The Student Room Group

French student : no predicted grades *panic*

Hey everyone,

I'm a French student and I have already passed my baccalaureate in June 2017. However, the courses I'd like to apply to in the UK require subjects that I didn't study for my bac, which is why I decided to take a gap year to self-study them at home. I'll be sitting the exams in June 2018.

I asked my former English teacher, who kindly accepted the job, to write my reference letter. But the problem is that she submitted it without giving predicted grades.

I heard that having no predicted grades could really reduce my chances of getting an offer since the admission tutors don't have any evidence to base their decision on. I don't want to sound dramatic, but I really feel like my efforts have gone for nothing... I'm working really hard to achieve good results but this issue is somewhat making everything obsolete.

So is it too late for my teacher to add predicted grades now that she has submitted the reference ? If so, do you think it's still worth applying to uni? I was wondering if the fact that I have already passed a baccalaureate with good grades (18 out of 20, which is the equivalent to AAAA) could make any difference.

Hoping to read from you soon
If you apply without predicted grades Unis will then contact you about your predictions. If your teacher can then send them to the Uni thats fine, or for anyone who cant (home schooled, overseas school don't 'do' predictions etc) most Unis will ignore this and guess-timate your predictions and assess your application regardless. None of this should affect your offer chances. If you are concerned, then email/phone your Unis and explain, and wait for their response.
Reply 2
I read this but how can a Uni judge whether you deserve an offer if they have nothing to base their decision on. The brevet (sort of GCSE equivalent) is only in a couple of subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending