How good is City University London for Law? Watch

lsr_99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I am an American who is interested in studying law in the UK. So far I have done loads of research, but because I am not from England, I only know so much about the school's reputation. My back up plan is to stay in the US and study law here (which would take me seven years total because of the way our school system works) at a law school that is highly regarded in my state, but I would rather go to the UK. My end goal is to be an international business lawyer of some sort in either New York City or Washington D.C where I can then go into politics. City's offer is conditional on the amount of IB points I can get, and because I am a May tester I don't have my predicted grades yet, but I am assuming they will be close to a 30. So my question is: Is City a good choice for studying law?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lsr_99)
Hello, I am an American who is interested in studying law in the UK. So far I have done loads of research, but because I am not from England, I only know so much about the school's reputation. My back up plan is to stay in the US and study law here (which would take me seven years total because of the way our school system works) at a law school that is highly regarded in my state, but I would rather go to the UK. My end goal is to be an international business lawyer of some sort in either New York City or Washington D.C where I can then go into politics. City's offer is conditional on the amount of IB points I can get, and because I am a May tester I don't have my predicted grades yet, but I am assuming they will be close to a 30. So my question is: Is City a good choice for studying law?
It's ok. Not in the elite and not the worst. About a B- Isnt 30 quite low for IB? Main attraction for international students is it is in London.
lsr_99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
It's ok. Not in the elite and not the worst. About a B- Isnt 30 quite low for IB? Main attraction for international students is it is in London.
IB is out of 42 points, but it can be quite difficult to get any higher than a 32 because of the way points are awarded. Most people get about a 28 which is decent.

I had visited London before and loved the city, but I guess my issue is: is it worth it? Is living in London worth going to a school that is just 'ok'? However, on the other hand, I don't know how that school compares to the American University I will be attending if I don't go to City.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
IB is out of 42 points, but it can be quite difficult to get any higher than a 32 because of the way points are awarded. Most people get about a 28 which is decent.

I had visited London before and loved the city, but I guess my issue is: is it worth it? Is living in London worth going to a school that is just 'ok'? However, on the other hand, I don't know how that school compares to the American University I will be attending if I don't go to City.
Wouldnt it be quicker and cheaper to qualify?
London is expensive, but it could be the opportunity of a lifetime. Its a good uni imo, just not an elite one.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

30 is very low. You will not get into any better uni than City with those points.
DancingGroot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They're building a new law building for 2019/20 so it's only getting better it's just average in terms of ranking though, don't choose it for the sake of being in "London". I don't understand the hype of"London" but that's probably because I live here
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

30 is a wholly unexceptional grade in the IB. Notorious is right - if you can get an offer from City, take it. Your grades would otherwise confine you to far worse universities.

What are your other options in the UK and the US?
Study With Myk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Dont go to london...its an expensive city and if you want to go their london school of economics is the school to go to
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Study With Myk)
Dont go to london...its an expensive city and if you want to go their london school of economics is the school to go to
Not with a 30 in the IB. That's literally the dilemma faced by the OP. You might as well have told him to go for law at Oxford.
claudiorafael
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My expertise is not law, but business...
If you told me you wanted to pursue a career in Law in the UK I would say going to City University in London would be enough despite of other and better options. But if you want to come back to the US your degree won’t be regarded at all plus how do you expect to pass the bar afterwards to exert Law in the US? I may be ignorant but the NY bar for example is extremely difficult and can you even attempt it with a UK Law degree?
RickyN7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m also an international student in the same boat as you.
I’ve been accepted to Royal Holloway and Surrey so far, so I suppose City should also make an offer soon.
I’m leaning towards City, as it’s in the heart of London, and that’s a big plus for me.
Are the unis of Surrey and Royal Holloway better than City for Law? I wonder...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (218)
70.32%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
10.97%

Watched Threads