The Student Room Group

Do you think atheists are smarter than theists?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Taz554:-)
No not at all. Theists actually have a moral or something to live by whereas athiests don't. Albert Einstein- Jewish. al-Khwarizmi muslim the list is endless. Everybody has a mental capacity and knowledge and religion or what you believe does not mean anything. I am religious.

All atheists are immoral?
Original post by Ameba
But if we cannot prove the existence of God it doesn't necessarily mean we can unprove it either. Perhaps, in this case the agnostics are the most smart, because they realise it cannot be proved or unproved and that's why they question the existence of god.

Atheists are really a type of agnostic. You will find no atheist who refutes the possibility of some undisprovable creator of the universe. It is just they recognize that that possibility of there being such a creator - whose existence should affect anything we decide to do in our lives - is effectively 0.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Morality is an innate in humans. No-one needs to get it from anywhere to have it. People developed morality on there own before there ever was religion, people are deceloping it on there own now, and people will continue to develop it on there own after humanity as a whole has grown out of religion. There is evidence that even chimpanzees have a concept of morality.

I literally said that everybody has a mental capacity and what you believe does not matter. I gave examples of non atheists who WERE clever as the thread is called do you think atheists are smarter than theists... No point in that post.
Original post by _gcx
All atheists are immoral?

I didn't say that. I said theists have a list of orals whereas atheists dont...

The way I read it you implied that atheists were somehow had less defined morals, or lacked a set of values by which they live. Religion isn't the only thing that can provide this.

Also, missed the part where you said Einstein was Jewish. While Einstein was ethnically Jewish - but he was agnostic and ridiculed organised religious belief. (calling it childish)
Original post by _gcx
The way I read it you implied that atheists were somehow had less defined morals, or lacked a set of values by which they live. Religion isn't the only thing that can provide this.

Also, missed the part where you said Einstein was Jewish. While Einstein was ethnically Jewish - but he was agnostic and ridiculed organised religious belief. (calling it childish)

ok i have also discussed this a your point in that was?
Reply 66
No not at all. Theists actually have a moral or something to live by whereas athiests don't. Albert Einstein- Jewish. al-Khwarizmi muslim the list is endless. Everybody has a mental capacity and knowledge and religion or what you believe does not mean anything. I am religious.

How can you say atheists don't have a moral to live by? Atheists still have a sense of morality, we just don't get ours from a book.
No contest. Most people that attend denominations and cults, while professing The Messiah, are in fact atheist.
I literally said that everybody has a mental capacity and what you believe does not matter. I gave examples of non atheists who WERE clever as the thread is called do you think atheists are smarter than theists... No point in that post.

You said atheists dont have 'a moral' or 'anything to live by'. So I explained why you were chatting utter ****.
I can understand why an atheist could be led to choose that path and they do make a few valid points.
However, a lot of atheists are really smug and condescending in the way they speak. They also never listen to the views of smarter theists, only responding to the stereotypical "crazy theist." Even when they are in a debate with a theist they will never actually counter any of the points.
Both sides can be smart though.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
You said atheists dont have 'a moral' or 'anything to live by'. So I explained why you were chatting utter ****.

did you acc understand the context i was talking by. We have a set of rules and atheists dont what is so hard to bloody understand...
The take home message from this thread so far is that we really need to teach the scientific method and philosophy of science properly in school.

Some of you have clearly been let down by our education system.
my theory is that theists are a lot more humble bc they believe that there is a higher power who is all-lnowing and all-seeing
atheists have nothing to be ashamed of and have a lot more arrogant mindset and seem more confident
Original post by ggxsywes
my theory is that theists are a lot more humble bc they believe that there is a higher power who is all-lnowing and all-seeing
atheists have nothing to be ashamed of and have a lot more arrogant mindset and seem more confident

Yet it's theists who believe that the all-mighty creator of the universe specifically cares about what they do, what clothes they wear, who they have sex with etc. That sounds pretty arrogant and self-righteous to me. Whereas most atheists concede that we are nothing special in the grand scheme of things.
Original post by good mourning
Many articles profess this to be true but what do you think? Also please mention whether you are religious or not.

I am an atheist.

There are intelligent theists, but the intellectual acuteness of atheists such as Richard Dawkins compels me to say that theists may be, perhaps, more logical. Feel free to prove me wrong.
Original post by ggxsywes

What you're saying is this:

Theists are more moral (which is untrue, there is a secular basis for morality).

Atheists are more productive.
Original post by Sulfolobus
The take home message from this thread so far is that we really need to teach the scientific method and philosophy of science properly in school.

Some of you have clearly been let down by our education system.

This is the same education system that preaches feminist pap, as well. Get rid of that sh*t too, right?
Original post by alevelstudentttt
I can understand why an atheist could be led to choose that path and they do make a few valid points.
However, a lot of atheists are really smug and condescending in the way they speak. They also never listen to the views of smarter theists, only responding to the stereotypical "crazy theist." Even when they are in a debate with a theist they will never actually counter any of the points.
Both sides can be smart though.

Yeah. I do feel like us atheists are often archetypes in that way. And we do need to consider not treating theists like they're stupid.

However, in a debate, atheists such as Richard Dawkins will definitely counter your points. Check this one out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb5uuMskioo
Original post by UWS
How can you say atheists don't have a moral to live by? Atheists still have a sense of morality, we just don't get ours from a book.

Rather, from our heads. Or society. Or innately.

Well you could argue that atheists don't have a written set of morals, but the law comes pretty damn close.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending