Royal Holloway or Exeter for Computer Science?

Watch
Sint
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm finding it difficult to choose which of these universities to put as my firm choice. I think the RHUL course looks more interesting and I like the location better, but Exeter is a more respected university and the campus is nicer.

However, I would have to work very hard to achieve my AAA offer from Exeter and I'm not sure if it'll be worth stressing myself out permanently until July, whereas RHUL will change my offer to unconditional if I make them my firm choice. (I'd still work hard for my A levels though, and would expect to get A*BB-ABB)

So really I'm just wondering how important it is for a Computer Science graduate to have gone to a prestigious university?
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sint)
So really I'm just wondering how important it is for a Computer Science graduate to have gone to a prestigious university?
It's not important for most jobs. I certainly didn't go to a prestigious university and that didn't stop me from getting a job at a top company, nor did any of my friends who did Computer Science at my university.

What matters most is the course content, since that will play a factor in making you decide what path to take as a career. Modules will vary by university so you should compare which ones align to your interests and pick accordingly.
S.Jama
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello there, I hope you are well. For your
situation, I would say RHUL simply to put
the stress away for the rest of this academic year but the choice is yours. Take Care.
Triumph_Turtle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by UWS)
It's not important for most jobs. I certainly didn't go to a prestigious university and that didn't stop me from getting a job at a top company, nor did any of my friends who did Computer Science at my university.

What matters most is the course content, since that will play a factor in making you decide what path to take as a career. Modules will vary by university so you should compare which ones align to your interests and pick accordingly.
Where did you go, if you don't mind me asking?
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Triumph_Turtle)
Where did you go, if you don't mind me asking?
City University.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.62%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (351)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed