The Student Room Group

Any one able to give me advice child nursing

After some advice. I have applied to Plymouth and Swansea for child nursing, so far Plymouth not offered me interview and said I am on the on hold list but last week got an email from Swansea and got an interview.
My question is I need to plan if I am successful do I uproot my family for three years or some how live away part time. Has anyone moved their family when at a uni?

Ion no by moving I would be getting a much wider range of experiences than I would with the Hosptial here.
Original post by Anita183
After some advice. I have applied to Plymouth and Swansea for child nursing, so far Plymouth not offered me interview and said I am on the on hold list but last week got an email from Swansea and got an interview.
My question is I need to plan if I am successful do I uproot my family for three years or some how live away part time. Has anyone moved their family when at a uni?

Ion no by moving I would be getting a much wider range of experiences than I would with the Hosptial here.

Nursing is a pretty intensive course where you're in uni/placement a lot more than other more traditional degrees, I imagine living away "part time" would be incredibly difficult. You've not said much about your family, so you'd have moving, schools and jobs and all that to consider if you were to move.

Either way, if I were in your shoes, I'd attend the interview at Swansea anyway, even if you don't accept a place there it's good interview experience and it keeps that option open should you not get an interview or place nearer to where you currently live.
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt
Nursing is a pretty intensive course where you're in uni/placement a lot more than other more traditional degrees, I imagine living away "part time" would be incredibly difficult. You've not said much about your family, so you'd have moving, schools and jobs and all that to consider if you were to move.

Either way, if I were in your shoes, I'd attend the interview at Swansea anyway, even if you don't accept a place there it's good interview experience and it keeps that option open should you not get an interview or place nearer to where you currently live.

Well have talked about the moving. Hubby not 100% sure but lucky that he is self employed works from home so he wouldn’t need to worry about finding a job. But would need to move the children schools, will need to have to have a long chat with them too. I personally can’t see part time living their being an option.

Definitely going to the interview as like you say it’s a good experience. I am more worried about it being the only offer I get and having to say no to it. Hubby was totally up for it but now having second thoughts which is not helping me when this is the only job I ever wanted and uni the start of said job. Just going to wait till outcome of interview and then real decisions will need to be made.

Thankyou for you reply x
Well have talked about the moving. Hubby not 100% sure but lucky that he is self employed works from home so he wouldn’t need to worry about finding a job. But would need to move the children schools, will need to have to have a long chat with them too. I personally can’t see part time living their being an option.

Definitely going to the interview as like you say it’s a good experience. I am more worried about it being the only offer I get and having to say no to it. Hubby was totally up for it but now having second thoughts which is not helping me when this is the only job I ever wanted and uni the start of said job. Just going to wait till outcome of interview and then real decisions will need to be made.

Thankyou for you reply x

Your husband's work certainly makes things a bit more flexible, moving schools can cause a bit of upset, but it's not un-doable, it's obviously a bit easier if they're younger.

Something else to consider is that you may want to stay local to where you trained, many students go on to work their first jobs at the trusts they trained at, and ABM has been recruiting preceptors quite aggressively over the last year or so.

Good luck with your interviews :smile:
Reply 4
Umm not though of that. So if it was to happen we would move back in three years so it would be harder to get a job here over the ones that trained here that what you mean?

Yer the children are 4,7,8 so eldest would be moving back before year 8.
Umm not though of that. So if it was to happen we would move back in three years so it would be harder to get a job here over the ones that trained here that what you mean?

Yer the children are 4,7,8 so eldest would be moving back before year 8.

I don't think it'd be harder, but I'm not totally clued up on the availability of children's nursing jobs (I'm an adult RN) so can't comment fully tbh.
Reply 6
Okay. Thankyou for you help. How many days a week were you in uni a week when you did your training?
Okay. Thankyou for you help. How many days a week were you in uni a week when you did your training?

It was a while ago now, but it would vary depending on how many modules were going on at the time. At very busy times I was sometimes in up to 4 days of the week, though these were often not full days. When on clinical placement you're expected to work the full spectrum of shifts often shadowing your mentor as much as possible. Obviously this will depend on where you're placed at the time, some teams may work office hours compared to the 24/7 nature of ward nursing.
Reply 8
Pretty much what I thought. Thankyou again x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending