one forces me to wear it"...
Original post by Astana
My thoughts exactly, just look at her profile picture

It speaks volumes but she'll probably end up saying that Muhammad was a feminist ans revolutionized the lives of women in 7th Century Arabia... Nice to see how lots of people find the revolution that Muhammad supposedly brought with him is acceptable in the 21st Century.

Just realise I haven't actually addressed the thread itself- it's a much needed change but doesn't change the fact that no one has stayed away from sin by praying to "God"
Original post by Astana

There's nothing wrong with my profile picture as such. It's how I dress in reality so essentially I'm portraying a visual image.

Islam does not oppress any individual at all. If you haven't experienced Islam how can you put that perspective forward?

So are Muslim females. Take Malala yousofzai as an 'example'.

Quick Reply

Latest