The Student Room Group

Does anybody else feel like school is a waste of time?

Hi,

So, a little background information about myself;
- I did really well in my GCSE's and got 3 A*'s and 8As.
- I do 3 A-levels, 2 sciences and one humanity and got AAA in AS.

But, it was all my hard work in the end. All my teachers were pretty much useless. And especially nowadays, I dont really learn anything in class and it frustrates me because i end up getting demotivated by having to start everything from scratch when i get home. Like pretend to listen in school and then go home and all my work by myself. These past few weeks, ive gotten nothing done by myself and im just so drained by it all.
Any advice?

I really want AAA by the end of A2.
Reply 1
You cant really rely on teachers in my opinion and experience , to be able to achieve well you need to go the extra mile and put in work yourself , A2 is emotionally and physically draining but think of this as experience for the future ❤️ good luck
Yes. I got the highest results in my schools history and had the lowest attendance in the year, true story lol.

But the distinction I would make is school is only pointless if you’re naturally smart or very motivated to learn and teach yourself. The average 12-18 year old is neither of these things, so school serves a strong purpose for the vast majority of people.
Original post by JosephineKasai
Hi,

But, it was all my hard work in the end. All my teachers were pretty much useless. And especially nowadays, I dont really learn anything in class and it frustrates me because i end up getting demotivated by having to start everything from scratch when i get home. Like pretend to listen in school and then go home and all my work by myself. These past few weeks, ive gotten nothing done by myself and im just so drained by it all.
Any advice?

I wouldn't say waste of time, but unless teaching is in a very very small group then class just lays the foundations. Hard to judge as I have never done a subject without any teaching at all, without that ground work.
When you go to revise for exams it does often feel like you are learning 90% of it but school does provide technique, more specified facts, tailored knowledge to your exam and spices things up a bit more than being at home studying all year
I can relate. I got 9A*s at gcse and my attendance within the months leading up to may was low
School is more a learning environment than anything else. If you're starting to get burned out by all the extra studying you have to do, I would recommend taking a bit of a break over the next few weeks so you can get enough rest and then go back to it.
i fully relate to what you're saying. often at college these days, i feel like it is a waste of time, and i'd rather be at home revising on my own because i'd know i'd be so much more productive. the only thing i really enjoy is the classroom discussion. at times i feel like at home i can simply just teach myself content better too. if you're feeling a little demotivated, don't set yourself big tasks to do. just do little things here and there until you get back into the swing of things, and you should be back in your element soon. :smile:
When I was at school, I felt like some teachers made lessons feel like a waste of time. :
Original post by JosephineKasai
Hi,

Any advice?

I dropped up of institutional education at 13 years of age. I'm now 61 and have no regrets. I have never fitted into "the system" and so I am separate from the brain washed and manipulated herd.

Quick Reply

Latest