The Student Room Group

AFP advice - poster

Hi all

I'm a current med student hoping to apply for an AFP. I have a year until I apply and was wondering what sort of things do they look at ? I know there's 10 points for posters and publications and I was wondering with posters how do they confirm you've done it/been? I've presented my poster at 2-3 conferences but have heard I only get max 1 point for the same poster. Do i need a letter to prove I attended/ can show registration/abstract acceptance ? I have been taking photos/ keeping the abstract booklets as I go as evidence but wasn't sure if this is enough :/
Certificate of presentation is enough. And yes I believe for any single piece of research you get points for the most valuable presentation only (international>national>regional). So 5 presentations for 1 piece of research =/= 5 credits.
They may officially state this but I got points for both poster and oral presentations for the same project.
Evidence wise for posters they wanted to see the poster- pictures, pdfs, photo of you beside the poster work. Abstract booklet only confirms it was accepted doesn't show you presented it. I also emailed some evidence in after the day because they asked me to.
As for the "10 points" that varies from deanery to deanery.
Hi, I am also applying for AFP next round, and was wondering if you're sure it is necessary to have pictures of you beside the poster as I have presented around 4/5 but have never done this. I have the actual posters and the abstract booklet evidence- is this not sufficient?
Also, I just looked at the LASE prospectus and it states: "The presentation must have been accepted or taken place before the close of the application period (13 October 2017)" implying that acceptance to a conference is sufficient.

Original post by medexist11
Also, I just looked at the LASE prospectus and it states: "The presentation must have been accepted or taken place before the close of the application period (13 October 2017)" implying that acceptance to a conference is sufficient.

You can have a project accepted but not turn up to present, that's why they want to see a copy of the poster. Whether this copy is a PDF, a picture of it or a picture of you next to it. Acceptance email is not sufficient.
All depends on where you apply.

For London&South East I didn't have to provide any evidence. For South West I provided the acceptance e-mail only.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
You can have a project accepted but not turn up to present, that's why they want to see a copy of the poster. Whether this copy is a PDF, a picture of it or a picture of you next to it. Acceptance email is not sufficient.

In theory I could not attend And could just make the poster so a lot of it is based on trust ?

I have an international conference but cannot get funding so not sure if I will be able to go. the dr I did it with is attending. THis would not count since if I do not attend?

It's a shame there isn't a a page with all the different deanary requirements to make it easier to find this info.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello everyone,

Do you guys have general advice/tips on how to get involved with research from early clinical years? Good luck!

Thanks!
Original post by document35
Hello everyone,

Do you guys have general advice/tips on how to get involved with research from early clinical years? Good luck!

Thanks!

- Join the medical research society at your medical school
- do a summer research studentship asap (summer of 1/2nd year are good times)
-see if a department or your med school offers research taster days.
- Lecturers often subtly mention their own work in their lectures - if you find it interesting - go talk to them! they might offer you a studentship or ad-hoc project work.
- if it isn't lab-based, approach the research team and see if you can do a 'short-term project' or SSC with them during the year around your studies.

Best ways to get solid research experience are summer studentships (hundreds across the UK+world - google them- and you get paid!)and intercalation

Publication is mostly being in the right place at the right time - some people do a lot of work and don't get published whilst others seem to get a publication out of a week-long SSC, basically, keep looking for opportunities and be proactive. Between writing the manuscript, peer review cycles and copy editing, publishing a paper can take up to a year or more so seek out research experience as early as you can.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by themedicalgeek
- Join the medical research society at your medical school
- do a summer research studentship asap (summer of 1/2nd year are good times)
-see if a department or your med school offers research taster days.
- Lecturers often subtly mention their own work in their lectures - if you find it interesting - go talk to them! they might offer you a studentship or ad-hoc project work.
- if it isn't lab-based, approach the research team and see if you can do a 'short-term project' or SSC with them during the year around your studies.

Best ways to get solid research experience are summer studentships (hundreds across the UK+world - google them- and you get paid!)and intercalation

Publication is mostly being in the right place at the right time - some people do a lot of work and don't get published whilst others seem to get a publication out of a week-long SSC, basically, keep looking for opportunities and be proactive. Between writing the manuscript, peer review cycles and copy editing, publishing a paper can take up to a year or more so seek out research experience as early as you can.

This is great, thanks themedicalgeek. I am trying to get into a research project for my SSC and I also have an idea for another project in my mind; I just need to find a supervisor for it now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending