Do Russell Group universities really matter as much as people say

Watch
Jamie28282
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am applying for Economics at uni and have my sights set on the like of Surrey, Loughborough and Coventry all of which have some of the best economics courses in the UK, however a lot of friends and family repeatedly say "the only universities worth applying to are russell group universities", but do they matter that much?
JDieMstr
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Welp, they are well-known, I'll give you that.They're certainly high up in the rankings as well but they do lack in specific areas....*cough*certain course ranking/reputation*cough*.....
Jamie28282
Rep:
?
(Original post by JDieMstr)
Welp, they are well-known, I'll give you that.They're certainly high up in the rankings as well but they do lack in specific areas....*cough*certain course ranking/reputation*cough*.....
right thats what i was thinking as looking at some of the rankings most russell group unis are dominated in economics by other non russell group unis
username2281303
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jamie28282)
I am applying for Economics at uni and have my sights set on the like of Surrey, Loughborough and Coventry all of which have some of the best economics courses in the UK, however a lot of friends and family repeatedly say "the only universities worth applying to are russell group universities", but do they matter that much?
Hmm...depends on what you're looking for.

BBC released an article this year on how on average people with Russel Group Uni degrees have higher salaries. Having said this, it will never purely depend on your University alone. Depends on the type of degree you get (first class, 2:1, etc) and how hard you work, and whether there are any work experience oppurtunities
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i mean it does sound better but there are uni's that aren't Russel group e.g bath , st andrews
MajorFader
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I believe a Russel group is a university where a lot of research takes place (correct me if I am wrong). TBRH the job market is more about experience, the degree you graduate with, and to a lesser extent the university you graduate from. However, the degree does matter because it provides a base for employers to filter you out.
Jamie28282
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZiggyStardust_)
Hmm...depends on what you're looking for.

BBC released an article this year on how on average people with Russel Group Uni degrees have higher salaries. Having said this, it will never purely depend on your University alone. Depends on the type of degree you get (first class, 2:1, etc) and how hard you work, and whether there are any work experience oppurtunities
Thats what my head of applications said aswell, as long as you come out with a good degree i.e 1st/2:1 from a good uni russell group or not, your still set for a strong career
JDieMstr
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
right thats what i was thinking as looking at some of the rankings most russell group unis are dominated in economics by other non russell group unis
I'd say going to a decent Uni, doing a relevant course to the career you want to enter and achieving 2:1 or a First is no less than going to a russell group Uni(and achieving similar). It has to be suitable for you e.g. convenience is how I picked my Uni choices.
Jamie28282
Rep:
?
(Original post by MajorFader)
I believe a Russel group is a university where a lot of research takes place (correct me if I am wrong). TBRH the job market is more about experience, the degree you graduate with, and to a lesser extent the university you graduate from. However, the degree does matter because it provides a base for employers to filter you out.
Exactly my thoughts
username2281303
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thats what my head of applications said aswell, as long as you come out with a good degree i.e 1st/2:1 from a good uni russell group or not, your still set for a strong career
you should definitely listen to your teacher!

what's your top Uni that you'd like to go to currently??
Jamie28282
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZiggyStardust_)
you should definitely listen to your teacher!

what's your top Uni that you'd like to go to currently??
Surrey, followed by Loughborough and coventry, followed by some safe options, might consider attempting to switch out a safe for Nottingham
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
'Russell Group' is a marketing term thought up by the older Unis when the Polytechnics got University status. Yes, that is all its about - marketing.

You will find that many parents and teachers latch on to RG thing simply because they have no real awareness that the whole University sector has moved on since they were at school/Uni and doesnt have this Old/New University divide any more. Employers are not impressed by 'Russell Group' - they dont use this to sift job applications, and those Universities themselves dont discriminate on this basis with their own employees.

Choose the course that interests you, and a Uni where you will feel comfortable. Pick 5 sensible, realistic choices. Its you going to Uni - not them.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've completed 3 years of university and have almost 3 years professional experience in graduate level employment.

Still yet to hear "Russell Group" mentioned anywhere outside of TSR.
Jamie28282
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
'Russell Group' is a marketing term thought up by the older Unis when the Polytechnics got University status. Yes, that is all its about - marketing.

You will find that many parents and teachers latch on to RG thing simply because they have no real awareness that the whole University sector has moved on since they were at school/Uni and doesnt have this Old/New University divide any more. Employers are not impressed by 'Russell Group' - they dont use this to sift job applications, and those Universities themselves dont discriminate on this basis with their own employees.

Choose the course that interests you, and a Uni where you will feel comfortable. Pick 5 sensible, realistic choices. Its you going to Uni - not them.
thanks for clearing it up, much appreciated
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What matters to most recruiters hiring graduates for most jobs:

Name:  Exhibit 7.5 - factors for grads.png
Views: 641
Size:  98.9 KB

The name of your university is not that important...

Source: http://www.cbi.org.uk/index.cfm/_api...44798DD5B15E77
Jamie28282
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)

Thanks a lot for posting this,
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks a lot for posting this,
No problem.

That said, on what basis are you deciding that "Surrey, Loughborough and Coventry ... have some of the best economics courses in the UK"? There's more than one league table and league tables shouldn't be your only resource...

Have you visited them, and others? Spoken to current students? Checked the detailed courses - do they cover what you are most interested in? etc, etc.
Jamie28282
Rep:
?
No problem.

That said, on what basis are you deciding that "Surrey, Loughborough and Coventry ... have some of the best economics courses in the UK"? There's more than one league table and league tables shouldn't be your only resource...

Have you visited them, and others? Spoken to current students? Checked the detailed courses - do they cover what you are most interested in? etc, etc.
Of course, league tables in some way should be taken with a pinch of salt, i have visited surrey and loughborough but unfortunately havent been able to see coventry, the two i visited i found the campus and the general environment was pleasant, the main factor of my preference to these is the course the provide, firstly they all are bachelors of science degrees and that is something i look for as i feel it would be more interesting to me as more maths is integrated into the course. also just the overall view of the course includes topics i find interesting
username3675786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

This is true, I mean a first from most unis has to be respected. But those ‘top’ universities do tend to provide more contacts and provide a more rigorous workload for many rigorous professions. So it’s definitely true you can succeed from anywhere but also that going to those top universities can and does help many people. That’s probably why they get the ‘top’ jobs and earn the most after 5 years.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...ates-earn-most

A table from this link shows the highest median salaries after 5 years in 22 subject areas. Oxbridge, LSE and imperial ‘typical top unis’ have 13 of those spots. And they don’t actually fully offer 5/6 of them. So it’s 13/16-17 that’s pretty damn remarkable for 4 universities.
While I do think classification is more important, names sadly do still bare weight. I imagine that survey had some selection bias. Also, it would be scandalous for the CBI to be viewed as outright elitist in 2017.
username3675786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As I commented earlier check this link for the data
https://www.timeshighereducation.com...ates-earn-most

It shows the median graduate earnings for 22 subject areas after 5 years. The most typically ‘prestigious’ unis, Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial, offer 16/17 of these subject areas. They are top in 13/16-17, I must admit that’s pretty damn remarkable and shows even in 2017 prestige does still play a factor. Either that or these unis simply give more opportunities and provides better graduates, right? Which therefore legitimises their prestige.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (88)
26.51%
England (110)
33.13%
Belgium (27)
8.13%
Germany (39)
11.75%
Spain (7)
2.11%