The words "drugstore,pharmacy,chemist's"

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Seungha Lee
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hello everyone!

It's my first time to write++here. I'd like to know++the differnece of some vocabulary. A few days
ago, I read some article, and there I read chemist's,pharmacy and drugstore. In korean, all of them
mean ¾à±¹ (a store where medicines are prepared and sold). but I think they are a little bit
different. I'd like to know it.

Could you explain how different they are?

I'll waiting for your answer.

Thank you for reading.

Bye.

Seungha,Lee

-------------- ÀÎÅÍ³Ý Ä«¸®½º¸¶ KORNET -------------
Hemlock
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I'll reply what I know. A chemist is a professional that works in chemistry. Is not usually in a
public place; he works in industry or may teach in college.

A pharmacy is a section of a drug store that makes up prescription medicine. In the USA a drug store
sells just about everything from aspirin to fishing poles. Strangely enough the corner drug store
might have a small restaurant to sell cokes and hot dogs(lunch).

I think in England a chemist is a person who we call a pharmacist.(US) The person makes up pills and
medical concotions for people.

HTH Hemlock

Seungha Lee wrote:

[q1]> Hello everyone![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It's my first time to write++here. I'd like to know++the differnece of some vocabulary. A few days[/q1]
[q1]> ago, I read some article, and there I read chemist's,pharmacy and drugstore. In korean, all of[/q1]
[q1]> them mean ¾à±¹ (a store where medicines are prepared and sold). but I think they are a little bit[/q1]
[q1]> different. I'd like to know it.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Could you explain how different they are?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'll waiting for your answer.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thank you for reading.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Bye.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Seungha,Lee[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> -------------- ÀÎÅÍ³Ý Ä«¸®½º¸¶ KORNET -------------[/q1]

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1
Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
John Ings
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 19:09:23 +0900 (KST), Seungha Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>I read chemist's,pharmacy and drugstore. In korean, all of them mean a store where medicines are[/q1]
[q1]>prepared and sold.,. but I think they are a little bit different.[/q1]

Those words are all used to describe the same kind of store. "Chemists" is a word used in England
and some of its colonies and former colonies. "Drugstore" and "pharmacy" are used interchangably in
the US and Canada. In Canada on rare occasions you might see "chemists". I've never seen the word
used for a drugstore in the States.

The word "pharmacy" is also used to describe a place where medicines are prepared and dispensed in
hospitals and clinics. They are in that case not a store and the terms "drugstore" and "chemists"
are not used, they are always called pharmacies.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
34.18%
No (518)
65.82%

Watched Threads