The Student Room Group

Name a subject you enjoy+ hate and why.

This relates to anyone at any level of education.
State a subject you hate and enjoy + why.

And then if you see that comment try and give some advice as to how to enjoy your hated subject.

I'll start obvs

Hate: Math.

Math has never been my strong suit and the main reason I deteste it is because it's not creative at all. Only one answer; which leaves the subject for me at least a bore to study.

Enjoy: English Literature.

Contrary to Math, English Literarure has always fascinated me. The perception of extracts and plays and the way I can choose to interpret it however way I want and prove my point however way I want makes me feel free.
I also love reading books which is by the way a big boost if your struggling with English.

Accidentally put thread in relationships

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I hate maths but I'm fairly sure it's just because I've never been taught it well. I can do it (to a point), but I'd never choose to.

Obviously, I love philosophy. I also love the languages side of it, which is a surprise to me. I spend more time with ancient languages these days than I do with hardcore philosophy.
Enjoy: Biology (broadly speaking) and chemistry. I've just clicked with them since I first started learning about them. I love Botany the most.
Hate: Politics, because politics.
Original post by Oneiropólos
This relates to anyone at any level of education.
State a subject you hate and enjoy + why.

And then if you see that comment try and give some advice as to how to enjoy your hated subject.

I'll start obvs

Hate: Math.

Math has never been my strong suit and the main reason I deteste it is because it's not creative at all. Only one answer; which leaves the subject for me at least a bore to study.

Enjoy: English Literature.

Contrary to Math, English Literarure has always fascinated me. The perception of extracts and plays and the way I can choose to interpret it however way I want and prove my point however way I want makes me feel free.
I also love reading books which is by the way a big boost if your struggling with English.

Accidentally put thread in relationships

I love all my subjects! Otherwise I wouldn't have chosen them for A-Levels lmao
Hate: drama, PE (the traditional type done at school like netball, basketball etc.) and French

Because I'm just ridiculously terrible at drama and PE and ever since learning French for the first time at age 6 I've always found it boring (but that's probably because of the negative impression that I had at age 6 which has lasted through the years and made me reluctant to learn it)

Enjoy: history 😍

Such an interesting topic. I love learning about the different cultures and lifestyles of old and gaining an insight into how our present has been shaped by the past.
Reply 5
It changes all the time, due to certain topics, especially when we spend a long time on a topic that really catches me out or baffles me.
i love and hate art.
Fav: History
I just love history so much, all periods of it. I don't even know why, I just love it and understand it (I think...) and learning about it is endlessly fascinating. Even stuff I think will be boring can be interesting if I just read a bit on it.

Least fav: Geography
I admittedly didn't do geography past year 8, but I hated it so much. It was science but even more boring and everything we learned about that wasn't tectonic plates or whatever was just dull.

Special mentions for least fav:
Drama, Food Tech.
Physics: love applying mathematics and theory to ideas which I may not have been taught but can understand it from applying ideas I know. Do engineering now, some CW is a bit dull but some of the stuff learnt in labs I found very interesting like how the behaviour of a concrete beam changes due to applying too much or too little reinforcement and applying theory to understand why its behaviour changed.

French: my choice to do it in GCSE was pretty forced rather than due to enjoyment since I only did it because it was seen as a good subject for uni, hated studying it and was pointless in the end, needed a private tutor to do ok in it. Might take up a east asian language during my free time as I am actually intrigued to learn one but French I never had a genuine interest in.
Reply 9
Love: Anything STEM

Hate: Anything non-STEM
Subject I like? more than one. I take...

Biology!

It was my entrance in natural sciences and the branches are so various and linked with the other natural science subjects, especially chemistry, a subject which I think the same. I had a passion for branches in biology before I know what physics and chemistry mean.

And I 'hate' Latin (normally I like this language)!

Gosh, it is uniquely frustrating in learning a language. Iti s just to revise the vocabularies and the grammars to cope with it - just to translate texts written in Latin language. It was and still is the way I can't learn a language at all, no one would learn a language in this way, because language is more than just translating. This method of learning a language is not effective, it is so irritating. Even if it is a dead language which is not spoken for thousands of years, I really wish that Latin lessons for students would not consist of revision for vocabularies, grammars and translating only, but also in how to speak and to use it, as if this language still exists. Only practiced languages keep in mind.
(edited 6 years ago)
I hate hate hate hate hate hate english and physics.

I love love love love love love chemistry and maths!!!!!!!!!
Original post by Kallisto

Biology!

It was my entrance in natural sciences and the branches are so various and linked with the other natural science subjects, especially chemistry, a subject which I think the same. I had a passion for branches in biology before I know what physics and chemistry mean.

Gosh, it is uniquely frustrating in learning a language. Iti s just to revise the vocabularies and the grammars to cope with it - just to translate texts written in Latin language. It was and still is the way I can't learn a language at all, no one would learn a language in this way, because language is more than just translating. This method of learning a language is not effective, it is so irritating. Even if it is a dead language which is not spoken for thousands of years, I really wish that Latin lessons for students would not consist of revision for vocabularies, grammars and translating only, but also in how to speak and to use it, as if this language still exists. Only practiced languages keep in mind.

Well, I love them all really :biggrin:.

And, I slightly disagree with some of your criticism on Latin. Only a solid understanding of its grammar and a good base of its vocabulary can help you cope with syntax.
Favourite: Languages - so so interesting and fun to learn. It's one of the most rewarding subjects and I love how many subjects are involved in A Level languages (such as politics, sociology, history etc.)

Least favourite: Chemistry. I couldn't give any less of a sh*t about what happens if you mix two metals together and what colour spark is created. How I survived GCSE Chemistry is beyond me. I hated it.
Reply 14
Maths.

Just cos.
Reply 15
Original post by Kallisto

Biology!

I had similar issues with Sanskrit (and to a lesser degree, Pali). Stick with it, it rewards in its own way.
Original post by UWS
Maths.

Just cos.

I totally unders-tan-d

:giggle:
I hate biology chemistry physics just cause
I like psychology because it’s hella interesting
Original post by LaMandarine
Well, I love them all really :biggrin:.

And, I slightly disagree with some of your criticism on Latin. Only a solid understanding of its grammar and a good base of its vocabulary can help you cope with syntax.

Did you have take triple science too? I did and have never regretted.

Maybe it is just me, but I am just able to learn a language when it is active (speaking and using), not if it is passive.
Love: Maths and Chemistry! I love them because they make sense to me and most of the time have a set answer

Hate: Anything to do with English, it makes no sense to me!

Quick Reply

Latest