(Guy), I don't know why I care about clothes, I'm worse off because of it.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm 20, in college.

I have an interest in clothes and mens style..
Not that I follow fashion shows, care for runway pieces or like womens clothes..
I just like clothes on me, how they fit, if I'd wear them, brands etc..

I think I'm worse off because of it.
I mean I could just wear what other guys wear, maybe dress a little nicer, wear like a Hilfiger puffer jacket, skinny/slim jeans and a pair of vans..

But I like designer brands, marc jacob shirts, acne studios jeans, saint laurent boots. Not that I can afford that but that's what I like, I search online for Rick Owens, Balmain, Dior..
I tend to buy stuff on ebay or in sales but I mean it's still not cheap, just cheaper.

It's not like girls really care.
If I wore what everyone else wore I'd be in the same position or better off.
I mean my friend is known as being fairly well dressed.
He buys everything from BooHoo, on nights out he wears skinny ripped jeans, a button up shirt, pair of leather shoes..

I'd probably wear a pair of nudie jeans, a silk/viscose style shirt open a couple of buttons, and a pair of chelsea boots.
But if I had to guess the jeans alone are probably more than his outfit, and it's not like anyone other than me knows that.

I'm known for dressing pretty well, but I still have to get the specific saint laurent hoodie or gucci jumper..
I'm not a 'hype beast', I don't care for Yeezy's or Supreme..

I know someone is going to attempt to sound smart and say 'so.. what's the question?'..

I'm asking what's your thoughts on this, what do you think of guys spending a lot of money on clothes, for a specific style, a specific fit, quality, buying a pair of boots because that's the boots I've seen on the people I look up to style wise..
What do you think of it? Rather than just buying a pair of Louboutins to say 'look at me I've got money'..

Do girls notice?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
I don't really think much about guys spending a lot of money on clothes, I mean if it makes them feel good and confident, so be it, let them do what they want. If girls can spend a lot of money on clothes why can't guys? Also there's nothing wrong with looking for a specific style and fit because at the end of they day it is you who's going to be wearing it and there is no point spending lots of money on clothes to look like a sack of potatoes.
Parabrad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's good you have your own sense of style - every guy and their mother (perhaps not literally) nowadays wear the same shiz so it's good you have some originality. Just don't go too mad with spending, of course.
Idklollll
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I really don't care about what guys wear tbh, but if you are interested in fashion and wear that type of clothing I guess you're more likely to attract girls who also have an interest in it and you'll already have something in common!
username3590460
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Girls obviously do notice.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ummm I would just say to calm down with all the shopping from now on... like you can still find really good non-designer clothes and just throw on a feature piece like a designer jacket or some good shoes. that's what most people do
Xopher_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm 20, in college.

I have an interest in clothes and mens style..
Not that I follow fashion shows, care for runway pieces or like womens clothes..
I just like clothes on me, how they fit, if I'd wear them, brands etc..

I think I'm worse off because of it.
I mean I could just wear what other guys wear, maybe dress a little nicer, wear like a Hilfiger puffer jacket, skinny/slim jeans and a pair of vans..

But I like designer brands, marc jacob shirts, acne studios jeans, saint laurent boots. Not that I can afford that but that's what I like, I search online for Rick Owens, Balmain, Dior..
I tend to buy stuff on ebay or in sales but I mean it's still not cheap, just cheaper.

It's not like girls really care.
If I wore what everyone else wore I'd be in the same position or better off.
I mean my friend is known as being fairly well dressed.
He buys everything from BooHoo, on nights out he wears skinny ripped jeans, a button up shirt, pair of leather shoes..

I'd probably wear a pair of nudie jeans, a silk/viscose style shirt open a couple of buttons, and a pair of chelsea boots.
But if I had to guess the jeans alone are probably more than his outfit, and it's not like anyone other than me knows that.

I'm known for dressing pretty well, but I still have to get the specific saint laurent hoodie or gucci jumper..
I'm not a 'hype beast', I don't care for Yeezy's or Supreme..

I know someone is going to attempt to sound smart and say 'so.. what's the question?'..

I'm asking what's your thoughts on this, what do you think of guys spending a lot of money on clothes, for a specific style, a specific fit, quality, buying a pair of boots because that's the boots I've seen on the people I look up to style wise..
What do you think of it? Rather than just buying a pair of Louboutins to say 'look at me I've got money'..

Do girls notice?
I too am a college student (18y/o). I mean not gonna lie, I drop at least £50 on a pair of shoes. I have a pair of £110 chelsea boots, £85 on some other buckle boots (mature people compliment me for wearing them, kids call me gay for wearing them). Everything I buy comes from Topman or Burton (mostly Topman) so I guess you could say I like my clothes too?

Usually my outfit consists of a shirt/hoodie (depending on weather) with turned up sleeves, black jeans, and a pair of boots like I mentioned earlier. I wear trainers occasionally, but personally I avoid them because of the 'school boy' vibes. Girls hate skinny jeans. I prefer slim fit, because they don't make you look like a giraffe if you have thinner legs.

I get a lot of looks from girls when I initially walk in rooms. Occasionally girls (and older dudes) compliment me on how I dress (usually the younger boys like 16 y/o say I dress weird). I get complimented in the street sometimes, which is really weird and I'm not used to it.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to dress smart or wanting fashionable clothes, however I would never spend a ridiculous amount of money on them. I prefer quality over quantity and my clothes last me a good while.

Girls do notice how you dress. Like how they notice when you are wearing a banging cologne instead of emptying a can of Lynx all over yourself when you get out of class like I see most boys do.

You don't need to spend a mad amount of money to get a good outfit. Mine probably cost me about £120-£150 (shoes being the most), then I mix and match. Designer clothing is way too expensive, but I'll never buy cheap clothing either.

Basically girls care to an extent. But it's not as important as how you carry yourself. If I was a girl, I wouldn't care about the brands, I would care about the actual clothing. Sorry that this reply is all over the place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.74%
I'm not sure (2)
1.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (39)
31.45%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.42%
I'm not a current university student (58)
46.77%

Watched Threads