The Student Room Group

Shape of BrF3?

I cant figure out what the shape/bond angles of BrF3 would be. I've worked out that it has 5 bonding pairs of electrons, so the Br has three bonds and two lone pairs, but I'm not sure what shape that would form? I think it would be based off trigonal bipyramidal but I don't know what the angles would be.
Original post by lucubration
I cant figure out what the shape/bond angles of BrF3 would be. I've worked out that it has 5 bonding pairs of electrons, so the Br has three bonds and two lone pairs, but I'm not sure what shape that would form? I think it would be based off trigonal bipyramidal but I don't know what the angles would be.

It’s actually T shaped! This is because there are 2 lone pairs in the bromine and 3 bonding pairs to fluorine atoms. This means the bond angles are around 90 degrees
Reply 2
Original post by AlanAnonymouss
It’s actually T shaped! This is because there are 2 lone pairs in the bromine and 3 bonding pairs to fluorine atoms. This means the bond angles are around 90 degrees

Thanks!
Reply 3
T-shaped. Br has two lone pairs and had 3 bonding pairs of Fluorine. Therefore there is a total of 5, (trigonal bipyramid). But the lone pairs change the angle to 90 in all dimensions.

Quick Reply

Latest