The Student Room Group

I need another A Level and, if possible, two - Possible?

Salutations, friendos!

I already have a Level 3 BTEC Diploma equivalent to two A* A levels, but alas Universities require more... Well, better ones, anyway. I'm wondering if it'd be possible within six months to complete an A level or two.

Bear in mind that I'd choose Psychology and Philosophy - I studied both at 'Standard' level in IB (which is less than an A level) and achieved Level 5 in Philosophy and Level 4 in Psychology.

I'm fine with doing an easier A level or just a single one, but I'd really appreciate some advice! ^u^
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
If you work hard i believe you can definately do it !
It depends what course you want to do at uni....it would be better to choose a subject related to what you want to do
Reply 3
Original post by Potato456
It depends what course you want to do at uni....it would be better to choose a subject related to what you want to do

This isn't always the case, but my question is specifically aiming more toward 'Is it even possible to begin with?' rather than 'Which subject is it possible to pass with?'.
Original post by Anseran
This isn't always the case, but my question is specifically aiming more toward 'Is it even possible to begin with?' rather than 'Which subject is it possible to pass with?'.
If there's one thing I've learnt from my time on TSR it's that any combination of qualifications and subjects and courses are possible. Everyone is different.

My advice to you on this case is the same as the other user said, it depends what degree course(s) you're interested in.
How would you do medicine without a science subject? How would you do a history degree without a history alevel? Of course it's relevant!
If you have the time to be able to invest, then it's definitely possible. For one A-Level, at least. 2 in 6 months? That's a mammoth task. Not impossible, but it's just a question of how much effective studying/revision would you sacrifice having to accommodate for the workload of 2 full a-levels in 6 months..
I think you'd find yourself studying full-time to be able to achieve a good grade, but it's definitely possible if you are able to commit to it.
How would you do medicine without a science subject? How would you do a history degree without a history alevel? Of course it's relevant!

They just said it isn't always the case and that is correct.
Some degree subjects dont require you to have studied it directly ar A level. The other way round is to do a course with a combned foundation year. You cna do Medicine that way.
Original post by Anseran
Salutations, friendos!

I already have a Level 3 BTEC Diploma equivalent to two A* A levels, but alas Universities require more... Well, better ones, anyway. I'm wondering if it'd be possible within six months to complete an A level or two.

Bear in mind that I'd choose Psychology and Philosophy - I studied both at 'Standard' level in IB (which is less than an A level) and achieved Level 5 in Philosophy and Level 4 in Psychology.

I'm fine with doing an easier A level or just a single one, but I'd really appreciate some advice! ^u^

Depends on:

1. How bright you are.
2. How much work you do.
3. How smart you are.
4. Which subject.
5. Personal situation.

Imo one is a push and two you would need to have everything in your favour.
A level clasical civilisation is by far though to be the easiest subject as far as my friends who did CC as an A level says.
(edited 6 years ago)

u dont need to do law for going into law and u dont need to do computer science for computer science may have to do maths/phys
Original post by Complex-machines
A level clasical civilisation is by far though to be the easiest subject as far as my friends who it says.

That makes no sense.
Original post by 999tigger
That makes no sense.

sorry it was supposed to say who did CC as an A level says
Reply 13
Aha, I like some of the positivity given, and I'm aware that it'd be a difficult task. I view life as a sand glass which is forever ticking - At night, through day, and yet it's almost always invisible. Time is a currency which leaks from your pocket at every moment where you choose to turn your back on it. It leaves you asking the question 'did I mess up?' or 'am I a failure?' until the point where you stand late in life... Drunk on sorrow, to tell yourself 'I could have been someone' but so could anyone. If they just didn't turn their back or shut their eyes. My previous school declined my proposal to continue studying on rather cold terms. They essentially sacrificed my future because it would have cost them money...

Of course, I understand this reason and I can't blame them for their funding or my apparently-indecisive nature, but at the same time I refuse to outright let my time run out, and I believe that no one should throw away their chance at a future where they never want to look away and waste it. But regret that they didn't spend enough time with it. Meh. I need resources and information, that'll be a start. 700 hours are supposedly required. Full-time employment is 35 hours a week. Four weeks of 35 make 140 hours. In six months, there should be about 840 of these hours. I'm not saying there are 840 hours in 6 months. That's ludicrous. That's just about how much time I'd have if 35 hours a week were put in, meaning it could absolutely be done if I were to study the correct syllabus, read over exemplar answers, and use external resources to understand underlying concepts. In total, there are 4380 hours in six months. Anyone here good enough at maths to help me out on how I should organise time, as well as resources to read and study?
If you want to take exams in Summer 2018 then you need to find an exam centre straight after Christmas as the entry deadline is in early February.

Quick Reply

Latest