The Student Room Group

A level French or English literature?

I had my interview and had a conditional offer for English Lit, History, Religious Studies and Spanish.

I was really happy with the subjects that I have chosen but I have a kind of bipolar relationship with English and I’m now going through the motion of hating it 🙁 (my teacher gave me a B on my essay and really don’t understand why). It’s bad timing really as I have a mock in four days and the GCSE in the new year. I had an A in English Language in the summer which I worked extremely hard for. So that kind of made me definitely want to do English in college but now I’m not too sure.

I love languages and humanities - as you can probably see by my choices! - and I’m a very literate person.

Recently, I’ve really started to enjoy French; in my mocks I had full marks on the foundation listening exam so I did the higher exam and got 42/45. In the higher reading I got 40/50 and I’m yet to do the writing. The only thing that would probably let me down in French is the speaking as I’m not that confident.

In university I know that I want to study History and Religious Studies and I definitely want to take history as far as I can. In the future I would like to do something with history. I don’t really like the idea of teaching but I absolutely love researching things - especially history!! And I love finding out new things - so I would love to do something with it where I can research and find out new things.

So, considering that, what is the best option? Is it better to leave it until results day and compare the results? I know that if I get a B in English Lit I won’t do it A level and if I get a B in January then I’ll definitely resit in the summer. 😕

I know that I’ll easily fall out of love with French but I know I’ll always go back to loving English! It’s like a complicated love story!! 😂😂😂
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Liv2109
I had my interview and had a conditional offer for English Lit, History, Religious Studies and Spanish.

I was really happy with the subjects that a had chosen but I have a kind of bipolar relationship with English and I’m now going through the motion of hating it 🙁 (my teacher gave me a B on my essay and really don’t understand why). It’s bad timing really as I had a mock in four days and the GCSE in the new year. I had an A in English Language in the summer which I worked extremely hard for. So that kind of made me definitely want to do English in college but now I’m not too sure.

I love languages and humanities - as you can probably see my my choices! - and I’m a very literate person.

Recently, I’ve really started to enjoy French; in my mocks I had full marks on the foundation listening exam so I did the higher exam and got 42/45. In the reading i had 40/50 and I’m yet to do the writing. The only thing that would probably let me down in French is the speaking as I’m not that confident.

In university I know that I want to study History and Religious Studies and I definitely want to take history as far as I can. In the future I would like to do something with history. I don’t really like the idea of teaching but I absolutely love researching things - especially history!! And I love finding out new things - so I would love to do something with it where I can research and find out things.

So, considering that, what is the best option? Is it better to leave it until results day and compare the results? I know that if I get a B in English Lit I won’t do it A level and if I get a B in January then I’ll definitely resit in the summer. 😕

If you'll enjoy French more than do French. I do it at A-Level and I really enjoy it and don't regret taking it.
If you can get in English Lit A-Level with a B, then don't not take it if that's what you come out with. I was getting an A* throughout the whole of the GCSE Years in French, yet I came out with an A in the exam. I know I would have regretted it so much if I didn't take it because of that. A-Levels are also different to GCSE, so just because you got a B at GCSE it doesn't mean you won't do well at A-Level.

With French at A-Level you're constantly finding out new things because there's new vocab to learn, so it's really rewarding to expand your language. You also research more into France as a country, and the problems with society.

Quick Reply

Latest