alimemon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,
I am Ali from Pakistan. I am applying for Bsc Hon (Computer Science) in Sept 2018. I have got 3 universities to apply for.
1. University Of Portsmouth
2. University Of Bedfordshire
3. De Montfort University
UOP is my first priority.
Now need some suggestions from you guys, For which university I should apply.
Thanks in advance
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Suggestions in terms of what?

It depends a lot on what qualifications/subjects you're studying, and what your likely end results will be.

If you're doing A-level Maths and Further Maths, or something equivalent, and are likely to get top tier grades (i.e. A*s, 40+ in IB) then Cambridge, Oxford, or Imperial would be worth considering for example. If you're not at that level then there are plenty of others across a broad range of entry requirements that may suit.

Additionally depending on your interests, some courses may be more relevant than others based on what they offer for e.g. optional modules or potential dissertation topics. Southampton for example has a reasonable research group in computer graphics and vision - as such they have a number of optional modules available in this area. They also have research in complexity sciences, so have a few more "theoretical" computer science options available. Conversely Exeter focuses much more on web development and internet communications or alternatively in nature-inspired computation and genetic algorithms, and this is reflected in their options (they also have a few more "theoretical" options incidentally).

So one course may be less desirable to you than to others as a result of your interests. Without knowing more about these factors, it's impossible to make any sensible recommendations.
alimemon
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Suggestions in terms of what?

It depends a lot on what qualifications/subjects you're studying, and what your likely end results will be.

If you're doing A-level Maths and Further Maths, or something equivalent, and are likely to get top tier grades (i.e. A*s, 40+ in IB) then Cambridge, Oxford, or Imperial would be worth considering for example. If you're not at that level then there are plenty of others across a broad range of entry requirements that may suit.

Additionally depending on your interests, some courses may be more relevant than others based on what they offer for e.g. optional modules or potential dissertation topics. Southampton for example has a reasonable research group in computer graphics and vision - as such they have a number of optional modules available in this area. They also have research in complexity sciences, so have a few more "theoretical" computer science options available. Conversely Exeter focuses much more on web development and internet communications or alternatively in nature-inspired computation and genetic algorithms, and this is reflected in their options (they also have a few more "theoretical" options incidentally).

So one course may be less desirable to you than to others as a result of your interests. Without knowing more about these factors, it's impossible to make any sensible recommendations.
Thanks for the reply. I need suggestions that which is best between 3 universities. I have completed my 3 years diploma from Aptech Computer Education. Some Universities in UK provide exemptions if you hold an Aptech Diploma. So on these basis I have to make choice which University is ( Best for studies, Job Opportunities, Lifestyle, Etc).
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alimemon)
Thanks for the reply. I need suggestions that which is best between 3 universities. I have completed my 3 years diploma from Aptech Computer Education. Some Universities in UK provide exemptions if you hold an Aptech Diploma. So on these basis I have to make choice which University is ( Best for studies, Job Opportunities, Lifestyle, Etc).
So you're only choosing between these three specifically? I'd probably say Portsmouth would be considered the best academically by a slighy margin, and Portsmouth is a fairly well established university city in terms of student activities. However Bedfordshire may be a better location depending on your perspective.

DMU is in Leicester, which may be a little remote and parochial perhaps, while Bedfordshire is on the north end of "Greater London" in Luton - that is, not the City part, but the wider metropolis and suburban areas. The latter is thus probably best for airport access, and probably has far more diversity of population than the others. Portsmouth is probably about 2-3 hours by train to London (it's a direct link from Southampton to Waterloo, so not a difficult journey), although there is an airport in Southampton which is right next to Portsmouth (the city that is).

I can't really comment on specific aspects of student enjoyment and facilities - I do have a friend who went to Portsmouth (he actually started on CS as well), and he had a mixed, although overall I think positive, time there. I don't think he regrets going, although he found the more mathematical aspects of the CS course extremely challenging (he had a very limited maths background) and switched course to a related course that was more applied in nature.
alimemon
Rep:
?
Thank you so much man. Just a question, what are the chances of job in portsmouth relating to CS. Is it easy to find job in portsmouth? or do I have to travel cities to find a job? Because I heard that portsmouth is a small city.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (356)
56.15%
I don't have everything I need (278)
43.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed