Could I get into Cambridge with bad GCSE's? Watch

alevelstudentttt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I would like to study law at university.
Hey, I have just started in year 12 and so far I'm been doing pretty well as I have been hitting my target grade of a B so far.
However, last year I did terribly in my GCSE's. It was mostly my fault and I wish I been motivated enough throughout the two years to start working hard from the start.
The gcse'so I got were:
English literature: 8
Religious Studies: A*
Core science: A
French: A
Art:A
Further science: B
Psychology: B
English language: 5
Further additional science: c
Maths: 4
I know they're really bad grades but if I did resits for maths, further additional science and English language and aimed for B's or level 6's would that still count or would no university even look at resit grades?
Also, if I took a more than 3 a levels and got A/A* in all of them would that make my chances of getting an interview slimmer?
Also if I had an amazing personal statement, all A's or A*'s at a level and a good interview would that strengthen my chances?
Sorry for all the questions (and the waffling - I think I've made some typos too) but please answer or give me any advice if you can.
Thank you
raskolnikova
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cambridge view AS results as a far more reliable indicator of capacity to excel at university. They are still relevant, but they will not hinder your application to the point where it is not worth applying (as would probably be the case at Oxford).
Cambridge interview 90% of Law applicants so if you write a strong personal statement, good predicted/attained grades, there is no reason why you should not get an interview, which is your opportunity to vocalise your genuine enthusiasm for the course.
Also, be careful about what college you apply for. Some colleges give out higher offers, even though the standard Cambridge offer for Law is A*AA. For example, Churchill give out A*A*A* offers, and I know Magdalene have given out A*A*A offers. Therefore, make sure you research each college and look at their history of giving offers for Law.
Good luck
alevelstudentttt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by raskolnikova)
Cambridge view AS results as a far more reliable indicator of capacity to excel at university. They are still relevant, but they will not hinder your application to the point where it is not worth applying (as would probably be the case at Oxford).
Cambridge interview 90% of Law applicants so if you write a strong personal statement, good predicted/attained grades, there is no reason why you should not get an interview, which is your opportunity to vocalise your genuine enthusiasm for the course.
Also, be careful about what college you apply for. Some colleges give out higher offers, even though the standard Cambridge offer for Law is A*AA. For example, Churchill give out A*A*A* offers, and I know Magdalene have given out A*A*A offers. Therefore, make sure you research each college and look at their history of giving offers for Law.
Good luck
Thank you so much for the reply!
Do you think it would matter if I resat my maths and Englishlanguage GCSE's? Would I have less of a chance?
raskolnikova
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by alevelstudentttt)
Do you think it would matter if I resat my maths and Englishlanguage GCSE's? Would I have less of a chance?
You have pass grades in them so it is not compulsory, but I do not see why they would perceive you resitting GCSEs as a detriment.
AspiringUnderdog
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some universities, I think LSE being one, will require a 6 in English language so could be worth resitting. Cambridge doesn't have this requirement though.
Also, taking more than 3 A levels won't disadvantage you other than having less time to revise for a single subject.
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Really do not bother with resitting gcse.
Not only it’s not important or necessary but also if you show improvement from gcse to a-level, they consider it as a positive sign as you’re on upward trajectory.
So much better than someone who performed brilliantly at gcse but somewhat ****ged at AS/A-level in which case they see it as a concerning sign as you’re not coping with higher level of the subject at A-level as you did at GCSE.
That’s how they use your GCSE grades = contextual data. (Also comparison of your GCSE performance vs your school’s average performance)
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Duuude, I'd be so happy with those grades? It's really quite insulting when people like me, who passed with Bs and Cs, see posts like these complaining how bad As are ! :/ Good luck though...
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cambridge aren't really bothered about GCSEs. Different story for Oxford. Echoing everything that vincrows said.

(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
Duuude, I'd be so happy with those grades? It's really quite insulting when people like me, who passed with Bs and Cs, see posts like these complaining how bad As are ! :/ Good luck though...
People have different aspirations...
xBasedChris
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One person's standards are not those of another. If you are happy with your own grades, and they meet your standards, then be happy. There is no need to get offended over another person's goals, it is all relative to their own abilities and expectations.
wastedcuriosity
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xBasedChris)
One person's standards are not those of another. If you are happy with your own grades, and they meet your standards, then be happy. There is no need to get offended over another person's goals, it is all relative to their own abilities and expectations.
I'm not happy with my own grades, I would have loved to get all As but unfortunately I was not completely in control when I was taking my exams. I'm only offended because it makes me feel bad that some people believe these grades are terrible; like, what would they think of mine?
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not happy with my own grades, I would have loved to get all As but unfortunately I was not completely in control when I was taking my exams. I'm only offended because it makes me feel bad that some people believe these grades are terrible; like, what would they think of mine?
It understandably upsets you, but it's not really something that should be blamed and targeted at the OP.

As you say, some people would view 5 good passes as brilliant, others a mixture of Bs/Cs, others mostly As/A*s. It's all relative.
xBasedChris
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One's grades are a result of one's own circumstances, not those of another. The OP never said that those grades were terrible in all circumstances, he simply was disappointed with having got them given his own expectations and his own impression of his abilities. Just focus on your own grades, and what you want - not what some people might think about them.
crazywithluck
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Everyone is a lot harder on themselves than other people... I was pleased with my GCSE's as I got 11 A/A* grades, but I felt a lot happier for some of my friends who'd struggled and revised a lot and managed to get 8 B's.

The person who posted this didn't mean to offend anyone and to be fair to them, it's a good question as there is this preconception that you cannot go to Oxbridge without masses of A* grades at GCSE, so it's understandable that they think their results aren't great in comparison to what a university like Cambridge would be looking for ☺️
xBasedChris
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by _gcx)
It understandably upsets you, but it's not really something that should be blamed and targeted at the OP.

As you say, some people would view 5 good passes as brilliant, others a mixture of Bs/Cs, others mostly As/A*s. It's all relative.
Exactly. It is all relative. I was brilliant at Politics, and would have been disappointed in anything less than 100% in the A-Level. Fortunately, I got that. Meanwhile, I was terrible at French, and was ecstatic to get a C in it at GCSE. Our impression of our grades is entirely linked to our own expectations and our own abilities, all else is irrelevant.
wastedcuriosity
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by _gcx)

I wasn't meaning to blame or target the OP, I guess I just see a lot of these posts around and it's a little annoying. But thanks for your reply, I understand that other's perceptions of success may not be another's.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.49%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.85%
Terrified (381)
22.23%
Meh (169)
9.86%
Confused (37)
2.16%