The Student Room Group

Bristol Uni - Bringing a horse?

Hi guys,

So I have received an offer from Bristol Uni for veterinary and was just trying to plan how my life would work there. I have a weird situation that mean it isn’t as easy as I thought.

I have a horse, he would be coming with me no matter what so wherever I live I need to be able to drive to him.

This means I need somewhere to park my car. I don’t mind having to travel from where I’m living to uni everyday by public transport but when I get home I need my car there to drive to the horse/ young farmers.

So basically I need an accommodation slightly out of the city with
1. good transport links into uni (maybe half hour max
2. Parking space
3. nearish to a stables

Am I being too optimistic in thinking this will work? Any experiences/ advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Tash.Friesinger
Hi guys,

So I have received an offer from Bristol Uni for veterinary and was just trying to plan how my life would work there. I have a weird situation that mean it isn’t as easy as I thought.

I have a horse, he would be coming with me no matter what so wherever I live I need to be able to drive to him.

This means I need somewhere to park my car. I don’t mind having to travel from where I’m living to uni everyday by public transport but when I get home I need my car there to drive to the horse/ young farmers.

So basically I need an accommodation slightly out of the city with
1. good transport links into uni (maybe half hour max
2. Parking space
3. nearish to a stables

Am I being too optimistic in thinking this will work? Any experiences/ advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks

No one is going to do the grunt work for u.

Try having a look online for stables near bristol university, then do some research on surrounding areas, until u narrow your search to an area with good public transport and access to a stable. Then u can start the hunt for accommodation.

Good luck, its a very unique situation which has me a little sceptical as to whether this is a troll post, but if its not hope all goes well for u.
Well I have had a look at some areas on the rail lines going outward from Bristol (I plan to move out from uni accommodation in second year) and there are some nice areas. But haven’t yet found any uni accommodations for the first year. I was just thinking if anyone else was in the same situation and had found a solution that I hadn’t thought of! Don’t worry it’s not a troll post I promise ahah
Reply 3
From a quick google search u might want to take a look at ‘Terri Hill Livery’. But do your research
Original post by Shaanv
From a quick google search u might want to take a look at ‘Terri Hill Livery’. But do your research

Thanks will have a look!
let the horse be free
Thank god i didnt apply to bristol, you really are a bunch of posh *****.

Who TF brings a horse with them to uni?
Original post by Pretty Flako

Calm down, lmao. Horses are very beautiful animals that you can build a unique connection with. Not only that, but they are often a partner in your leisure. I assume OP is a rider, and I know from experience that riding without your own horse just doesn’t feel the same. It is like doing something you’d do with your best friend without them.

I really am not posh at all. It’s my only hobby and I work hard for it... the reason I want to bring my horse to uni is because that’s my relaxation time. I don’t go out and party... never have. Call me sad or whatever I don’t care :smile:
A guy turned up to my GCSEs on a horse.

This is relevant.

Edit: Buckinghamshire.
Are you able to afford a horse as a student?
Thanks will have a look!

Contact this lot: https://www.bristolsu.org.uk/groups/riding-club

There’s likely to be members who have been in a similar situation.

You might struggle to get university accommodation with car parking. There’s often possibility to rent a car parking space privately.
Where the **** can I buy a horse? I've saved up like £600 and was planning to buy a laptop but **** it, I want to ride into college on my horse.
You know it's UoB when people are asking if they can bring a horse :biggrin:
Reply 14
I really am not posh at all. It’s my only hobby and I work hard for it... the reason I want to bring my horse to uni is because that’s my relaxation time. I don’t go out and party... never have. Call me sad or whatever I don’t care :smile:

Start partying and keep the horse for when you go back to your family.
Original post by usualsuspects
Start partying and keep the horse for when you go back to your family.

OP might be a successful equestrian for all you know. It is so pathetic that in our society going out on the lash, in the vain hope for psycho-sexual acceptance, trumps following a rewarding lifelong passion.
Reply 16
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
OP might be a successful equestrian for all you know. It is so pathetic that in our society going out on the lash, in the vain hope for psycho-sexual acceptance, trumps following a rewarding lifelong passion. Grow the **** up, kiddo.

You grow up. We all have passions, mine is sailing. Yet I didn't ask for my uni accommodation to be close to a sea or lake. I don't party for sex.

Since she hasn't said she is a pro, I supposed she rides as a hobby. If she wants, she can go back home every (other?) week.
Original post by usualsuspects
You grow up. We all have passions, mine is sailing. Yet I didn't ask for my uni accommodation to be close to a sea or lake. I don't party for sex.

Since she hasn't said she is a pro, I supposed she rides as a hobby. If she wants, she can go back home every (other?) week.

You’re right it is a hobby. But it’s a hobby where I go twice a day to see him, and if I haven’t gone, it hasn’t been a good day. It’s a strange thing to have to explain to someone who hasn’t done it... it’s why we’re known as the crazy horse kids! Going home isn’t an option because I won’t have a home (mum is moving to Amsterdam!) that’s why it’s a little bit of an odd situation :smile:

You never know - maybe it can write and take lecture notes.
This thread, along with my bacon and egg sandwich has made my morning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending