The Student Room Group

Similiarity report over 50% and nothing I can do?

Hiya guys just submitted an assignment via Turnitin and got a similarity report back of over 50.

I've checked through it and all the phrases it's picked up on are from reports i've never even read and are quite frankly generic phrases , sometimes the report is picking up words and linking them back to reports i've indirectly referenced (but still credited in accordance with academic standards)

what can i do, I feel like changing my work semantically would drastically reduce clarity but i feel like I need to get that similarity rating down ASAP before resubmission.

I haven't committed plagiarism but yet my similarity score is through the roof

Please help
Original post by Dodo0099
Hiya guys just submitted an assignment via Turnitin and got a similarity report back of over 50.

I've checked through it and all the phrases it's picked up on are from reports i've never even read and are quite frankly generic phrases , sometimes the report is picking up words and linking them back to reports i've indirectly referenced (but still credited in accordance with academic standards)

what can i do, I feel like changing my work semantically would drastically reduce clarity but i feel like I need to get that similarity rating down ASAP before resubmission.

Please help

50% is a lot.

If you can justify all your work and its referenced then imo keep it.
Alternatively you can talk to your tutor.
Keep all your research and drafts as back up.
Original post by Dodo0099

Please help

Did you actually copy it?

You can try to change the phrases it highlighted but 50% is a lot. If it really is general and you didn't copy and can prove that you didn't copy then I think you're fine. But, if the sentences is close to the original text then you have copied.
Original post by GreenBell
Did you actually copy it?

You can try to change the phrases it highlighted but 50% is a lot. If it really is general and you didn't copy and can prove that you didn't copy then I think you're fine. But, if the sentences is close to the original text then you have copied.

It's n close to the original but it's really quite general and it's often picking out 3 or 4 words and saying that it's been copied!! it's on child psychological and physical development so I'm honestly wondering if it's just because so many reports exist that the probability of me using the same words is high!
I haven't even read the stuff that has been detected on the originality report! and yet it's picking out like 2/3 common words associated with the topic, missing out connectives and saying "yep that's copied"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending