The Student Room Group

Driving test with new rules

Hi,

I’m sitting my driving test next week (for the 4th time 🙈) and I wondered if anyone has done it now that the new rules are in place and has any advice?

What’s it like with the SatNav?

And any advice on how to keep calm-nerves get the better of me 😔

L x
Reply 1
Original post by Leah_Phillips
Hi,

I’m sitting my driving test next week (for the 4th time 🙈) and I wondered if anyone has done it now that the new rules are in place and has any advice?

L x

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3BVsCVdUz0&t=482s

All I can say is if you go the wrong way it doesn't matter. All that matters is that you can correct it while driving safely.
there is an article in today's Telegraph by a lady who did a mock test.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/driving-four-years-failed-new-driving-test/
Not sure that was reassuring 😂🙈
Original post by Leah_Phillips
Hi,

L x

Hi there!

This thread should be in the Learning to drive forum. I’ll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :h:
Almost identical to the old test from what a mate who passed with it told me; but like me, he prefers to follow signs than be told what to do by a Satnav.

Also, I'd go far enough to say most people would fail a driving test resit, even the old test - don't take that article to heart, journalism feeds on shock factor.
Reply 6
Hi Leah,

Likely to be a bit long as there are a lot of wrong ideas around about satnav. But don't worry.

What is it like with a satnav? Some say it's so easy and straightforward, no problem.

They are good but never, yet, perfect. Get the good route and the GPS input part of it behaves then all is OK. Some are lucky.

Sorry to say as good as it is, it can go wrong. GPS and the map, depends on where and when you are. 'Pinpoint accuracy' is often quoted. 'Nope'.

Satnav is meant to be a navigation aid, not what many believe (not just learners but drivers for years), a substitute to get you A to B without thinking or looking.

It is not a substitute for looking out and reading the road.

Hopefully your route is known, but should it not. I've seen it, down a one way because satnav says so.

So far I'm all a bit negative. Satnav has a big plus but some minus.

Be confident. Consider satnav an aid on your side but keep your eye on the road, read the road and where you are with your eye. So at times pretend it's not there. nevershear's mate sticks to road signs, as does nevershear. Be prepared to ignore satnav. It recalculates anyhow.

It is a safe driving test not a navigation test. As Xopher says. If it tries or does send you the wrong way and you safely get around it there 'should' be no penalty.

As example, look ahead to where it wants to send you but you see a no entry. Without satnav you would not go, surely. (statement not question. I trust you).
Oh yes the voice direction. It will be from the map position. This is where GPS thinks you are on the map. You could be near any option of streets close together.

Be confident, first, lookout, second, glance the map. Does it look right compared to out the window. If not go with what you're used to. Tell examiner "this does not look right". I will be disgusted if he/she does not accept this.

Leah. I use this stuff in my job. It messes me up at times. I'm here with the hope of this new adventure in driving test satnav will not be a big scare or issue. It can be understood but it is not what many think.

Finally. the bear's Telegraph link. I would be curious to see if I could pass the test. I do not indicate unless needed. Ok, if someone to indicate to, including pedestrians, dunno dogs and cats. Car half a mile down the road, No. Why? If he can't stop in half mile. Well I'm gone by then. Do what I do, I believe you fail. I am told I do what I do I pass the advanced. Question marks here. It's what I'm told and believably.

Leah, I hope at least some of this gives you some high confidence and I wish you the very best. Maybe we will meet on a traffic motorway jam soon as you will have passed.

Cheers
John
Reply 7
I passed my test 2nd attempt today with the new test and i got the satnav and the new manover and i found easier than my 1st attempt, your concentration turns to the satnav so you actually forget an examiner is sitting next to you, less chat so you get into a zone of just driving if that makes sense. I was just as nervous but took my instructor with me and this calmed me down. Good luck xxx
Personally, I think the sat nav is an improvement over being told instructions by the examiner. You have a much clearer idea of where you're going and you get to see this well in advance. When I was told where to go by the examiner (or anyone for that matter), I felt like I was somewhat driving aimlessly, always waiting until the next command.

Of course sat navs can occasionally give wrong or misleading instructions. Hopefully the pre-determined routes will mean that examiners have sussed out the errors and give verbal clarification, but if the sat nav gives slightly contradictory information to what you see ahead of you, ignore the sat nav and drive on a path that you know will be correct, for example taking the first exit on a roundabout. You won't be penalised for going in the wrong direction. Don't attempt to follow the sat nav's instruction if you're unclear and think you will make a mistake as a result, for example road/lane positioning. The worst thing you can do is try adjusting your car's position and in doing so commit a serious fault. Much better to bail out and take a route that you're sure is safe and correct, even if it's not where you should be going.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending