A multicultural society or a patchwork quilt? Watch

Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was once discussing baby names at a meeting of home educating parents. They mentioned how many once popular baby names from the baby boomer era, and even the 1970s and 80s, are no longer popular whilst at the same time some common baby names from the late 19th and early 20th century that fell out of fashion in the post war years through to the late 20th century are making a comeback. Another point was raised about the increase in the number of Americanised or synthetic or naff names that have proliferated since the late 1990s. All of the parents had what in their year of birth would have been a recognised name but some of them had lost popularity this side of the millennium. The discussion then moved onto how despite parents today being far less conservative at choosing a name than their own parents, resulting in an increase in diversity of names, Asian and Middle Eastern names have completely failed to make any impact with white indigenous parents even if they are looking for something exotic or offbeat. I then stated how it's strange that so many white indigenous British people enjoy eating Indian food but will never give their baby an Indian name.

Do you think that the failure of foreign names to make impact with white British indigenous parents is an indication that Britain is less of a multicultural society and more of a patchwork quilt. Names given to babies of foreign origin, with the possible exception of Jamaican and some African communities, are generally quite conservative and often similar to those of their parents and grandparents generation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (146)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.91%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (133)
16.9%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.36%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (240)
30.5%

Watched Threads