Dume
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, i will start a levels next year and my options are : Economics, law and sociology. I want to apply for a law degree at uni and my question is:
Can I get into uni with my a levels ? I don’t see any subject requirements on uni sites but a teacher told me that they might require something else for law like chemistry and maths .
Thank you !
moonswooning
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't think you need to, I was told they prefer essay based subjects so idk why your teacher said chemistry or maths??
Dume
Rep:
?
(Original post by moonswooning)
I don't think you need to, I was told they prefer essay based subjects so idk why your teacher said chemistry or maths??
Because these subjects are hard and challenging. I think
Dume
Rep:
?
But are my a levels good then ?
moonswooning
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dume)
But are my a levels good then ?
I think as long as you get good grades in the it'll be fine yes
Appleorpear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What are your grades atm?
Dume
Rep:
?
(Original post by Appleorpear)
What are your grades atm?
Well it s a bit different I am a “special case” I came in the uk in year 12 but my Exams (I had 9/10 at most of them) from my country have not been recognised as gcse here in the uk so I haven’t been accepted to a levels. Because of this situation I m now doing a maths gcse and an English exam functional skills 2. A level team accepted to take me for next year course.
School has nt ever been hard for me I always got great grades
Appleorpear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dume)
Well it s a bit different I am a “special case” I came in the uk in year 12 but my Exams (I had 9/10 at most of them) from my country have not been recognised as gcse here in the uk so I haven’t been accepted to a levels. Because of this situation I m now doing a maths gcse and an English exam functional skills 2. A level team accepted to take me for next year course.
School has nt ever been hard for me I always got great grades
Maybe would reccomend switching one of your subjects to a harder one if you want to go to a top university for Law. Your subjects are seen as "soft subjects", meaning they are easier than a subject like Chemistry or Maths. Especially law.
Dume
Rep:
?
(Original post by Appleorpear)
Maybe would reccomend switching one of your subjects to a harder one if you want to go to a top university for Law. Your subjects are seen as "soft subjects", meaning they are easier than a subject like Chemistry or Maths. Especially law.
Which subjects are considered “harder” and which are the top universities ?
RuthieG101
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
maths and the sciences are seen as the hardest four
Appleorpear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dume)
Which subjects are considered “harder” and which are the top universities ?
Maths, sciences.

When looking at the top ones you'll likely be told russel group unis (and bath) and look at law specifically as a subject (different unis are good for different subjects so don't look at the general pnes) on a website like topukunis. But when you inevitably do, bear in mind some unis will be ranked lower due to low student satisfaction but that isn't really a factor for the prestige of it, so if you're looking at the prestige of a course then I'd think about how important it is. There's a reason London unis have terrible satisfaction ratings and if you hate uni you'll do worse so it can be worth bearing in mind.

But generally accepted is Cambrdige/Oxford/LSE are the very top ones (LSE is fractionally behind Oxbridge but still good one of the best, which is why I put it there).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Course Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 2 Feb '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 5 February 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Feb '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (62)
35.63%
I really love the subject (45)
25.86%
I don't know what else to do (22)
12.64%
I can't get a job (14)
8.05%
My parents want me to (4)
2.3%