The Student Room Group

nasty triple integration by parts question!

hello, i was wondering if someone could help me do this question? i've tried many times, but i can't seem to get a solid answer.

i know the final answer should be 1, but i can't form the correct integral to get this.

help would be very much appreciated, thanks!Capture.JPG
you should use a well known trig relationship to replace cosx sinx
Original post by ZiggyStardust_
hello, i was wondering if someone could help me do this question? i've tried many times, but i can't seem to get a solid answer.

i know the final answer should be 1, but i can't form the correct integral to get this.

help would be very much appreciated, thanks!Capture.JPG

coxsinx can be replaced with 1/2sin2x (double angle formula)
Original post by the bear
you should use a well known trig relationship to replace cosx sinx

wOW im such a moron, i spent ages on this question and didn't even CONSIDER replacing sinxcosx ....smh

so just to check, i can change sinxcosx to 1/2sin2x right?
Original post by ZiggyStardust_
wOW im such a moron, i spent ages on this question and didn't even CONSIDER replacing sinxcosx ....smh

so just to check, i can change sinxcosx to 1/2sin2x right?

https://i.imgur.com/XJyemeI.jpg
Original post by Pretty Flako
coxsinx can be replaced with 1/2sin2x (double angle formula)

Would be a lot easier to use your answer to part a.
Use integration by parts letting u = cosx and v' = sinxe^cosx (very similiar to answer to part a) and you get a simple integration by parts, leaving you with 1 as the answer.

These questions often require you to use a part a
Or start out with the substitution of u=cosx so you get dx=du/sinx so then you get integral of ue^u du which is just a simple parts jobie :smile:.
Original post by allen.ba.00
Would be a lot easier to use your answer to part a.
Use integration by parts letting u = cosx and v' = sinxe^cosx (very similiar to answer to part a) and you get a simple integration by parts, leaving you with 1 as the answer.

These questions often require you to use a part a

Actually yeah missed it was definite integration, that would be the easiest way in the case although if I was presented with the integral without part a, I would do it the way I did it.

Quick Reply

Latest