The Student Room Group

Name a subject you enjoy+ hate and why.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kallisto
Did you have take triple science too? I did and have never regretted.

Maybe it is just me, but I am just able to learn a language when it is active (speaking and using), not if it is passive.

That's how I learnt English, as close to native level as I can for a non-native. :biggrin:
But that can't work the same for Latin unfortunately. It is "a dead" language, regardless how much I'd like to hear people speak it on the streets nowadays. Since we no longer have native Latin speakers around, we have to resort to the old-fashioned method. Even if that would be the case, it is vital to understand Latin through the conventional method, to separate its science works from its prose and poetry.
Despite it being more pedantic and time consuming, learning Latin the old way is how you can really begin to hear the beauty of Virgil for instance.

Even in the case of English, I started with Grammar, and now you have me - a non native speaker- have to teach my native English partner declensions :lol:

As for what I took, it's a bit more complicated. I come in Romania, and over there we have "profiles". I wanted to do natural sciences (to go to medicine) only to have my parents push me to do calculus and programming. Since I was mediocre at those, I ended up doing humanities in University. I am an absolute mess, essentially. With that being said, you can do mathematics and programming in Romania as a "narrow" profile, but we still study around 18 to 21 subjects each year. Profiles are only determinant of what you take at A levels; outside that, unless you're isolated in Humanities, in Natural Sciences and Maths & Programming you essentially do the same subjects, with a minor change in the intensity of the core subjects.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hate- dont know if it counts but fricking PSHE.

It is actual cancer. 'Write down 5 things that are good about you' - could just about write one, and then I wrote a bunch of BS. I wrote that I am good at finishing my work, and then didn't finish it lmao. We also spent most of a lesson talking about god damn McDonalds. There is a fat kid in the class (no, not me, the other one) and they have a joke about him and mcdonalds (he carries it on himself / starts it). Miss decided to ask him first about it and everyone just started laughing xD

Like - Maths (yes, I'm weird)

I guess I've just always been alright at it, and I enjoy it. I have a maths test tomorrow though... I got the second highest in the class last time (just wanted to add in that I am in set 1 :colondollar:) and I was convinced that I had done terrible in it.

I am ready to fail this one though... Just cannot do whatever it is we are doing in maths at the moment... I can't even remember what it is... -.-
Original post by LaMandarine
x

You are a non-natitive? me too! you are really good in this language, so good that I can't distinguish you from a native. I don't see this as a reason to use the old fasioned method to learn Latin. Don't see a problem for it. It is not so difficult to gather 100 students just to learn active speaking. I am serious. Gathering Latin students just to learn how to use the knowledge of grammar and vocabulary is very effective than to railroad one Latin lesson after another.
Original post by Kallisto
You are a non-natitive? me too! you are really good in this language, so good that I can't distinguish you from a native. I don't see this as a reason to use the old fasioned method to learn Latin. Don't see a problem for it. It is not so difficult to gather 100 students just to learn active speaking. I am serious. Gathering Latin students just to learn how to use the knowledge of grammar and vocabulary is very effective than to railroad one Latin lesson after another.

Well, I'm a grumpy pedant from History, so I'll stick with the old-fashioned method :h:. With that said, we'll just have to agree to disagree :shakehand:. Although many polyglots would probably take your side.
Reply 24
Love:

Math, Physics and Economics. Ever since i was a kid, i was always doing math and playing games centralized around it. So it sort of comes to me naturally and i really really enjoy it. Same thing with physics, i just see it as mainly logic, and being quite decent at math, physics is relatively easy for me compared to sciences such as bio or chem. In regards to Economics, It's probably my favorite subject. When you know one thing in economics, it sort of clicks into place and you can understand everything. It isn't that hard either. Also, the tests are contextual for the most part, meaning you can't just mug up the key terms. You need to understand them. Also, one thing in common with these subjects is they all have 1 answer or a degree of correctness. So if you know your ****, the chances of messing up in an exam is slim.

Hate: French

I just can't do French for the life of me. I'm in set 1 and i used to be the best in my year, but one of my favorite teachers left and I've been on a downward spiral ever since. I just don't find it interesting as i know I'll forget most of it right after my GCSEs
Love: MATHS :biggrin:
Why: Just makes so much sense, it's logical and straightforward, I love solving problems and I find it really fun.

Hate: English :angry:
Why: Makes no sense at all, is way too abstract and is just SO BORING.
Love: Politics
Why? It’s the only subject I’ve ever felt had a direct and tangible purpose. Hence I’m pursuing it at uni.

Hate: English Literature
Why? Pointless subject, got an A* with no revision (At A Level), sounds cocky but it’s not, it’s more because it shows how subjective it is, people spent months revising and got C’s. That’s why I like History/Politics, they’re more factual but have the scope to include your own opinion.

Other: I also like maths and the sciences, but I never wanted a career in them so didn’t take them at A Level.
Hate: Biochemistry/chemistry

Love:Biology/immunology

so annoying that i have to do chem modules when id much rather just do straight bio
Original post by Oneiropólos
This relates to anyone at any level of education.
State a subject you hate and enjoy + why.

And then if you see that comment try and give some advice as to how to enjoy your hated subject.

I'll start obvs

Hate: Math.

Math has never been my strong suit and the main reason I deteste it is because it's not creative at all. Only one answer; which leaves the subject for me at least a bore to study.

Enjoy: English Literature.

Contrary to Math, English Literarure has always fascinated me. The perception of extracts and plays and the way I can choose to interpret it however way I want and prove my point however way I want makes me feel free.
I also love reading books which is by the way a big boost if your struggling with English.

Accidentally put thread in relationships

Maths CAN BE and IS creative.

The way it is taught absolutely kills students inside, and honestly i rlly think government, teachers and exam boards need to reevaluate how it's taught to inspire kids!!

But it is creative. Especially in algebra when there can be numerous ways of getting the same answer and looking for patterns and finding different methods.

mathss nerds feel free to back me up
Love: biology (mainly due to interesting content but don't find getting good grades easy cos of exam q's and specific ms), chemistry and maths
Hate: physics mainly bc i dont understand anything in it :tongue:
Reply 30

You and me are EXACT opposites
I love Maths and absoloutley hate English
Reply 31
I think that some subjects are like Marmite. You either love the subject or hate the subject.
Love: up to A Levels it was Biology, Chemistry and Physics, I've just always had a natural affinity towards them and never had to work very hard to get good grades. I did struggle with the jump from GCSE to A Level as I went from getting 100% in exams to getting D's and E's. Now I'd say Psychology is my favourite, it's the subject I've got the most passion for definitely.

Hate: Languages. I believe you've got to have some amount of natural talent to be good at languages and I just don't have it.
love - my sciences and maths

hate - french and english!

do like history though, it's a weird one
I like French and Latin because I love learning languages and understanding the cultures and lifestyles of the countries in which they are spoken, I don't like English Literature because learning all the quotes is a pain and I bet half the time the author didn't even mean to refer to a particular context, use a specific language device, characterise the antagonist in a certain way etc. (i'm in year 10)
Reply 35

And then if you see that comment try and give some advice as to how to enjoy your hated subject.

I'll start obvs

Math has never been my strong suit and the main reason I deteste it is because it's not creative at all. Only one answer; which leaves the subject for me at least a bore to study.

Contrary to Math, English Literarure has always fascinated me. The perception of extracts and plays and the way I can choose to interpret it however way I want and prove my point however way I want makes me feel free.
I also love reading books which is by the way a big boost if your struggling with English.

Why is Math obviously hated? I have never understood why so many people don't like Maths, its one of the only subjects that makes sense.

I'm good at most subjects I do, so I don't really have a subject I hate, but I suppose the subjects I least like are Core Humanities or English Literature, because Core Humanities isn't examined on, its just a waste of time that could be used preparing for tests, and English Literature because they are always asking you to empathize or explain the physiological feelings of a character(in my experience), and I find most people uninteresting and stupid, so I don't really like it.

My favorite subject is Maths because it is so straightforward, its not about people or feelings, its about numbers, and numbers do not only make sense, but they also do NOT lie, as well as most Maths is really easy once you know the theory, just some theories are harder to grasp for some people, but I've never found it difficult. Another reason why Maths is the best subject is because there is only ONE answer(Sometimes multiple answers I know, like Quadratic Equations) but still mostly always one answer, which is why I like it as well, because it's not subjective, 1+1=2, there is no other answer....

Anyway, those are mine.
In school the only subject I enjoyed and done well at was english language - I found the subject interesting, the teacher was enthusiastic and encouraging and I left with a B.

My absolute worst is definitely languages. We had to do a task which would mount to a big percentage of our overall grade - write a two page essay of our lives including family, likes/dislikes, hobbies etc, memorise it and then go into a room where the teacher would be sat with a tape recorder to record you reciting your spanish essay before asking you additional questions in spanish... I left with an F.

But hey ho, I am now in the final year of my Social Work degree and love all of my subjects :smile:
Love: English and History(I do it for A2)

Hate: At GCSE I hated DT(design and technology)
I hate Biology it’s f*cking cancer.
Love love LOVE History, Chemistry and Politics.

I'll start obvs

Hate: English Literature/English Lang/Art

Open to interpretation. Never a right or wrong answer. Can get marked down for having a different opinion/be ridiculed by a teacher for it. Dreaded my English lessons because of this. I got an A* and everything I wrote was utter ******** in it.

Love: Mathematics

Always a right answer (at my level of study anyway!) Very pure. No pontificating by teachers (unlike English). No real advantage if you have attended a public school or a state school with maths. No icky emotions to interpret which just get in the way of things. You just dive straight into a problem.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest