Tips for renting as a student for the first time

Watch
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I made a post the other day about being frustrated with potential flatmates being flaky and unorganised, so I've decided to look for a place of my own. So far I'm searching for 1 bed flats (that would be ideal as it's quieter and only myself to make mess, no-one else to clean up after) as well as some house shares / other student accommodation. I've spotted a few I like and am enquiring about them, and have a viewing for a flat on Wednesday. I know my budget and what I want.

I was just wondering if there's any tips on things I should and shouldn't do when looking for my own place. I currently live in halls and I'm in my first year. Are there any particularly good websites to browse? Anything I should definitely avoid? Anything that are red flags I might not realise? Any tips will be really appreciated.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I made a post the other day about being frustrated with potential flatmates being flaky and unorganised, so I've decided to look for a place of my own. So far I'm searching for 1 bed flats (that would be ideal as it's quieter and only myself to make mess, no-one else to clean up after) as well as some house shares / other student accommodation. I've spotted a few I like and am enquiring about them, and have a viewing for a flat on Wednesday. I know my budget and what I want.

I was just wondering if there's any tips on things I should and shouldn't do when looking for my own place. I currently live in halls and I'm in my first year. Are there any particularly good websites to browse? Anything I should definitely avoid? Anything that are red flags I might not realise? Any tips will be really appreciated.
Check out all the local estate agents and rightmove and zoopla. You need to check whether they ll accept students or not as some private landlords could be picky. Basically you want to check all the appliances look in working order , no cracks in the walls or any damp and have a look at the boiler so you know you ll be warm enough. If they ask for rent in cash then that's a definite red flag.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (712)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (897)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (395)
18.84%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.43%

Watched Threads