The Student Room Group

Resitting Maths options

I’m taking the CIE Exams for May June 2018. During the May June 2017 session, I have sat, in one sitting, for:

Pure Mathematics 1
Pure Mathematics 3
Statistics 1
Mechanics 1

I obtained a full grade for Pure Mathematics A Level of 86% (A). I plan to pursue Chem Eng and have viewed that most university need an A* for Mathematics as their requirement. For references, my full subjects are Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and Further Mathematics.

My question is, can I choose 2 of the 4 components to resit on May June 2018 instead of all 4? For example, I’ll resit for PM3 and S1 only.

Thank you in advance!
Original post by Lord Lenz
I’m taking the CIE Exams for May June 2018. During the May June 2017 session, I have sat, in one sitting, for:

Pure Mathematics 1
Pure Mathematics 3
Statistics 1
Mechanics 1

I obtained a full grade for Pure Mathematics A Level of 86% (A). I plan to pursue Chem Eng and have viewed that most university need an A* for Mathematics as their requirement. For references, my full subjects are Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and Further Mathematics.

My question is, can I choose 2 of the 4 components to resit on May June 2018 instead of all 4? For example, I’ll resit for PM3 and S1 only.

Thank you in advance!

I don't know much about CIE, but for most boards, you can just resit the units you want to resit, so choose those with the lowest UMS scores.

However (at least for MEI this is the case), getting an A* in Mathematics just requires you to get 90% in your second year units. I'd double-check this with your teacher though. If that is the case, your 86% won't hold you back from getting an A* so don't bother retaking.
Reply 2
Original post by TheMindGarage
I don't know much about CIE, but for most boards, you can just resit the units you want to resit, so choose those with the lowest UMS scores.

However (at least for MEI this is the case), getting an A* in Mathematics just requires you to get 90% in your second year units. I'd double-check this with your teacher though. If that is the case, your 86% won't hold you back from getting an A* so don't bother retaking.

Out of all 4, my lowest scores are from Pure Maths 3 (61/75) and Statistics 1 (43/50). Yes it’s true for the 90% part. Pardon me, I do not understand. What do you mean by I shouldn’t bother retaking? I plan to resit P3 and S1 because I would like to bump up my grade from an A to an A*.
Original post by Lord Lenz
Out of all 4, my lowest scores are from Pure Maths 3 (61/75) and Statistics 1 (43/50). Yes it’s true for the 90% part. Pardon me, I do not understand. What do you mean by I shouldn’t bother retaking? I plan to resit P3 and S1 because I would like to bump up my grade from an A to an A*.

Is that 90% only across certain modules or 90% overall? If it's 90 overall, you should retake P3 and S1. If it's only certain modules you need to average 90% in (for example, for MEI it's only the second-year Core modules), only retake if it will make it easier to get that 90%.
Reply 4
I understand. It’s 90% overall.
Reply 5
Original post by TheMindGarage
Is that 90% only across certain modules or 90% overall? If it's 90 overall, you should retake P3 and S1. If it's only certain modules you need to average 90% in (for example, for MEI it's only the second-year Core modules), only retake if it will make it easier to get that 90%.

I’ve just realized that I didn’t quote your reply. Well, it’s 90% overall. Yes that’s exactly what I’m planning to do!

Quick Reply

Latest