The Student Room Group

English Literature Coursework

Hey, so I'm not sure how many of you are studying eng lit A-level but the word count on the c/work is 2,500 words. I'm already way over the word count and nowhere near finished. trouble is, I like all of my essay and really don't want to cut things out. would you suggest finishing first and then cutting or cutting as much as I can now and then carry on? advice appreciated, thanks :smile:
Reply 1
My advice for anything that has a word limit is to write everything then cut it down.

I had to do it two weeks ago for a 4,000 word piece of History coursework and it's easier to look at the work as a whole and then see what isn't needed rather than chopping bits off as you write. You get a better idea of what all of your key points are then.
Reply 2
Original post by Freyja M
Hey, so I'm not sure how many of you are studying eng lit A-level but the word count on the c/work is 2,500 words. I'm already way over the word count and nowhere near finished. trouble is, I like all of my essay and really don't want to cut things out. would you suggest finishing first and then cutting or cutting as much as I can now and then carry on? advice appreciated, thanks :smile:

Finishing first - to quote my A Level English Lit teacher, "you need the chunky content to then trim the fat", funny analogy but sticks in my head and I genuinely think it's true!
Reply 3
Original post by soybeano
My advice for anything that has a word limit is to write everything then cut it down.

I had to do it two weeks ago for a 4,000 word piece of History coursework and it's easier to look at the work as a whole and then see what isn't needed rather than chopping bits off as you write. You get a better idea of what all of your key points are then.

thanks very much :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Char_
Finishing first - to quote my A Level English Lit teacher, "you need the chunky content to then trim the fat", funny analogy but sticks in my head and I genuinely think it's true!

thank you very much :smile: such a good analogy!!

Quick Reply

Latest