Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Didn’t know which forum to post this in but guess this will have to do. I’ve been helping my parents clear out my grandparents’ house and something I found was a huge scale model of a British castle that my great-grandfather built. My grandfather told me it was worth a lot when he built it and he was offered a lot of money by the actual castle. But he doesn’t remember the name of it. Does anyone know or know someone who knows so much about castles that they could identify one just by looking at it? I’d be really interested to know. And can of course provide photos. Thanks.

Update - figured out how to use app here is picAttachment 709588
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Mattylong28)
    Didn’t know which forum to post this in but guess this will have to do. I’ve been helping my parents clear out my grandparents’ house and something I found was a huge scale model of a British castle that my great-grandfather built. My grandfather told me it was worth a lot when he built it and he was offered a lot of money by the actual castle. But he doesn’t remember the name of it. Does anyone know or know someone who knows so much about castles that they could identify one just by looking at it? I’d be really interested to know. And can of course provide photos. Thanks.
    I'd stick it up on here. There aren't many castles and it's bound to be local to someone on TSR, or they've been there on holiday.

ReputationRep:
    Put a pic up, I'm intrigued!

ReputationRep:
    please post a pic.

ReputationRep:
    When I can I’ll stick a pic on the original post
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Most archaeology departments of universities, probably. Birds of a feather flock together (until the cat/funding cuts come...).

You could send a query to a nearby university that offers archaeology to see if any of their academics would be willing to look over a picture.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone who wanted pics u can’t seem to edit my original post on the app so here we are
    Name:  F38D8313-E59D-4E57-A220-914DF3369271.jpg.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  15.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    Did your great-grandfather build the castle, or the scale model? (Might help to narrow it down).

It looks fairly generic, but it has two gates and a moat, which is something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    Did your great-grandfather build the castle, or the scale model? (Might help to narrow it down).

It looks fairly generic, but it has two gates and a moat, which is something.
    Very good haha it was the scale model

ReputationRep:
    I can date this to a period but I'd need to check my records. Are those multifaceted towers accurate? They are typically smooth for practical purposes until the Victorians came in and started building imitations, or implementing castle design elements in their estates.

The actual concern here is its value. This seems more like a leisure activity.

Would I want this as a castle custodian? Maybe if it was touched up and put in a glass case as a centerpiece. With some paint it could be handsome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SWCoffee)
    I can date this to a period but I'd need to check my records. Are those multifaceted towers accurate? They are typically smooth for practical purposes until the Victorians came in and started building imitations, or implementing castle design elements in their estates.

The actual concern here is its value. This seems more like a leisure activity.

Would I want this as a castle custodian? Maybe if it was touched up and put in a glass case as a centerpiece. With some paint it could be handsome.
    Yeh I’m not interested in selling it just gonna restore it a bit and maybe give it some paint just really want to know what it is a model of and why it might have been worth so much

ReputationRep:
    Give David Starkey a call.

ReputationRep:
    You may need to work with us because I can't identify it, lol.

It has a murder hole and a moat. That's medieval. But it also has octagonal towers. That's decorative. The windows are also curious. For defensive purposes they should be narrow, but they're broad.

I don't know why I want to say this because I don't think it's a realistic deception of an actual castle: But those chunky towers have a Welsh character.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SWCoffee)
    You may need to work with us because I can't identify it, lol.

It has a murder hole and a moat. That's medieval. But it also has octagonal towers. That's decorative. The windows are also curious. For defensive purposes they should be narrow, but they're broad.

I don't know why I want to say this because I don't think it's a realistic deception of an actual castle: But those chunky towers have a Welsh character.
    That’s interesting I’ll have another word with my grandfather keeping it in mind

ReputationRep:
    Looks like it could have been inspired by Bodiam. I assume the towers on the model are only octagonal because the builder didn't have the means to bend or lathe the wood into a cylinder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    Looks like it could have been inspired by Bodiam. I assume the towers on the model are only octagonal because the builder didn't have the means to bend or lathe the wood into a cylinder.
    Googled it and feel you might be right. Will ask my grandfather when I next see him.

ReputationRep:
    Where did your great grandfather live/come from?
    It may have been local

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    Where did your great grandfather live/come from?
    It may have been local
    I’m not sure I never met him but he eventually lived in Newcastle but I know his family was from Further south and I feel like he was well travelled
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I'm with SWCoffee, I'm not sure it's a real castle. The general height is too tall for its circumference. If you had the ability to build a castle this tall, you'd also make it larger, with a much bigger space in the middle. These buildings needed daylight to operate and the centre being that tight would be a problem. Plus the windows on the outside are wrong, they aren't built for defence. Plus the moat isn't wide enough to be a proper defensive structure. So I think, if it is a real building, then it's a Victorian country house, built in the style of various features of castles. It could have been built as a training piece if your grandfather was a carpenter or architect?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.