The Student Room Group

UCAS Application and Depression

I don't know if I can disclose my depression on the disability/special needs section, because I haven't talked to anyone about my problem or visited a GP, can I still put it in my application?
Original post by SmilteEid
I don't know if I can disclose my depression on the disability/special needs section, because I haven't talked to anyone about my problem or visited a GP, can I still put it in my application?

I don't think you have to!
Original post by SmilteEid

If you haven't talked to your GP, do you have an official diagnosis? Even if you don't, I would recommend putting on your application, especially if you foresee it causing problems for your studies later (such as needing extensions etc.).
Reply 4
Original post by PhoenixFortune
If you haven't talked to your GP, do you have an official diagnosis? Even if you don't, I would recommend putting on your application, especially if you foresee it causing problems for your studies later (such as needing extensions etc.).

I don't currently have a official diagnosis, but I have had one in the past. I was clinically depressed around 2 years ago, but I think i'm relapsing or I have just had high functioning depression all this time. Its causing problems now because my grades are slipping.
If it is impacting your grades, it is wise to put it on your application, or ask for it to be put in your reference. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ohheyimharriet
If it is impacting your grades, it is wise to put it on your application, or ask for it to be put in your reference. :smile:

ok thanks :smile: I'm just worried I will have to provide some sort of proof, or that I'm over exaggerating or something, I don't know how to express the problem or admit to it, so it's daunting to do it for the first time on a application.
Reply 7
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
I don't think you have to!

Do you mean I don't have to go the GP and get an official diagnosis to put depression as a mental disability on the application?

Quick Reply

Latest