Turn on thread page Beta

How do you overcome appearance insecurity? watch

How do you overcome the need for constant validation and feeling insecure about appearance? How do you overcome the feeling you will never be pretty enough?

Without making changes to your appearance though? How do you just accept that you are enough?

ReputationRep:
    If you find out let me know , I wish i knew
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    With age. You learn to love yourself for the goddess you are. And that youre probs the best youll ever look so enjoy it before youre old wishing you could look like you do now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by futuresol)
    With age. You learn to love yourself for the goddess you are. And that youre probs the best youll ever look so enjoy it before youre old wishing you could llok liek you do now
    Sad but true

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely with age you start accepting your flaws, but if you want to feel better maybe try wearing some nicer clothes, get a nicer haircut, hit up the gym etc.

(Original post by frostyy)
    Yes, definitely with age you start accepting your flaws, but if you want to feel better maybe try wearing some nicer clothes, get a nicer haircut, hit up the gym etc.
    I don't mean how do I change my outer appearance because I do all these things but still feel insecure. What I want to know is how to overcome the feeling you are entirely flawed. I'm not happy with any of my features. I worry that all my features are flaws.

With age. You learn to love yourself for the goddess you are. And that youre probs the best youll ever look so enjoy it before youre old wishing you could llok liek you do now
    I'm getting old and it still hasn't work. I don't see myself 'loving myself for the goddess I am'.

Anyone else got ideas to share?

ReputationRep:
    I used to feel like that , but as i got older i just realised that the things that i thought were flaws actually werent and that i had convinced myself that i looked a certain way , when other people perceived me completely differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm getting old and it still hasn't work. I don't see myself 'loving myself for the goddess I am'.
    Well that is very sad. You may aswell accept the body you have. Be kind to it. Find things you like about it and remind you of what it does and what it allows you to do.

Having recently watched my grandad die of a horrible lung disease I am grateful for a heart that beats and the oxygen in my lungs.

I love that my body can run and can hug those I love and has survived everything I have put it through (various old EDs).

Such a waste of energy being unhappy.

This is your best life. Live it while you can.

Personally with age I no longer care what anyone thinks of me and I am a lot easier on myself

ReputationRep:
    I think the importance is the realisation that everyone has flaws, and the people you think are flawless are far from it. We are all human after all. Also the realisation that the people who love you the most (love of friendship, family, altruism, pragmatism, romance) love you for YOU! That means they love the whole package, they love you not out of sympathy but because they want to experience life with you and your flaws. Finally, if you are feeling inadequate one day and see someone who you think is flawless, just picture them having a heavy dump, that brings their flawed nature back into the picture doesn't it?

(Original post by No$feratu)
    I used to feel like that , but as i got older i just realised that the things that i thought were flaws actually werent and that i had convinced myself that i looked a certain way , when other people perceived me completely differently.
    I don't think I perceive myself different to how others perceive me. I know I am not one of those girls people find beautiful. Even the smallest thing can completely derail me. Like today at work this woman whispered to this girl that she was very pretty in front of me, and it just made me feel bad. Then another lady said she was 'lovely' later on and it just made me feel even worse.

(Original post by 22sgw)
    I think the importance is the realisation that everyone has flaws, and the people you think are flawless are far from it. We are all human after all. Also the realisation that the people who love you the most (love of friendship, family, altruism, pragmatism, romance) love you for YOU! That means they love the whole package, they love you not out of sympathy but because they want to experience life with you and your flaws. Finally, if you are feeling inadequate one day and see someone who you think is flawless, just picture them having a heavy dump, that brings their flawed nature back into the picture doesn't it?
    Yeah but there's always these girls who everyone always goes on about how beautiful they are just because they have long hair and thin faces and cheek bones and are super quiet and graceful and I am not like that at all. I will never be like that. I am not beautiful and graceful, I am just all over the place. I hate it when people go on about how beautiful certain girls are. it makes me feel so inadequate and unloved

Well that is very sad. You may aswell accept the body you have. Be kind to it. Find things you like about it and remind you of what it does and what it allows you to do.

Having recently watched my grandad die of a horrible lung disease I am grateful for a heart that beats and the oxygen in my lungs.

I love that my body can run and can hug those I love and has survived everything I have put it through (various old EDs).

Such a waste of energy being unhappy.

This is your best life. Live it while you can.

Personally with age I no longer care what anyone thinks of me and I am a lot easier on myself
    I wish I could be like that. I am simply obsessed.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but there's always these girls who everyone always goes on about how beautiful they are just because they have long hair and thin faces and cheek bones and are super quiet and graceful and I am not like that at all. I will never be like that. I am not beautiful and graceful, I am just all over the place. I hate it when people go on about how beautiful certain girls are. it makes me feel so inadequate and unloved
    Why would you want to be just beautiful and quiet and graceful?

It is 2017. You can be so so much more than just beautiful and quiet.

You can be intelligent and sassy and formidable and funny and vivacious.
    Gone are the days when all you need in life is to be beautiful and quiet hunny.

Why would you want to be just beautiful and quiet and graceful?

It is 2017. You can be so so much more than just beautiful and quiet.

You can be intelligent and sassy and formidable and funny and vivacious.
    Gone are the days when all you need in life is to be beautiful and quiet hunny.
    So they say. But the beautiful quiet ones are the ones who get all the love and attention showered on them. I honestly feel so unwanted. This is so narcissistic of me I know, but I can't be happy for beautiful people when I feel so ugly on every level. Deep down I just feel like nothing. A nobody.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could be like that. I am simply obsessed.
    You're only obsessed if you chose to be.

And if you were this super beautiful creature how boring would it be if people were only ever interested in you for superficial reasons?

It's only skin deep remember

I don't think you ever do. You just learn to cope with it better.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I perceive myself different to how others perceive me. I know I am not one of those girls people find beautiful. Even the smallest thing can completely derail me. Like today at work this woman whispered to this girl that she was very pretty in front of me, and it just made me feel bad. Then another lady said she was 'lovely' later on and it just made me feel even worse.
    Why did that make you feel bad?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Once you become more mature you won't care. Everyone matures at different rates though and some people never mature at all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.