Materials: Force - Extension Graph Query

Watch this thread
S.H.Rahman
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In a Force - Extension graph we usually have a point labelled ' The limit of proportionality' where beyond this point, Hooke's Law is no longer obeyed. Slightly after this, we have another label called 'Elastic Limit'.

My question is:

Why don't we get plastic deformation during the stage between these 2 and is the gradient of this region the same as when Hooke's law was being obeyed? I think my textbook just doesn't have a clear enough diagram as from what I know it makes sense for it to start curving once the limit of proportionality has been reached.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
ambershell27
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
The point is that the limit of proportionality and elastic limit are different. An object can pass the limit of proportionality (not a straight line graph) and still return to its original state.
S.H.Rahman
Rep:
(Original post by ambershell27)
The point is that the limit of proportionality and elastic limit are different. An object can pass the limit of proportionality (not a straight line graph) and still return to its original state.
Why is that?
ambershell27
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It just depends on the material. For example, an elastic band has no linear regions at all, but has elastic behaviour. Brittle objects may follow Hooke's law up until breaking point.
S.H.Rahman
Rep:
(Original post by ambershell27)
It just depends on the material. For example, an elastic band has no linear regions at all, but has elastic behaviour. Brittle objects may follow Hooke's law up until breaking point.
Alrighty I'll just take your word for it.

P.S. I don't think brittle materials don't follow Hooke's Law lel
ambershell27
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Sometimes they do. Because they withstand such a small strain, they have a linear relationship until that point. Look up glass, for example.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed