Want more information about this university?

Going back to university after dropping out..

Watch
AVRN
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Im looking to go back to university after dropping out in my second year due to personal reasons. I regret this decision but I feel i'm ready to go back. I received my loans going to university and I was wondering if I would still receive funding, if I decided to go back... Does the gift year still apply?
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AVRN)
Im looking to go back to university after dropping out in my second year due to personal reasons. I regret this decision but I feel i'm ready to go back. I received my loans going to university and I was wondering if I would still receive funding, if I decided to go back... Does the gift year still apply?
Did you start second year? If so, you will be counted as using 2 years of funding. So yes, you will get a gift year - but you'll still be short of one year.

New course length + gift year - previous study = 3 + 1 - 2 = 2

Student finance work backwards and fund the end of the degree first. So you wouldn't get funding for the first year of a new degree.
You could work and save up money and use that to pay for it.
If you completed first year well and want to study a related degree, you may be able to start the new degree from second year and not need to take another first year. This does depend how long ago you dropped out, and isn't always possible.
You could study part time with the Open University, as part time funding is different. You're only eligible for tuition fee loans with the OU, though, so you would need to work alongside to fund your living costs.
You could study with the Open University to complete the first year there, and then use that to apply for another degree and start from second year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (70)
27.13%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.24%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.85%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.84%

Watched Threads