Can unis increase the offer they gave you

Watch
toniator23
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I got a really good offer and have heard that people can get their offers lowered can offers also get increased?
AuroraNyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by toniator23)
I got a really good offer and have heard that people can get their offers lowered can offers also get increased?
Not once an offer has been made and you accept it, because it's legally binding.

Some people can get offers reduced based on certain indexes a university uses - for example, applying to Edinburgh my course got reduced from AAA to ABB because I live in a "severely deprived" area, with low progression to uni. It's factors like that, but they'd be factored into the offer they give in the first place.

Offers generally aren't made higher.
wiseguy99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think they can increase them.
toniator23
Rep:
?
i haven't accpeted the offer yet though is it still legally binding
AuroraNyx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No, it only becomes legally binding once you accept it, because that's essentially forming a contract with the university. They can still change things up until the minute you accept it, unless UCAS intervenes for some reason (ie they discover you missed out a qualification etc - extreme cases like that).
toniator23
Rep:
?
so they can still increase my offer if they want
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You really do not need to worry about this, It isn't going to happen.
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You would have to ask yourself, why would they want to? They obviously liked your application enough to want to entice you with a lower off, so I don't know what would change to make them increase it.

It isn't unheard of to get a lower offer to make a course your firm, which doesn't apply if it becomes your insurance.
toniator23
Rep:
?
(Original post by ForestCat)
You would have to ask yourself, why would they want to? They obviously liked your application enough to want to entice you with a lower off, so I don't know what would change to make them increase it.

It isn't unheard of to get a lower offer to make a course your firm, which doesn't apply if it becomes your insurance.
Yh they probably wont increase its not like super low i was just expecting higher, the offer is just very achievable for me but i cant firm or insure yet
ForestCat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yh they probably wont increase its not like super low i was just expecting higher, the offer is just very achievable for me but i cant firm or insure yet
Then I wouldn't worry. Well done on the offer! What are you hoping to study?
toniator23
Rep:
?
(Original post by ForestCat)
Then I wouldn't worry. Well done on the offer! What are you hoping to study?
Business management Sheffield offered me ABB or BB with an A in finance which im 100% getting so its just BB which is very achievable and a very secure insurance if i get an offer from leeds or Birmingham (which will be my firm)
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Please note that a lot of the answers on this thread are incorrect. Universities can change offers before and after an offer has been accepted. The only difference after is that the university is *supposed* to notify the applicant and explain that there was a mistake.

The actual chances of this happening are very slim (and if you question the offer by email and they confirm that it’s correct then you will normally be able to persuade them to honour the original conditions). It’s an option that is reserved for genuine errors and risks bad publicity.

But it’s always worth remembering that ucas rules are stacked in favour of universities and not applicants.
TrelaiBoy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The entry requirements on Sheffield's website for Business Management says ABB so its their usual offer, congratulations!
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Please note that a lot of the answers on this thread are incorrect. Universities can change offers before and after an offer has been accepted. The only difference after is that the university is *supposed* to notify the applicant and explain that there was a mistake.

The actual chances of this happening are very slim (and if you question the offer by email and they confirm that it’s correct then you will normally be able to persuade them to honour the original conditions). It’s an option that is reserved for genuine errors and risks bad publicity.

But it’s always worth remembering that ucas rules are stacked in favour of universities and not applicants.
So does that mean that a uni could bait someone in with low requirements and change it after you've accepted them and it's too late to reject them?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
So does that mean that a uni could bait someone in with low requirements and change it after you've accepted them and it's too late to reject them?
Only if they made the lower offer by mistake. Ucas say that this should only happen "With applicant’s agreement" but we've had cases on TSR of universities doing it without permission and without even notifying the applicant - and UCAS did **** all to enforce their rules
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Only if they made the lower offer by mistake. Ucas say that this should only happen "With applicant’s agreement" but we've had cases on TSR of universities doing it without permission and without even notifying the applicant - and UCAS did **** all to enforce their rules
Would you recommend keeping evidence of offers so that if they change I can prove it?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
Would you recommend keeping evidence of offers so that if they change I can prove it?
I would always recommend keeping records. And if your offer is unusually high or low I would recommend querying it IN WRITING and keeping the records of the university response BEFORE accepting any offers

And I would recommend holding off accepting ANY offer until April at the very earliest.
AspiringUnderdog
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
I would always recommend keeping records. And if your offer is unusually high or low I would recommend querying it IN WRITING and keeping the records of the university response BEFORE accepting any offers

And I would recommend holding off accepting ANY offer until April at the very earliest.
Okay that's a fair point. Some people in my year have already made their choices and I found that quite weird. All of my current offers so far are standard but it would be annoying if they were to suddenly specify chemistry or further maths for the third grade.
I saw on YouTube a girl who missed a place because the uni added subject requirements even though she met the grade requirements and they denied changing it when she complained.
yellowcopter
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Funny story last year I got offered a Distinction from my firm university, after I firmed them I get a phone call saying my grade offering of a Distinction was a 'mistake' and they changed it to a lower offering of Merit. How much of a 'mistake' this was I'm not sure, but I had already firmed them so I'm not sure what their intention was. All my offers were jacked up compared to everyone else probably because on my reference I was stated as predicted to achieve Distinction.

Despite them offering me Merit, I still got Distinction anyway!

Just wanted to put that out there to say offers can be changed even after the university has been firmed or insured. At least I've heard of situations of offers being lowered such as mine, but not increased.

Likely your offer won't change, you got an offer of ABB, that's their general entry requirement and probably what you'll get. I wouldn't worry at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.52%
I'm not sure (32)
4.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (230)
31.42%
I have already dropped out (17)
2.32%
I'm not a current university student (354)
48.36%

Watched Threads