The Student Room Group

Need help with choosing courses

I'm currently in Year 10 and I'm starting Pre U next year. I chose IT, English Literature and Psychology for A-levels. I kind of just randomly chose IT because I still wasn't sure what I want to major in. I can still change next year though. I was thinking of doing media and communication (this was my first choice), linguistics or international relations/politics. I'm hoping to get some advice about these particular majors and about my A-level choices. I can be quite indecisive so any help will be appreciated, thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Amiiiratun
I'm currently in Year 10 and I'm starting Pre U next year. I chose IT, English Literature and Psychology for A-levels. I kind of just randomly chose IT because I still wasn't sure what I want to major in. I can still change next year though. I was thinking of doing media and communication (this was my first choice), linguistics or international relations/politics. I'm hoping to get some advice about these particular majors and about my A-level choices. I can be quite indecisive so any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Oh, hai~
You're taking similar A-levels to me (kinda).
I'm taking Computer Science, History, English Language and an AS in French.

Have you done IT in GCSE?
And, I'm not going to pretend I know much about it, but would it be helpful to take a modern language for international relations/politics and linguistics?

I don't know, just an idea. :shrug:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Well, no. IT is an A-level only subject in my school. But I thought the syllabus was really interesting. I've been thinking twice nowadays about my choices. I thought about taking history or sociology, I really like essay subjects.
Well, no. IT is an A-level only subject in my school. But I thought the syllabus was really interesting. I've been thinking twice nowadays about my choices. I thought about taking history or sociology, I really like essay subjects.

IT can be kinda hard, especially without GCSE knowledge before hand.
I study Eng Lit, History, Psychology an Drama (am a Year 13) and can recommend essay based subjects both as being a bit more enjoyable, ideal for the degrees you want to do and well looked upon.

Maybe consider switching out IT for History or Sociology?

Also tip for the student room in general - Tag or quote someone’s post when you reply to them so they get a notification. 😊
Reply 4
Original post by FloralHybrid
IT can be kinda hard, especially without GCSE knowledge before hand.
I study Eng Lit, History, Psychology an Drama (am a Year 13) and can recommend essay based subjects both as being a bit more enjoyable, ideal for the degrees you want to do and well looked upon.

Maybe consider switching out IT for History or Sociology?

Also tip for the student room in general - Tag or quote someone’s post when you reply to them so they get a notification. 😊

Oh! Thanks for that, the tip and the advice. I'm new to the question things, obviously. I guess I'll go for Sociology then. Have you had any experience with IT?
IT is sometimes seen as a "weaker" option by UK universities than say, Computer Science. It's usually acceptable if you have at least two traditional academic subjects, which you do. However if CS is available you may want to consider that as an option. I've heard more positive commentary about CS than IT as well. CS also relates to linguistics more, as computational linguistics and aspects of language processing are major areas of linguistics (and CS) research.

Beyond that, they're a reasonable set of subjects. Economics, or possibly Politics or Geography, may be interesting if you're interested in pursuing Politics or Media/Communication. Philosophy may offer an interesting complement to Psychology for preprating to go into Linguistics, as the three subjects have some fairly nuanced links (hence Oxford offering a joint course in Psychology, Philosophy, and Linguistics, although you normally only study two of the three after first year).

Languages can be useful for Linguistics, but for "pure" linguistics courses (which are somewhat uncommon anyway, aren't usually required. However you may find your options on such courses somewhat limited if you don't have any background in particular languages (particularly for regional linguistic studies and some more specific comparative linguistics courses maybe). Languages are always welcomed in general, and are relevant to all your pathways in various ways. If you're good at language learning, it's well worth considering, however if you struggle with languages or don't enjoy them much I wouldn't recommend it particularly.
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh! Thanks for that, the tip and the advice. I'm new to the question things, obviously. I guess I'll go for Sociology then. Have you had any experience with IT?

No problem!

I took it for GCSE and achieved an A*, and I’ve got friends who have taken IT A-Level and unfortunately regretted the choice. It depends on the content and the exam board, but they said it was a mixture of hardcore programming, and media. Doesn’t mean to say you’d regret it though, it’s all personal.

Feel free to pm me if I can help with psychology or Literature, but you’ve got a long way to go as a Year 10! Best of luck with your GCSE’s.
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
IT is sometimes seen as a "weaker" option by UK universities than say, Computer Science. It's usually acceptable if you have at least two traditional academic subjects, which you do. However if CS is available you may want to consider that as an option. I've heard more positive commentary about CS than IT as well. CS also relates to linguistics more, as computational linguistics and aspects of language processing are major areas of linguistics (and CS) research.

Beyond that, they're a reasonable set of subjects. Economics, or possibly Politics or Geography, may be interesting if you're interested in pursuing Politics or Media/Communication. Philosophy may offer an interesting complement to Psychology for preprating to go into Linguistics, as the three subjects have some fairly nuanced links (hence Oxford offering a joint course in Psychology, Philosophy, and Linguistics, although you normally only study two of the three after first year).

Languages can be useful for Linguistics, but for "pure" linguistics courses (which are somewhat uncommon anyway, aren't usually required. However you may find your options on such courses somewhat limited if you don't have any background in particular languages (particularly for regional linguistic studies and some more specific comparative linguistics courses maybe). Languages are always welcomed in general, and are relevant to all your pathways in various ways. If you're good at language learning, it's well worth considering, however if you struggle with languages or don't enjoy them much I wouldn't recommend it particularly.

Computer Science is in fact one of the more popular options where I'm studying, in fact. Most of us take pure sciences (my school is a science school), but I prefer something from the humanities field of study. Anyway, very detailed and it will surely help me with any confusions, thank you.
Reply 8
Original post by FloralHybrid
No problem!

I took it for GCSE and achieved an A*, and I’ve got friends who have taken IT A-Level and unfortunately regretted the choice. It depends on the content and the exam board, but they said it was a mixture of hardcore programming, and media. Doesn’t mean to say you’d regret it though, it’s all personal.

Feel free to pm me if I can help with psychology or Literature, but you’ve got a long way to go as a Year 10! Best of luck with your GCSE’s.

Thank you so much! I've actually done my GCSEs this year
Thank you so much! I've actually done my GCSEs this year

Ahh, that explains the fact that you’re starting a year earlier than most. Best of luck with your A-Levels then!
From the future courses you’ve disclosed, I think history would enhance your application more than IT, particularly if you have an aptitude for essay-based subjects! History is quite closely linked to international relations, and English and psychology would likely supplement the study of linguistics, international relations, or media and communication. Even if you were to change your mind as to which degree you’d like to pursue, those three subjects would most definitely keep your options open. Of course, you could always use the Pre U to research a topic of your choice! Best wishes 😊
Computer Science is in fact one of the more popular options where I'm studying, in fact. Most of us take pure sciences (my school is a science school), but I prefer something from the humanities field of study. Anyway, very detailed and it will surely help me with any confusions, thank you.

In that case you may wish to consider Economics/Politics/Geography - they're quite relevant for the media and politics paths, although not so relevant in terms of subject specific knowledge for linguistics, they are essay subjects so useful general preparation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending