The Student Room Group

York Law v Leeds Law v Warwick Law

Hey guys, I'm looking for advice on which of York , Leeds or Warwick, I should select for my fourth choice on my UCAS application. I'd appreciate it , if you could tell me your choice and why is that University better, in your opinion , than the other two.
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

City/Commercial law or very careers orientated - Warwick has the best careers service and is the most targeted, followed by Leeds

Are you strong in interviews? York requires one to get an offer so if you're good on that apply to York
York also has a very distinct way of teaching based on 'problem based learning' read up on it, see if it's your sort of thing.

Personally, as an aspiring solicitor with my sights set on the Magic circle Warwick would be my choice, but each of them are stronger at different things
Original post by Michael_Fishy
City/Commercial law or very careers orientated - Warwick has the best careers service and is the most targeted, followed by Leeds

Are you strong in interviews? York requires one to get an offer so if you're good on that apply to York
York also has a very distinct way of teaching based on 'problem based learning' read up on it, see if it's your sort of thing.

Personally, as an aspiring solicitor with my sights set on the Magic circle Warwick would be my choice, but each of them are stronger at different things

As such, I'm leaning towards York and Warwick than Leeds. Yes, I did read up on PBL, it was the factor that attracted me towards York. I think I can keep my cool and do well in interviews. I'm stuck between York and Warwick but people keep advising me to apply to Leeds as well, saying it's very prestigious. Any truth to it?
Also, how is the surrounding city to these Unis?
Original post by abhinair3004
As such, I'm leaning towards York and Warwick than Leeds. Yes, I did read up on PBL, it was the factor that attracted me towards York. I think I can keep my cool and do well in interviews. I'm stuck between York and Warwick but people keep advising me to apply to Leeds as well, saying it's very prestigious. Any truth to it?
Also, how is the surrounding city to these Unis?

'prestigious' eh not really. I mean it's reputable, and admittedly prestige is subjective but at least for me I reserve the term prestigious for 'golden triangle' Universities when it comes to Law
That's Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL.
Warwick may slightly edge out on reputation but it's negligible - you want to pick these unis based on their teaching styles, career service and your subjective interpretation of the university.

I have friends at Leeds who say the city is great - the nightlife is crazy, they're out most nights and have loads of fun
Contrary to popular belief the University of Warwick is actually in Coventry for some reason, I don’t know much about the city. I have one friend who goes there and she’s not happy but I’m not necessarily sure that’s because of the city. Also the university is pretty far out and it takes a bit to get to the city centre so take that into account
York is a nice pretty city - I hear the nightlife is average and it has the same issue as Warwick that it’s far out from the city.

Look around them if you can. If not look on google maps and read about the city.
'prestigious' eh not really. I mean it's reputable, and admittedly prestige is subjective but at least for me I reserve the term prestigious for 'golden triangle' Universities when it comes to Law
That's Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, KCL.
Warwick may slightly edge out on reputation but it's negligible - you want to pick these unis based on their teaching styles, career service and your subjective interpretation of the university.

I have friends at Leeds who say the city is great - the nightlife is crazy, they're out most nights and have loads of fun
Contrary to popular belief the University of Warwick is actually in Coventry for some reason, I don’t know much about the city. I have one friend who goes there and she’s not happy but I’m not necessarily sure that’s because of the city. Also the university is pretty far out and it takes a bit to get to the city centre so take that into account
York is a nice pretty city - I hear the nightlife is average and it has the same issue as Warwick that it’s far out from the city.

Look around them if you can. If not look on google maps and read about the city.

Thanks for all the help. My first three options are UCL, KCL and QMUL. But, I was way too conflicted to make this decision. I love York and Warwick, both their law programs look pretty solid to me. The reason I'm stressing so much on my fourth and fifth choice is that , I don't want to end up going to a Uni which I don't like. If you don't mind me asking, where are you planning to go (if you're going next year) , where are you studying (if you're studying currently and what's your experience been like) and what course did you study?
Thanks for all the help. My first three options are UCL, KCL and QMUL. But, I was way too conflicted to make this decision. I love York and Warwick, both their law programs look pretty solid to me. The reason I'm stressing so much on my fourth and fifth choice is that , I don't want to end up going to a Uni which I don't like. If you don't mind me asking, where are you planning to go (if you're going next year) , where are you studying (if you're studying currently and what's your experience been like) and what course did you study?

I'm studying Philosophy at KCL and I absoluetly love the university. Hate the course but love the Uni. Social scene is great, accomodation is fantastic, location you can not beat and I've made fantastic friends

I got A*AC at A level and have reapplied for Law at KCL (who are going to reject me as soon as I sit the LNAT), UCL, QMUL (who are going off my first Year of University instead of my A Levels), SOAS (who will give me an offer I meet if I do well in the LNAT) and Bristol - who I meet the requirements for via contextual offer

London was obviously the important factor for me - since I have friends here, who I can move in with next year instead of going into Halls - plus I adore the city
I'm studying Philosophy at KCL and I absoluetly love the university. Hate the course but love the Uni. Social scene is great, accomodation is fantastic, location you can not beat and I've made fantastic friends

I got A*AC at A level and have reapplied for Law at KCL (who are going to reject me as soon as I sit the LNAT), UCL, QMUL (who are going off my first Year of University instead of my A Levels), SOAS (who will give me an offer I meet if I do well in the LNAT) and Bristol - who I meet the requirements for via contextual offer

London was obviously the important factor for me - since I have friends here, who I can move in with next year instead of going into Halls - plus I adore the city

That's really cool, best of luck.
London is one of the important factors for me as well, considering 4 of my 5 choices are London-based. I've lived in a big city all my life and moving to a different country in a different setting, I suppose would be tough for me. I'm an International student so the A Levels are not my qualification. Although my qualification is seen as an equivalent to AAA by some unis and AAB by others. What do you think are my chances for UCL & KCL as they are my top two choices? Also, why do you think is there a difference between the unis considering my qualification as AAA and AAB?
P.S. so you're going to start with law in 2018 itself or 2019?
That's really cool, best of luck.
London is one of the important factors for me as well, considering 4 of my 5 choices are London-based. I've lived in a big city all my life and moving to a different country in a different setting, I suppose would be tough for me. I'm an International student so the A Levels are not my qualification. Although my qualification is seen as an equivalent to AAA by some unis and AAB by others. What do you think are my chances for UCL & KCL as they are my top two choices? Also, why do you think is there a difference between the unis considering my qualification as AAA and AAB?
P.S. so you're going to start with law in 2018 itself or 2019?

What system do you do? I have a decent idea of most of the major systems so I might have a better idea of your native score :P

I'll start Law in September 2018 If I'm successful.
What system do you do? I have a decent idea of most of the major systems so I might have a better idea of your native score :P

I'll start Law in September 2018 If I'm successful.

Well, I'm from India. We have three main systems in India, ISC , CBSE and the various State Boards(HSC). I completed my 12 th grade from Maharashtra HSC (which is considered as the second hardest state board and is kept in parity with ISC and CBSE) with 84%
I'm pursuing an Undergrad in Mumbai itself right now , so I hope to be in UK by 2019 when I would have completed my current degree
Well, I'm from India. We have three main systems in India, ISC , CBSE and the various State Boards(HSC). I completed my 12 th grade from Maharashtra HSC (which is considered as the second hardest state board and is kept in parity with ISC and CBSE) with 84%
I'm pursuing an Undergrad in Mumbai itself right now , so I hope to be in UK by 2019 when I would have completed my current degree

Ahhh ok - honestly I have no idea about the way Indian schooling works so sorry lol
Ahhh ok - honestly I have no idea about the way Indian schooling works so sorry lol

No problems mate! You've helped me out quite a bit already. Isn't London accommodation outrageously costly though
No problems mate! You've helped me out quite a bit already. Isn't London accommodation outrageously costly though

I pay £155 a week and that's the cheapest you can get at KCL
I know QMUL is considerably cheaper and UCL is a bit more expensive - but they are catered so it makes sense
I pay £155 a week and that's the cheapest you can get at KCL
I know QMUL is considerably cheaper and UCL is a bit more expensive - but they are catered so it makes sense

Is it feasible to consider Third party Accommodation providers like Unite or Chapter? Because I've been looking at some which are around 15-20 mins away from the Uni and have great rates
Is it feasible to consider Third party Accommodation providers like Unite or Chapter? Because I've been looking at some which are around 15-20 mins away from the Uni and have great rates

if you can find them yeah but I have never found any cheaper than King's accomodation
if you can find them yeah but I have never found any cheaper than King's accomodation

I see. Thanks a lot mate!
In your opinion , is there any other Uni I should also be looking at? I'm not looking at Oxbridge and LSE because I don't think I'll be able to get in
In your opinion , is there any other Uni I should also be looking at? I'm not looking at Oxbridge and LSE because I don't think I'll be able to get in

Try Durham or Bristol, they're the next best thing after oxbridge, LSE and UCL. If you're looking at prestige I wouldn't apply to QMUL or KCL, they aren't very prestigious.
Durham doesn't accept my qualifications exclusively for some reason. I will take a look at Bristol though, thanks.
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
Try Durham or Bristol, they're the next best thing after oxbridge, LSE and UCL. If you're looking at prestige I wouldn't apply to QMUL or KCL, they aren't very prestigious.

Mate you having a giggle? I know I said prestige was subjective but KCL is better than them both - especially for commercial/city law. Good luck sorting a vac scheme in Durham or Bristol without having to fork out loads to visit London

At they very least they're on par, but in reality KCL is just better lol.

Queen Mary has the London location but yeah I'll concede it's maybe not as prestigious. But prestige isn't the key to a job. Contacts and experience are. Both KCL and QMUL poise you better to acquire both for work in the city.
Mate you having a giggle? I know I said prestige was subjective but KCL is better than them both - especially for commercial/city law. Good luck sorting a vac scheme in Durham or Bristol without having to fork out loads to visit London

At they very least they're on par, but in reality KCL is just better lol.

Queen Mary has the London location but yeah I'll concede it's maybe not as prestigious. But prestige isn't the key to a job. Contacts and experience are. Both KCL and QMUL poise you better to acquire both for work in the city.

I mean, you do attend KCL so obviously you're going to be biased. KCL simply doesn't have the prestige of the aforementioned unis. KCL is not better than Durham or Bristol in terms of prestige for Law.

Quick Reply

Latest