Turn on thread page Beta

Why do people say Britain has no culture? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Why do people say Britain has no culture, question whether British culture exists or say "British culture is just eating fish and chips and getting drunk"?

This Wikipedia article confirms that, yes, Britain does have a culture, and quite a vibrant one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultur...United_Kingdom

Do people say this as part of the self-deprecation Britons are known for and which ironically is part of British culture? Or is there some other reason for why people say Britain has no culture?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Iridocyclitis)
    Why do people say Britain has no culture, question whether British culture exists or say "British culture is just eating fish and chips and getting drunk"?

This Wikipedia article confirms that, yes, Britain does have a culture, and quite a vibrant one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultur...United_Kingdom

Do people say this as part of the self-deprecation Britons are known for and which ironically is part of British culture? Or is there some other reason for why people say Britain has no culture?
    Because they are idiots and just to comment on Fish and Chips is code for morons. they were at it yesterday. I shall ask them next time.

ReputationRep:
    It's an easy, lazy trope.

ReputationRep:

Because they, wrongly, conflate a culture which they disapprove of, with a non-existent one.

I've personally seen a fair bit of culture among the English upper-middle class (despite not being part of it myself).

ReputationRep:
    What about activities and interests which some British people are involved in but they rarely appeal to foreigners and immigrants? Classic cars? Antiques? Freshwater angling? Gardening? Country houses? Steam trains?

ReputationRep:
    It's infuriating, patently disingenous and clearly intended to demoralise and undermine any sense of patriotism and national pride. And it's not just Britain I have seen this leveled against. I have seen the same sentiments expressed in many other European countries, especially those that are currently getting heavy doses of 'enrichment' from the third world.

It's very telling that such assertions of "X country has no culture" are invariably followed up by some argument in favour of multiculturalism and open borders. I have also seen this variation of the same argument time and time again from the left, "multiculturalism isn't destroying British culture, there was no such thing as British culture to begin with".

Part of the problem also is a lot of people don't really understand what culture is. They may pick out a few superficial popularities ('fish & chips', 'drinking tea', 'football' etc) and conclude that this is the be-all and end-all of a culture, which it is not. Some people may point to the more high brow art, music and literature of a nation, but again these are merely projections of culture, they are not the culture. Culture is deeper than that, more ethereal and transcendental, it is intrisically tied to our history and our sense of a shared narrative within it, to national mythologies, to tradition, to shared values, to the landscape and how we interact with it, and to the overall character and tone of an ethnic collective. Is any of this making sense? Probably not, but that's the thing, culture is very hard to define, it's one of those things you just instinctively know when you see it.

ReputationRep:
    We obviously do, otherwise this many people wouldn't visit each year:
    https://www.visitbritain.org/2016-snapshot

ReputationRep:
    Vegetarians. Is Britain the vegetarian not for religious or financial reasons capital of the world? How many other countries have "suitable for vegetarians" on food packaging? How many other countries have vegetarian meat substitutes in the freezers of all supermarkets?

ReputationRep:
    As the British-born and raised daughter of immigrants, I love Great Britain and British culture and mentality. Till the death of me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caspian C)
    British culture is just another word for englishness.
    To an extext, yes. English culture is by the far the most dominant within the wider culture of these lands, primarily due to England having by far the largest population and the most political clout. But looking beyond the politics, there are still and always have been deep ethnic and cultural similarities between the English, the Welsh, Scots and the Irish (though the latter two in particular don't always like to admit it ).

Just to illustrate this point, folklore has always been of great interest to me, particularly that of Great Britain and Ireland. What always amazes me is how often you can find certain folk traditions in deepest rural East Anglia for example, and then look 500 miles away in the far west of Ireland, and find strikingly similar traditions, stories and beliefs. And this cannot entirely be explained by long standing English dominance over these islands, as many of these mythologies far pre-date any of that.

ReputationRep:
    I get quite infuriated by the UK's self deprecation.

Self deprecation's great when you don't really mean it, when it's backed up with personal achievement- like Stephen Fry.

I wonder if it's partly because we're an island and so many people now holiday abroad that they only associate the UK with work and not pleasure.

ReputationRep:

They say that Britain has no culture because they want to assert that indigenous Britons do not exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Because they are idiots and just to comment on Fish and Chips is code for morons. they were at it yesterday. I shall ask them next time.
    I agree.

It's very strange.

(Original post by Wōden)
    It's infuriating, patently disingenous and clearly intended to demoralise and undermine any sense of patriotism and national pride. And it's not just Britain I have seen this leveled against. I have seen the same sentiments expressed in many other European countries, especially those that are currently getting heavy doses of 'enrichment' from the third world.

It's very telling that such assertions of "X country has no culture" are invariably followed up by some argument in favour of multiculturalism and open borders. I have also seen this variation of the same argument time and time again from the left, "multiculturalism isn't destroying British culture, there was no such thing as British culture to begin with".

Part of the problem also is a lot of people don't really understand what culture is. They may pick out a few superficial popularities ('fish & chips', 'drinking tea', 'football' etc) and conclude that this is the be-all and end-all of a culture, which it is not. Some people may point to the more high brow art, music and literature of a nation, but again these are merely projections of culture, they are not the culture. Culture is deeper than that, more ethereal and transcendental, it is intrisically tied to our history and our sense of a shared narrative within it, to national mythologies, to tradition, to shared values, to the landscape and how we interact with it, and to the overall character and tone of an ethnic collective. Is any of this making sense? Probably not, but that's the thing, culture is very hard to define, it's one of those things you just instinctively know when you see it.
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    I get quite infuriated by the UK's self deprecation.

Self deprecation's great when you don't really mean it, when it's backed up with personal achievement- like Stephen Fry.

I wonder if it's partly because we're an island and so many people now holiday abroad that they only associate the UK with work and not pleasure.
    Great posts.

ReputationRep:
    I gave up arguing with them a while ago.

People who say that the UK has no culture, are lacking somewhat in the ability to perceive what is around them properly and would benefit hugely from leaving the UK for a while to gain some perspective.

It tends to be that they grew up in the UK, so view the UK as 'default' - anything that is not the UK has an identity and a strong sense of being, but the UK does not because that is 'vanilla', thats whats around them all the time. Then you add in the massive massive lack patriotism and appreciation for what the UK stands for and has done for the world, and you end up with a situation where its cool and normal for kids to walk around saying that their country has no culture.

You only have to consider the UK's contribution to:
    Litterature
    Sport
    Architecture
    Food
    Industry
    Comedy
    Theater
    Music
    Politics
    Art
    Design
    etc. etc. etc.

I wrote a long full list a few times on this forum, but Im to lazy to re-think of it all now.

Point is if you live in the country of the greatest western playwright, the biggest band in history, that kickstarted modern civilization with the industrial revolution, and was at the for-front of political systems.. that grew to being one of the largest empires ever seen, and was essential to defeating one of the most evil forces in the 20th century...that has so many inventions, innovations, traditions and customs.. and you sit there and think we have nothing...

Then your either blind, stupid or lacking in heart and soul.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Because they, wrongly, conflate a culture which they disapprove of, with a non-existent one.

I've personally seen a fair bit of culture among the English upper-middle class (despite not being part of it myself).
    More insufferable snobbery than anything else tbh. "culture" is to be found in every class.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I think it is mostly from the elite. When the UK is challenged, we hear them resort to insults like "little Englanders" or other phrases to belittle the UK.

Culture is a way of life and everyone has it. I think ignorant people don't understand it and so bash the UK.

ReputationRep:
    because said people usually live in britain and are used to the culture so it doesnt stand out to them, as someone else said its like a default

ReputationRep:

The Welsh have an established culture and traditions despite the constant bombardment to wipe it out. The same applies to the Northern Scots and those in Western Eire. All that the English have is a Monarchy with a dubious pedigree and a genuinely oppressive so called government that aims at keeping the party in power.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a reasonable position to uphold. The cultural decline is deliberate and calculated because our political masters are owned by the luciferian satanists that control most of the global secret societies that effectively run our society. It has been going on gradually since the 60s (Frankfurt School) via feminism, promiscuity, homosexuality, alcohol, drugs, mass immigration) and rapidly since the (planned) 08 economic crash. All local traditions, pubs, markets, religious festivals have been decimated to fit the global standard, this is why every high street in the land is becoming uniformly drab and yet deeply consumerist. You have the consumerism of the elite and you have Lidl, Poundland and Betting for the slave class; this is the Jewish version of global feudalism.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with people trying to define British culture is the definitions predominately focus on past achievements, which just highlights how much the British have fallen.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.