The Student Room Group

Can you learn/sit S4 before S3? (Edexcel)

I'm thinking of taking an extra module to increase chances of an A* in A2 Further Maths Edexcel, and I was thinking of taking S3 but on TSR I've heard many say that S4 is a lot easier and that S3 is the hardest stats module.

1. Is it possible to take a more advanced module having not taken previous ones? E.g. FP3 without having done FP2, D2 without having done D1

2. If so, is learning S4 before S3 even a viable option? Or would not knowing S3's content prevent me from learning S4 effectively
Reply 1
Original post by LF247
I'm thinking of taking an extra module to increase chances of an A* in A2 Further Maths Edexcel, and I was thinking of taking S3 but on TSR I've heard many say that S4 is a lot easier and that S3 is the hardest stats module.

1. Is it possible to take a more advanced module having not taken previous ones? E.g. FP3 without having done FP2, D2 without having done D1

2. If so, is learning S4 before S3 even a viable option? Or would not knowing S3's content prevent me from learning S4 effectively

I don't know much about S3/4 but even if the syllabus was completely separate, taking S4 without S3 sounds very risky since you could be asked questions from S3 content in an S4 exam. Quote from the Edexcel spec for S4:

"A knowledge of the specification for S1, S2 and S3 and its prerequisites and associated formulae is assumed and may be tested."

In other words, don't do S4 without doing S3 first :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LF247

FP3 is not dependent on FP2 so this is fine. D2 is dependent on D1.
Reply 3
Original post by Notnek
FP3 is not dependent on FP2 so this is fine. D2 is dependent on D1.

By this are you referring to the dependency of the content, or do you actually have to have taken the D1 exam before being allowed to sit D2 by edexcel?
Reply 4
Original post by LF247
By this are you referring to the dependency of the content, or do you actually have to have taken the D1 exam before being allowed to sit D2 by edexcel?

For A Level maths (Edexcel) you can't take D2 without D1 (the same for S2, M2). I don't actually know if there's a rule for further maths since module choices are less restricted but I've never heard of anyone taking D2 and not D1 - it would like doing C3 without the knowledge of C1.

@gdunne42 Do you know if there's an actual rule in further maths that says you can't take D2 (and similarly M2, S2) without taking D1 as well? Of course it would be a silly idea but I'm wondering if it also wouldn't be allowed?
Original post by Notnek
For A Level maths (Edexcel) you can't take D2 without D1 (the same for S2, M2). I don't actually know if there's a rule for further maths since module choices are less restricted but I've never heard of anyone taking D2 and not D1 - it would like doing C3 without the knowledge of C1.

@gdunne42 Do you know if there's an actual rule in further maths that says you can't take D2 (and similarly M2, S2) without taking D1 as well? Of course it would be a silly idea but I'm wondering if it also wouldn't be allowed?

No, there's absolutely no restriction on which units you choose to take or in what order. The restrictions on allowed combinations only come into place when you cash in a qualification. You could get up tomorrow and enter yourself for C2, M3, FP2 and S4 though you are right, learning some units depends on knowledge gained from prior units.
The TSM has a useful explanation of what you need to learn in one unit as a precursor to another
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A Level/Mathematics/2013/Teaching and learning materials/tsm-gce-mathematics.pdf
Only the standard maths A level has the restriction thatyou have to include an X1 unit (D1, M1 or S1) if you want to include the corresponding X2 unit (D2, M2, S2).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by gdunne42
No, there's absolutely no restriction on which units you choose to take or in what order. The restrictions on allowed combinations only come into place when you cash in a qualification. You could get up tomorrow and enter yourself for C2, M3, FP2 and S4 though you are right, learning some units depends on knowledge gained from prior units.
The TSM has a useful explanation of what you need to learn in one unit as a precursor to another
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A Level/Mathematics/2013/Teaching and learning materials/tsm-gce-mathematics.pdf
Only the standard maths A level has the restriction thatyou have to include an X1 unit (D1, M1 or S1) if you want to include the corresponding X2 unit (D2, M2, S2).

Thanks, this is what I thought.

I'm guessing since the linear A Levels are less complicated, there won't be as many admin type questions like this on TSR in the future :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by gdunne42

Okay that's very helpful, thanks for clearing it up and linking me that document, thanks guys

Quick Reply

Latest