Dippyhippie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have no idea what I want to do in life. I’m not sure whether to do a degree in history/law, but after my degree I want to travel for a while - like, a few years. I don’t really want to deal with bosses and deadlines and all that stress in my early 20s, I’m sick of coming home from school and doing work and I don’t want to be doing that until I’m retired. Will travelling/ working around the world for a good few years hinder my chances of getting a good job? Like - will they think that those years were a waste of time?
Nottingham Trent University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dippyhippie)
I have no idea what I want to do in life. I’m not sure whether to do a degree in history/law, but after my degree I want to travel for a while - like, a few years. I don’t really want to deal with bosses and deadlines and all that stress in my early 20s, I’m sick of coming home from school and doing work and I don’t want to be doing that until I’m retired. Will travelling/ working around the world for a good few years hinder my chances of getting a good job? Like - will they think that those years were a waste of time?
Hi Dippyhippie

Great to hear that you are starting to think about what you want to do after University. A bit like you, I always thought that I would want to go travelling as soon as I finish university.

I personally don't think this will affect your job chances, alot of people tend to go travelling after university and as long as whilst you're at uni you gain the skills and experience to make you employable then it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps!

Chris - NTU Rep
rach5641
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are a lot of cases where travel can actually help your job chances, for example you could do camp America or teaching English as a foreign language! You could integrate something like this into your travels if you really want to boost your cv, but even if you don't I wouldn't say travel would negatively affect your chances. Unless you've been sat on your backside doing absolutely nothing before applying for a job, employers don't seem to mind what you've done between uni and applying, as long as you've been doing something
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (688)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (865)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (389)
19.13%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.48%

Watched Threads