This discussion is closed.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by angelx)
depends how good u r at maths.

I did Further Maths. Yeah it is hard work but I had great teachers plus was good at maths, so I didnt have to spend ages on one question, so I had more time to do work for other subjects.
But like some ppl here said some unis see maths and further maths as one subject. When i went for an open day at LSE, they told us that but then again a friend of mine got into LSE with further maths and accountancy, which suppose to be the subjects LSE dislikes.
LSE sound a bit arsey when it comes to accepting certain A-level subjects, they aren't that good.
FunkMasterN
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I am currently doing further maths in year 13. As a result, last year i completed a whole A Level in Maths, in which I got an A. This means that i can recieve an offer based on the other 3 subjects I do at A2 because I already have an A grade in a full A level. Surely that is an advantage...

LSE do not dislike further maths as long as you do other subjects that compliment that course you apply for.

~N~
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Further Maths is great, loads of people in my school took 5 and then 4 or 3... it isn't that hard! I reckon that you should carry on til half term and then reassess the situation! Good luck with whatever you do!
BloodyValentine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Do Biology instead of Further Maths I'm doing both this year (hopefully they'll let me drop out of F.M. in January when I've done P3,P4,M3,M4) and it really tends to get you down the amount of maths you have to do.
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BloodyValentine)
Do Biology instead of Further Maths I'm doing both this year (hopefully they'll let me drop out of F.M. in January when I've done P3,P4,M3,M4) and it really tends to get you down the amount of maths you have to do.
If you're doing that many modules in january, isn't it worth doing 2 more and getting the A level! {M4 was soooo hard! I taught myself!}
BloodyValentine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ogs)
If you're doing that many modules in january, isn't it worth doing 2 more and getting the A level! {M4 was soooo hard! I taught myself!}
Actually I'm redoing P2/M2 as well since i flopped in both unfortunately doesn't matter i only have maths modules in january. If i give up in January it means i don't have to do P5/P6/M5/M6 or S1 our school hasn't quite decided which one yet.
And further maths isn't that important for the courses i want to do
twh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
im now doing A2 Further Maths - its a lot of work, but it really is quite fun. it hasnt detracted from my other subjects (except when the exams come, but for me that has never been a problem, as i do Maths, FM, Theatre Studies and ICT - so it was always just me revising for FM and ICT, the other two not needing much revising at all).
i think it depends on 2 things - 1. do you think you can cope with everything? 2. are you looking to do a maths related subject at university, and which unis r u looking at?
most unis i have spoken to about fm have said they accpet it - in fact the only one who has said they do not accept it was LSE, but i was going with a friend for his Eco and Maths course so it wasnt a problem for me lol!

why on earth are you doing m4 + p5? our school dropped them. we do: p1,p2,p3,p4,p6,m1,m2,m3,s1,s2,s3 and d1! D1 is great - but the new yr12s get to do C1 which would have suited me perfectly! oh well, we will soldier on with m3 lol.
goku999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
To be honest, i do not know what my career will be as i think it is too early. I will be looking for careers involving maths and science or both. If i get the grades and a medicine degree can be done with maths, chemistry and physics WITHOUT biology then i'll do that and hopefully be a doctor. but will doin further maths open other career paths for me?
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by goku999)
If i get the grades and a medicine degree can be done with maths, chemistry and physics WITHOUT biology then i'll do that and hopefully be a doctor.
NB - If you don't do Biology to at least AS, you severly reduce the number of medical schools you can apply to - check the prospectuses.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hihihihi)
Don't drop biology because most unis say that you cannot have maths and further maths as 2 different subjects- ie you can only submit one of maths or FM.
since when?
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
since when?
as a physicist, yes, i'm sure further maths is very important.

as a medic, single maths isn't even essential, so the majority of unis would not accept both a maths & FM grade to make up 2 components of a 3 grade offer (which is the standard), as far as i'm aware. Their policy towards this will be in the psospectus probably though, or contact the AT & ask?
Leeroy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
LSE regards further maths the same as single maths btw :rolleyes:
no thats not true im afraid
*Skippy*
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hi i am a student who will try and study 5 AS subjects including maths, further mths, biology, chemistry and physics. but is reality i may only be only to have time to do four and get a good grade. But what i don't get is is there a big advantage being able to cope with further maths? What is it? And should i drop biology to do further maths?

u poor thing i woodnt do it! ive only just started my g.c.s.e's but my bf is in his 2nd year at sixth form n carried on maths n got an A in g.c.s.e n a U in as level coz he sed it was so difficult he just coodnt do it n gave up 1/2 way through the year!
neha p
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hi i am a student who will try and study 5 AS subjects including maths, further mths, biology, chemistry and physics. but is reality i may only be only to have time to do four and get a good grade. But what i don't get is is there a big advantage being able to cope with further maths? What is it? And should i drop biology to do further maths?
no advantage with f.maths
it depends what you want to do...in my interview, the uni was more interested why i chose my fourth subject than how i got on with my other 3 science sujects
Jack Schitt
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by neha p)
no advantage with f.maths
it depends what you want to do...in my interview, the uni was more interested why i chose my fourth subject than how i got on with my other 3 science sujects
what was your interview on? (what course you applied for/offered?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (131)
46.45%
Pro-humanity (151)
53.55%

Watched Threads