The Student Room Group

I want to convert to Judaism

I have no official faith although I guess my upbringing is somewhere between Christian and non-religious. Until recently I would have considered myself an atheist but I started reading a lot of Jewish religious text and analysis (just due to curiosity) and I absolutely love it, I really believe in a lot of it. Not all aspects obviously and I definitely wouldn’t be a total orthodox or anything but I really love a lot of the ideas in liberal Judaism.

There’s a few issues, though;
as a boring Caucasian female I have very little understanding of Jewish culture and tradition, at least in practice
I’m gay
I can’t really ask my parents to help me look into it because I think they’d freak out a bit and I don’t want to upset them.

Any help?

Sorry for such a random post.

I know this is the wrong forum but there’s a few people I know IRL that follow me on TSR and I don’t want them to know about this.

If anyone could move the thread to “Faith and Spirituality” without me losing anon that’d be much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

As a Christian with a little bit of common sense, i'd suggest you visit your local synagogue. Ask the Rabbi if he's got 5-10 minutes to ask some questions, then go wild with your questions. Leave and repeat until you've made up your mind. See, simples
In RE I learnt that converting to Judaisim takes atleast 3 years, and you have to present yourself to a panel of judges
Reply 3
Original post by matwillis
As a Christian with a little bit of common sense, i'd suggest you visit your local synagogue. Ask the Rabbi if he's got 5-10 minutes to ask some questions, then go wild with your questions. Leave and repeat until you've made up your mind. See, simples

What would I need to do to visit the synagogue? I don’t want to accidentally offend anyone or not be able to tell who the rabbi is! I also don’t know how to find out whether any particular synagogue is more orthodox or liberal - how do you find this out with churches?
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
First time reading or hearing that someone wants or has converted to Judaism.
Original post by Anonymous
What would I need to do to visit the synagogue? I don’t want to accidentally offend anyone or not be able to tell who the rabbi is! I also don’t know how to find out whether any particular synagogue is more orthodox or liberal - how do you find this out with churches?

Now, i don't know your background but considering you've found stdentroom i have a feeling you know what Google is. Well, what i would do is just google "Local Orthodox/Liberal (pick preference) Synagogue" suggestions will come up, explore their websites (opening times, events etc), then importantly google afterwards what a Rabbi looks like go up to the guy that looks like that.
I'm not sure if there are certain customs in greeting the rabbi, i wouldn't know since like i said i'm a Christian. Then, obviously just go in and grab a seat and listen.
Afterall, aside from all of the hats and hutzpah a religion is always centred around the church (or alternative name for a religious building). And most of have fun, but not too much fun since it's a holy building.

If you felt that this was helpful then feel free to Rep Up and start your new religious journey well.
I have no official faith although I guess my upbringing is somewhere between Christian and non-religious. Until recently I would have considered myself an atheist but I started reading a lot of Jewish religious text and analysis (just due to curiosity) and I absolutely love it, I really believe in a lot of it. Not all aspects obviously and I definitely wouldn’t be a total orthodox or anything but I really love a lot of the ideas in liberal Judaism.

as a boring Caucasian female I have very little understanding of Jewish culture and tradition, at least in practice
I’m gay
I can’t really ask my parents to help me look into it because I think they’d freak out a bit and I don’t want to upset them.

Any help?

I know this is the wrong forum but there’s a few people I know IRL that follow me on TSR and I don’t want them to know about this.

If anyone could move the thread to “Faith and Spirituality” without me losing anon that’d be much appreciated.

Many young people chose a religion to upset their parents.
Reply 8
Its worth baring in mind Judaism takes the dimmest of dim views on gays.
Reply 9

I’m gay

Any help?

Say goodbye to your foreskin mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps get circumcised first mate? Make it look like you're keen.

I’m gay

Any help?

I myself know very little about it, but I recall a conversation with my Dad a while ago where he explained that Judaism help great appeal for him as a religion, but that being a Jew is more hereditary than choice. That is what I understood by what he said anyway. I wish you luck! I myself am undecided in terms of religion. Also *friendly wave* from another gay girl!! :smile: :awesome::banana:
Original post by FloralLuxe
First time reading or hearing that someone wants or has converted to Judaism.

Ditto ngl
You're better off converting to the Church of Cupcakes, all we do is worship our cupcake by eating cupcake 5 times a day and attend Cupcake Church every sunday.

Converting to Judaism takes 3 years and a lot of hard work!

To be a member of the Church of Cupcakes all you need to do is prostrate on both knees and eat a cupcake praising the Cupcake god.:closedeyes:
Original post by SMEGGGY

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a female.
Original post by worship Cupcake
You're better off converting to the Church of Cupcakes, all we do is worship our cupcake by eating cupcake 5 times a day and attend Cupcake Church every sunday.

Converting to Judaism takes 3 years and a lot of hard work!

To be a member of the Church of Cupcakes all you need to do is prostrate on both knees and eat a cupcake praising the Cupcake god.:closedeyes:

I’ve just converted to your religion. Do I get free cupcakes for life now? :coma:
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I’ve just converted to your religion. Do I get free cupcakes for life now? :coma:

Welcome my brother.:five: You're now a Cupcaker!

We attend Cupcake Church every Sunday and have a free buffet of cupcakes on the round table.

But of course like any other religion you must sacrifice, so you must suppress your urge of muffins or any other sugary pastries and only prostrate yourself to the one true Cupcake, for this will please and show you're a true servant of the Cupcake.:closedeyes:

And in return he will shower you in sprinkles and a life time supply of cupcakes!

Here is some more information on our Church, you will also find the ten commandments: http://churchofcupcakes.com/
I thought you could only be Jewish if your mother was Jewish herself? :s-smilie:
Original post by SMEGGGY

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Drummond
Perhaps get circumcised first mate? Make it look like you're keen.

I’m good. I don’t have a penis.

I’m gay

Any help?

I think you should look into Islam

Quick Reply

Latest