?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
how does chain length affect properties of crude oil fractions
thebiochemguy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The longer the chain length, the higher the boiling point. This is because there is a larger surface area in which London forces can act, and more surface points of contact between the hydrocarbon chains. Therefore more energy is required to overcome these stronger intermolecular forces of attraction. These stronger forces of attraction occurred due to larger molecules thus a greater electron cloud density hence greater strength of London forces. Hope this helps 😊
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Due to the van der waals (Intermolecular forces), which are proven to act as chain length increases, the VDW increase in magnitude as chain length increases, so more energy is required to overcome them. This means that the hydrocarbon has a higher boiling point and thus sinks lower in the fractionating column, as it has a negative temperature gradient (i.e short length low boiling point at the top, and long length high boiling point at the bottom). This can change the property or use of it's fraction, i.e short length chains like C4 to C12 would make gasoline/petrol but longer ones like C19- C35 would make things like engine oil.
lolz23489
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I agree with other two users, but it's london forces from now on, as VDW had many types of forces included so couldn't be a valid answer anymore in answers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads