The Student Room Group

University worries

Hi everyone,

I have a place at university for Sept 2018. I will be classed as a mature student as I left college a few years ago and am looking to return to education after a few years working as university has always been at the back of my mind, I just didn’t know what I wanted to do when I first left college.

I’m hoping university will open up many opportunities for me and help me towards a good career and originally I was really looking forward to going, meeting new people and going back to study as I do want a degree at some point in my life.

However over the past few months I’ve started to have a few doubts. I’ve been out of education for a few years and am worried about getting back into the swing of things and how I’ll cope with the workload, I’m also worried that if I go to uni and decide it’s not for me about the cost and implications of that. I applied last year and deferred my place to give me a year to decide if uni’s the right thing for me and it’s worrying me that I’m still having a few doubts as it’s a lot of money to go.

It won’t be long before student loans, accommodation and everything else has to start getting sorted and this is what is making me think about it all more. Has anyone else felt like this?
Doubts are natural. I had doubts about going to uni as a mature student, but I can tell you that it is one of the best decisions I ever made. I love uni and I love the course content.

Depending on your financial situation, I would advise that it is probably best studying something that is more likely to land you a decently paid job at the end of it as the costs are high. What are you studying btw?
Costs are always a concern, especially for mature students, have you spoken to the university about it? There are normally people on hand to advice you about finance and the implications of this.

Best of luck,

Alex

3D Computer Generated Imagery

Bournemouth & Poole College
Hi there! I definitely can relate to your worries. I have been out of school for many years now. I have been dancing professionally with a ballet company in the United States and have not been in an academic setting for 8 years now. I now want to retire from ballet and pursue a career in costume design. I have no idea if I'm making the right choice and I'm also worried about moving to the U.K. and being so far from my friends and family.
Reply 4
It will probably help if you can find some other mature students who will be studying at the same uni as you. Some unis have mature students associations or schemes to help you to get back into studying. If you contact your uni admissions office, or the students union, and ask whether they have an officer or advisor for mature students they might be able to link you to some support.
Original post by UniStudent2017
Hi everyone,

I have a place at university for Sept 2018. I will be classed as a mature student as I left college a few years ago and am looking to return to education after a few years working as university has always been at the back of my mind, I just didn’t know what I wanted to do when I first left college.

I’m hoping university will open up many opportunities for me and help me towards a good career and originally I was really looking forward to going, meeting new people and going back to study as I do want a degree at some point in my life.

However over the past few months I’ve started to have a few doubts. I’ve been out of education for a few years and am worried about getting back into the swing of things and how I’ll cope with the workload, I’m also worried that if I go to uni and decide it’s not for me about the cost and implications of that. I applied last year and deferred my place to give me a year to decide if uni’s the right thing for me and it’s worrying me that I’m still having a few doubts as it’s a lot of money to go.

It won’t be long before student loans, accommodation and everything else has to start getting sorted and this is what is making me think about it all more. Has anyone else felt like this?

Could doing a foundation year settle your nerves and take some of the pressure off?
Reply 6
I also have offers for a place at university this year, i'm currently doing A-levels and feel like I cant really be bothered to work or revise. in addition to this, im also worried about whether university will be the right thing for me to do, I've never been away from home for more than a few days and don't really cope well with stress. however, all my family have said that I shouldn't throw away something I previously have wanted so badly for a "what if," or for a worry, because that what if may never come. my advice would be the same to you, don't immediately disregard uni because of a what if. try it out first, and if its not for you then its not for you, my friend :smile: I hope this helps and good luck x
Original post by UniStudent2017
Hi everyone,

Hi there,

I can completely understand why you may be feeling a bit nervous and overwhelmed returning back to education. I myself was a mature student, and took two years out before going to University, simply because I wasn't sure if it was for me. I can assure you, there are many mature students at University - You would be surprised! Like everything new, you settle into your new routine eventually :smile:

What I would suggest to feel calmer about student finance, accommodation etc, is to make a list of all you need to do and gradually work through it. You have until September but it is best to get these details sorted before the summertime. I'm sure that your chosen University will also be at hand to help you with any worries or concerns you may have as well.

It may all seem quite daunting now but when you look back at the amazing memories and what you've learnt, it will all be worth it! And if it turns out that University truly isn't for you, you've tried and that's all that matters :smile:

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

Melissa :biggrin:

Quick Reply