rosarossa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I m currently doing AS psychology and so far I have done social influence /memory and halfway to attachment .
currently strggling with writing out in PEEL or PEEE structure the essyas ,so I get the right ideas with correct evidence to back them up but how can I improve as i got a D and an E on the last two assessments done since the beginnign of the year .
NB: i have done my GCSE preapartion late and english is my 3rd language so not sure though if i lose marks because of my english and formatting answers correctly to gain all the marks even if i know all the content and understand it well.
any advice will be really helpful !!
also if you can re explain the PEEE STRUCTURE ,i didnt yet got round how to use it correctly in essays .
also any suggestions for the best way to revise and preapre for psychology ie flash cards ,mindmaps and give me an idea of how to use them for each unit .
greghayes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rosarossa)
I m currently doing AS psychology and so far I have done social influence /memory and halfway to attachment .
currently strggling with writing out in PEEL or PEEE structure the essyas ,so I get the right ideas with correct evidence to back them up but how can I improve as i got a D and an E on the last two assessments done since the beginnign of the year .
NB: i have done my GCSE preapartion late and english is my 3rd language so not sure though if i lose marks because of my english and formatting answers correctly to gain all the marks even if i know all the content and understand it well.
any advice will be really helpful !!
also if you can re explain the PEEE STRUCTURE ,i didnt yet got round how to use it correctly in essays .
also any suggestions for the best way to revise and preapre for psychology ie flash cards ,mindmaps and give me an idea of how to use them for each unit .
Hey

First of all, I would say that writing in the PEE structure is the easiest way to go about an essay but it's not the only way. So long as the information is correct and your argument is clear, you'll still get the marks.

The PEE structure stands for: Point, Evidence, Explanation. I'll give you an example (if I can remember some of the points without my textbook! I'm a first year psych university student) by writing an evaluative paragraph using PEE. It won't be the greatest quality as it's been 2 years since I did this but it's just to give you an idea.

Using Asch's study on social influence...

P - One criticism of Asch's study is that it lacks external validity.

E - He used a very specific set of participants: 123 male undergraduate students (meaning that they'd be aged around 18-21). His study was also conducted in 1951 and was a lab experiment (i.e. was not realistic).

E - This means that Asch's research could be argued to lack 3 types of external validity. The specific sample of participants results in the study lacking population validity as the majority of the general public falls outside this category. His results may not be able to be generalised to the typical public as women, less educated people, or those of a different age may act differently in the same situation. The study also lacks temporal validity due to the year it was conducted in. It has been over 65 years since the study was conducted so the results may not be the same if the study were to be conducted again today. Finally, it lacks ecological validity as the study was done in an unrealistic, controlled lab setting. It cannot be said for certain that the same results would be found if the study were to be conducted using more realistic methods that are familiar in everyday life.

The PEE structure is only really necessary in the evaluation section of the essay. For the theory, you only need to explain the key ideas (using specific vocabulary) and any studies with their facts. There's no set structure for this so I'd go with how it's set out in the textbook as this was written by people who worked with the exam board to only include necessary information. Questions tend to be taken straight from the textbook's ideas so that's your best way of learning.

If you're struggling with the English side of things, speak to your teacher as they will be able to help you gain extra marks as some marks do come from SPAG (Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar).

Hope that helps in some way and feel free to message me if you have any questions!
rosarossa
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
yes thank you!! that was really helpful .
when i have a model answer given to me i understand where i am losing marks and then can see how i can word sentences better to explain the ideas .
also aanother question ,i have mocks end january, and right now my grades in psychology are not the best and i want to improve reallly (especially in essay writing for l6/12 mark questions )any advice on what i can prepare for that ,insted of just making notes and remembering them ??( i have heard that essay plans and cards are helpful in psychology but i dont know how to use them as this is the first time i am studying psychology )
greghayes
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by rosarossa)
yes thank you!! that was really helpful .
when i have a model answer given to me i understand where i am losing marks and then can see how i can word sentences better to explain the ideas .
also aanother question ,i have mocks end january, and right now my grades in psychology are not the best and i want to improve reallly (especially in essay writing for l6/12 mark questions )any advice on what i can prepare for that ,insted of just making notes and remembering them ??( i have heard that essay plans and cards are helpful in psychology but i dont know how to use them as this is the first time i am studying psychology )
Sorry I’ve just seen this. I personally use a really boring method of revising usually which is just pacing my room saying my notes out loud until I can do it from memory so I never did essay plans. If you have the textbook especially, that’s basically your essay plan as writing it in that order is enough for your structure.

Another good revision technique I would say is applying it to your everyday life. For example, if you’re with your friends talking and you’re discussing where to go hang out, thing about maybe how social influence plays a role. Also, teaching other people is really useful so talk to anyone that will listen. It doesn’t have to be sitting them down and lecturing them about your work, just drop into conversation how you’ve been revising something interesting today and tell them about it. The good thing with psychology is that the general ideas are simple as interesting enough for other people to understand it so they tend to find it more interesting that History for example.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (91)
17.14%
It's just nice to be back! (146)
27.5%
Not great so far... (194)
36.53%
I want to drop out! (100)
18.83%

Watched Threads