The Student Room Group

I don't want to fail my A-Levels :)))

HELLO EVERYBODY
(wow, changing the colour of each letter is exhausting)

Well, I've always been pretty sceptical of the 'Grow your Grades' threads on here but, looking at the rate I'm going, I don't think I have a lot to lose by trying to maintain one. Here goes! :tongue:

So, I'm currently in Year 13 studying Maths, Physics and English Literature, and I have applied to study Law at university (I know they aren't the typical Law applicant subject choices but until this summer, I thought I wanted to study Physics. How wrong I was. :redface:)

I've always been a disorganised mess throughout my education, and successfully winged my way through everything. I know that this isn't acceptable at A-Level and I definitely realised that in Year 12 (but I never learn, and I'm still a mess :facepalm:). Last year was particularly stressful for me (partially due to external factors), and I want to ensure that the upcoming year isn't as difficult.

Grades/Expected Grades:

GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As
AS: A in Maths, C in FM (You can see why I dropped it:bricks:)
Predicted: A* in English Lit, A* in Maths and A in Physics

UCAS:

UCL - conditional offer (A*AA)
Durham - conditional offer (A*AA)
Warwick - conditional offer (AAA)
Royal Holloway - conditional offer (AAB) - can be made unconditional if I make them my firm
Oxford - completed interviews, offers/rejections released on the 10th of Jan (I'm trying to be realistic and not have my hopes up tbh, I'm happy with the fact that I acc got to the interview stage)

Update: Oxford rejection received 10th Jan

Knowing me, I'll forget all about this thread and my A-Levels will continue to be shambles but I'll try to post as often as I can. :h:

(I've shamelessly tagged some people who may or may not be interested in my progress if I make any lol)
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Ah well done on your offers so far and on completing your Oxford interview! What course did you apply for may I ask? :yep:

I’ll be following this thread! :yay:
Original post by EmilySarah00
Ah well done on your offers so far and on completing your Oxford interview! What course did you apply for may I ask? :yep:

I’ll be following this thread! :yay:

Thank you! I've applied to study Law. :h:
:dance:WOOOOO!:dance:
Brilliant!
You can do this!!!
Good luck!
Reply 5
GOOD LUCK you got this!!!!!
as with most things in life you get what you put in. You need to put the effort and you'll get results.
don't leave revision for the week before the exam. get help from teachers, peers if you don't understand something.
maths needs practice, you can't revise it as such.
Looks brilliant mate. I'm yet to properly send mine off but Law's a good shout.
Reply 8
This is great! Thanks for the tag :h: Another blog I get to follow :u:

Congratulations on the Oxford interviews! Wish you the best of luck with your offers:hugs:

P.S. And don't worry my time in 6th form too was disorganised, stressed, undecisive and at the end of the day it kinda let me discover myself and made me who I am today :biggrin:
Lets just say my mental health during 6th form was the worst lol
omg yas :rave: subbing lovely :loveduck: wishing you all the luck in the world, know you can do it :yep:
Original post by CorpusLuteum
:dance:WOOOOO!:dance:
Brilliant!
You can do this!!!

Original post by _gcx
Good luck!

Original post by MonicaD
Congrats with all your offers so far! Good luck with everything :smile:

Original post by redonks
GOOD LUCK you got this!!!!!

Original post by RuthieG101
as with most things in life you get what you put in. You need to put the effort and you'll get results.
don't leave revision for the week before the exam. get help from teachers, peers if you don't understand something.
maths needs practice, you can't revise it as such.

Original post by Kraggor
This is great! Thanks for the tag :h: Another blog I get to follow :u:

Congratulations on the Oxford interviews! Wish you the best of luck with your offers:hugs:

P.S. And don't worry my time in 6th form too was disorganised, stressed, undecisive and at the end of the day it kinda let me discover myself and made me who I am today :biggrin:
Lets just say my mental health during 6th form was the worst lol

Original post by CoolCavy
omg yas :rave: subbing lovely :loveduck: wishing you all the luck in the world, know you can do it :yep:

Thank you guys! :grouphugs:

Original post by Conceited
Looks brilliant mate. I'm yet to properly send mine off but Law's a good shout.

What are you applying for? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
What are you applying for? :smile:

Law with Politics preferebly (those are two of my choices) or failing that Law itself.
good luck!
Thanks for tagging me honey! :jumphug:

Good luck, and I'll be watching your progress :sexface:
03/01/2018 - A lot has happened since I made this thread (I almost forgot I made this :facepalm:). Firstly, I conditional offer from Warwick (AAA) which I'm pleased with. This means the only university I have left to hear from is Oxford, and, to say I'm nervous about this would be an understatement. I was pleasantly surprised to have even reached the interview stage and am happy with the offers I have but I've also grown more and more invested in the idea of going there, especially the college that I was at (Corpus Christi), after having done my interviews.

Also, I have MOCK EXAMS (:cry:) in the week starting 29/01/18. Unfortunately, I was pretty busy, emotional and, hence, demotivated during the winter holidays so I just feel like even more of a mess than before. I really want to make use of these mocks and perform as well as I can to prove to myself and my teachers that I actually am capable of achieving what I've been predicted (A*A*A) but I already feel like I'm on the path to failure and I don't know how to get off of it. My procrastination has just been getting worse and worse recently and it's come to a point where I'd have to set aside an entire day to write 100 words. :redface: I just feel so distracted and tired constantly, and I can't force myself to just sit there and do what I should be doing. Does anybody have any tips to overcome this?

(I feel like I'm not really using my 'Grow your Grades' thread as I should be but I'm using it for myself, to help clear my head in things related to my education and A-Levels rather than to compete anyway. :redface:)
03/01/2018 - A lot has happened since I made this thread (I almost forgot I made this :facepalm:). Firstly, I conditional offer from Warwick (AAA) which I'm pleased with. This means the only university I have left to hear from is Oxford, and, to say I'm nervous about this would be an understatement. I was pleasantly surprised to have even reached the interview stage and am happy with the offers I have but I've also grown more and more invested in the idea of going there, especially the college that I was at (Corpus Christi), after having done my interviews.

Also, I have MOCK EXAMS (:cry:) in the week starting 29/01/18. Unfortunately, I was pretty busy, emotional and, hence, demotivated during the winter holidays so I just feel like even more of a mess than before. I really want to make use of these mocks and perform as well as I can to prove to myself and my teachers that I actually am capable of achieving what I've been predicted (A*A*A) but I already feel like I'm on the path to failure and I don't know how to get off of it. My procrastination has just been getting worse and worse recently and it's come to a point where I'd have to set aside an entire day to write 100 words. :redface: I just feel so distracted and tired constantly, and I can't force myself to just sit there and do what I should be doing. Does anybody have any tips to overcome this?

(I feel like I'm not really using my 'Grow your Grades' thread as I should be but I'm using it for myself, to help clear my head in things related to my education and A-Levels rather than to compete anyway. :redface:)

You may think this is bad advice, but don't try and prove to yourself that you're capable of getting A*A*A with your upcoming mocks. You'll work too hard for mocks and you'll burn out for the real exams. You will also have less to work on, getting near perfect scores in your mocks allows little room for improvement. Revise, work hard and practice for your mocks - but do not treat them as your real exams. Find out your weak areas, make silly mistakes etc. because you need something to learn from.

I was in a similar situation to you last year and ended up immensely depressed. It's safe to say that had an enormous impact on me personally and my grades. I did well in my mocks but not as well in the real things. Predicted A*A*A, needed A*AA but got A*AB. Year 13 is probably the most mentally-demanding, stressful and high pressured year of your academic life. There is so much, especially now, riding on these exams and you have so much else going on in your life it's hard to put things in focus. My best advice for getting through the year is work when you should be working, rest when you shouldn't be. Therefore holidays are holidays, weekends are weekends. Don't put anything on hold in your life until you actually have exams, if you do a sport or some other hobby it's essential you continue that until the week before your exams. And even during your exams make sure you still eat well, exercise and get enough sleep.
Original post by jamestg
You may think this is bad advice, but don't try and prove to yourself that you're capable of getting A*A*A with your upcoming mocks. You'll work too hard for mocks and you'll burn out for the real exams. You will also have less to work on, getting near perfect scores in your mocks allows little room for improvement. Revise, work hard and practice for your mocks - but do not treat them as your real exams. Find out your weak areas, make silly mistakes etc. because you need something to learn from.

I was in a similar situation to you last year and ended up immensely depressed. It's safe to say that had an enormous impact on me personally and my grades. I did well in my mocks but not as well in the real things. Predicted A*A*A, needed A*AA but got A*AB. Year 13 is probably the most mentally-demanding, stressful and high pressured year of your academic life. There is so much, especially now, riding on these exams and you have so much else going on in your life it's hard to put things in focus. My best advice for getting through the year is work when you should be working, rest when you shouldn't be. Therefore holidays are holidays, weekends are weekends. Don't put anything on hold in your life until you actually have exams, if you do a sport or some other hobby it's essential you continue that until the week before your exams. And even during your exams make sure you still eat well, exercise and get enough sleep.

Thank you, and I agree with you completely. I understand the importance of resting and take care of myself but the issue is the fact that I genuinely am nowhere near what I have been predicted at the moment (Bs and Cs at the moment). I am massively disorganised and I do next to nothing (I literally don't even complete the assignments and essays that are set as homework) and I know that I have to start working on this. I don't know if it's purely 'cause I'm lazy or because I'm emotionally exhausted but, regardless, I know I need to overcome this and get on top of my stuff. I don't expect myself to get A*s and As in my mocks but I'd be very happy to get As and Bs. :redface:
Thank you, and I agree with you completely. I understand the importance of resting and take care of myself but the issue is the fact that I genuinely am nowhere near what I have been predicted at the moment (Bs and Cs at the moment). I am massively disorganised and I do next to nothing (I literally don't even complete the assignments and essays that are set as homework) and I know that I have to start working on this. I don't know if it's purely 'cause I'm lazy or because I'm emotionally exhausted but, regardless, I know I need to overcome this and get on top of my stuff. I don't expect myself to get A*s and As in my mocks but I'd be very happy to get As and Bs. :redface:

Don't panic, but have urgency. I didn't get my first choice uni for 2017 and so I've decided to resit two subjects in June. I'm super nervous but I feel I'm better preparing myself. I'm pretty lazy and I struggle keeping positive sometimes, especially when my subjects are both essay based. Aaaaaah, I feel I just need to find a good way to revise and find a way to really stay committed, but I'm finding it hard. My first choice is the motivation and sometimes it's hard to rely on that alone. I was in your position where I was hitting my targets or striking a grade just below it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SubZero~
Don't panic, but have urgency. I didn't get my first choice uni for 2017 and so I've decided to resit two subjects in June. I'm super nervous but I feel I'm better preparing myself. I'm pretty lazy and I struggle keeping positive sometimes, especially when my subjects are both essay based. Aaaaaah, I feel I just need to find a good way to revise and find a way to really stay committed, but I'm finding it hard. My first choice is the motivation and sometimes it's hard to rely on that alone. I was in your position where I was hitting my targets or striking a grade just below it.

Good luck! Where are you applying and what are you applying for?
11/01/2018 - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4424310&page=2

Feeling down after the rejection yesterday and the revision for my mocks doesn't really seem to be going anywhere.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending