The Student Room Group

Don't know if he's still into his ex or not. Should I be worried?

Let me preface this by saying I hate social media.

I just got back into the dating world after taking some time to work on myself after some crappy dating experiences. I’m pretty rusty after all this time.

A good friend of mine set me up with her SO’s buddy. We met about 1.5 months ago. We seem to be hitting it off. The issue is, upon finding out, my friend told me he likes about every other picture his ex has posted. They broke up in early October. I do know she broke up with him and shortly tried to reconcile, he said no, but then later told her he was struggling with the breakup and she said she was too. Also, they had also discussed marriage.

I’m trying to tell myself it’s just him liking the content. He’ll like his other ex’s pictures too, but she’s from years ago. He’ll even like pictures of old flings that didn’t work out, so maybe he’s just weird?

It wasn’t until recently that my friend’s SO really spilled the beans about their breakup- none of which my friend knew prior to setting me up. So apparently after he turned her away he was blowing up her phone saying stuff like the breakup really messed with him, how he wanted to stay but couldn’t. Then a little later the I’m having a hard time message followed. Also, my friend is under the impression that he tried to make her jealous (I don’t agree). He snapped a video of his food and then showed the girl he was on a date then posted it on social media. This was a few weeks after telling her that he was struggling. Not quite sure showing off your date on social media means you're trying to make someone jealous though.

Anyway, she said she was hurt but loved him enough to be happy for him to be moving on. He replied with a question mark, and she said your video that you posted. He told her how he loved her very much but they just argued a lot. Then sent her another message saying it’s not wise to give out information about what may or may not be going on his dating life. She said she wasn’t asking but wished him all the best. He then liked her picture a few days later and I was told he was looking at her social media. This happened in November. He’s still liking her stuff now.

Either way should I be worried? I’m fairly interested, but it’s more so I just don’t want to get burned again. I just don’t want to potentially invest in something down the line if there may be a red flag.
Original post by leabean

I just got back into the dating world after taking some time to work on myself after some crappy dating experiences. I’m pretty rusty after all this time.

A good friend of mine set me up with her SO’s buddy. We met about 1.5 months ago. We seem to be hitting it off. The issue is, upon finding out, my friend told me he likes about every other picture his ex has posted. They broke up in early October. I do know she broke up with him and shortly tried to reconcile, he said no, but then later told her he was struggling with the breakup and she said she was too. Also, they had also discussed marriage.

I’m trying to tell myself it’s just him liking the content. He’ll like his other ex’s pictures too, but she’s from years ago. He’ll even like pictures of old flings that didn’t work out, so maybe he’s just weird?

It wasn’t until recently that my friend’s SO really spilled the beans about their breakup- none of which my friend knew prior to setting me up. So apparently after he turned her away he was blowing up her phone saying stuff like the breakup really messed with him, how he wanted to stay but couldn’t. Then a little later the I’m having a hard time message followed. Also, my friend is under the impression that he tried to make her jealous (I don’t agree). He snapped a video of his food and then showed the girl he was on a date then posted it on social media. This was a few weeks after telling her that he was struggling. Not quite sure showing off your date on social media means you're trying to make someone jealous though.

Anyway, she said she was hurt but loved him enough to be happy for him to be moving on. He replied with a question mark, and she said your video that you posted. He told her how he loved her very much but they just argued a lot. Then sent her another message saying it’s not wise to give out information about what may or may not be going on his dating life. She said she wasn’t asking but wished him all the best. He then liked her picture a few days later and I was told he was looking at her social media. This happened in November. He’s still liking her stuff now.

Either way should I be worried? I’m fairly interested, but it’s more so I just don’t want to get burned again. I just don’t want to potentially invest in something down the line if there may be a red flag.

This has all the hallmarks that he is still into his ex
Him being still into his ex doesn't necessarily mean your relationship is doomed, as it also seems the two of them have a really unstable and unhealthy connection and they probably won't get back together. Trust your gut- if he seems into you and treats you well, there's no need to break it off immediately, but keep your wits about you and look out for signs that things aren't going where you want them to.
Original post by leabean

Men often think about the ex.
Reply 4
If youre not sure about it then why risk it? There's plenty more fish in the sea, fish that dont dwell so much on their ex's or try and make them jealous with petty behaviour
Original post by Huw M Thomas
Men often think about the ex.

Seconded. Breakups seem to hit us harder than women sometimes.
Don’t be a backup option, know your worth and find someone that knows it too.
Original post by CastCuraga
Seconded. Breakups seem to hit us harder than women sometimes.

Men are in need of emotional fidelity as well as physical. Women have wandered so far from the path that would give them comfort in life they suffer consequences that become unbearable. Then they blame the man or the children or both and go off looking for another set of circumstances...into more misery.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Rock Fan
This has all the hallmarks that he is still into his ex

Ehhh I don't know.

I was at his house and he was getting his mail. He opened it and he looked a little funny so I asked him what was up. He said his ex sent him a sympathy card.

We go inside and sit down on the couch. I see him text her thanks for the card. I think if he was still interested he would've said more than that to her.

Quick Reply

Latest