The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get A* expected grade?

I thought the best (expected) grade that year 12 student can get is A, and It turns to A* after AS test.
But one of my friends told me there must be at least 2 expected A* to go oxbridge.
Is it possible to get A* expected grade?
The highest grade for AS is indeed A and predicted grades are what your school thinks you'll achieve at the end of A2. If you get an A I'm pretty sure you'll get an A* prediction since most teachers will do one grade above what you actually got. Sometimes you might even get one if you get a super high B (like 2-3 UMS away from an A)
Your friend is referring to predicted grades. The best grade you can get at AS is an A. But after AS you get given your predicted grades which can include A*’s, to predict your final A Level exams. While most Oxbridge students will be predicted all A*’s this is not a requirement at all as the entry requirements range from AAA to A*A*A*. So check out the course you want to study and the entry requirements for it and make sure your predicted match or exceed them.
In theory, you could get an A* prediction in Year 12, but that would only be if you were to take a full A-Level that year (i.e. Maths).

Other than that, you only get A* predictions in Year 13, as your predictions are nearly always based on your achieved AS grades in Year 12.
It really wouldn't matter what predicted grades you had in Year 12 anyway since the application process for universities starts in Year 13, so it'd be your Year 13 predicted grades that matter.

Also, whilst it will help you, your predicted grades do not need to meet the entry requirements of Oxbridge to be a successful applicant.
Oxbridge look at applications holistically so they will take everything into account and universities are more than aware that students are able to exceed their target grades, so whilst target grades do give a good indication of a student's capability, they're not the be-all and end-all. Many other factors will contribute to a successful Oxbridge applicant than solely their achieved/predicted grades.
You can ask your teacher to raise your predicted grades, it worked for me, I went from ABC to A*BB

Quick Reply

Latest