The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why do people say Britain has no culture?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Because they don’t appreciate it and much of the culture has been widely adopted to become the norm of society.. probably why it’s not appreciated

I remember a guy from Syria said Britain has no culture, I said in the nicest way possible, you might take it for granted but we have civilisation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
Do you not identify yourself as British then?

I was born in Britain and have lived here for most of my life, so yes. However that does not mean I have to have a positive view of modern British culture.
No-one talks to the sun to tell it how comforting it is because they assume that nature has always been like that and will always be like that.
Original post by Iridocyclitis
Why do people say Britain has no culture, question whether British culture exists or say "British culture is just eating fish and chips and getting drunk"?

This Wikipedia article confirms that, yes, Britain does have a culture, and quite a vibrant one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_Kingdom

Do people say this as part of the self-deprecation Britons are known for and which ironically is part of British culture? Or is there some other reason for why people say Britain has no culture?

Because they are immature civilians who haven't experienced Britain enough and have no culture themselves?
Original post by Quantex
The problem with people trying to define British culture is the definitions predominately focus on past achievements, which just highlights how much the British have fallen.

its not a problem at all.. in fact is the norm all around the world. Cultures grow and build over time, and every culture is defined as a mix of the present and of its own history..

Hence why here in China, ancient China and their dynasties are still considered a huge part of their culture - even though they are much more successful then us British people are today. Every country looks back as well as to the present to define who they are and what gives their country its own identity. The french look to their artists and revolutionaries, the Germans/Austrians to their musicians, the Italians to their painters and the Romans before.. etc.

I would say with the British, looking back does not highlight how far we have fallen, but rather how much we over-achieved in the past. For a country of our size and stature, who were never a powerful force and had a history checkered with being invaded and occupied, to go on and achieve what we did in the 17th-early 20th century is nothing short of amazing. Obviously it was not all good, and the empire did its fair share of barbaric things, but considering there has never been a peaceful benevolent empire (or kingdom for that matter), its not something I will loose sleep over. It could easily be argued that Britain played one of the largest roles in creating what we now know of as the modern world. We shaped international affairs for centuries, paved the way for modern democratic values to flourish, kick-started the industrial revolution, brought collective world-wide learning to new levels, helped defeat the nazis.. and then went on to do something pretty unheard of historically: gave up an empire without catastrophic wars/loss of life. Now we are settling into a position that's much more in keeping with our size, resources and position, A wealthy, small but not dominant nation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by fallen_acorns
its not a problem at all.. in fact is the norm all around the world. Cultures grow and build over time, and every culture is defined as a mix of the present and of its own history..

Hence why here in China, ancient China and their dynasties are still considered a huge part of their culture - even though they are much more successful then us British people are today. Every country looks back as well as to the present to define who they are and what gives their country its own identity. The french look to their artists and revolutionaries, the Germans/Austrians to their musicians, the Italians to their painters and the Romans before.. etc.

I would say with the British, looking back does not highlight how far we have fallen, but rather how much we over-achieved in the past. For a country of our size and stature, who were never a powerful force and had a history checkered with being invaded and occupied, to go on and achieve what we did in the 17th-early 20th century is nothing short of amazing. Obviously it was not all good, and the empire did its fair share of barbaric things, but considering there has never been a peaceful benevolent empire (or kingdom for that matter), its not something I will loose sleep over. It could easily be argued that Britain played one of the largest roles in creating what we now know of as the modern world. We shaped international affairs for centuries, paved the way for modern democratic values to flourish, kick-started the industrial revolution, brought collective world-wide learning to new levels, helped defeat the nazis.. and then went on to do something pretty unheard of historically: gave up an empire without catastrophic wars/loss of life. Now we are settling into a position that's much more in keeping with our size, resources and position, A wealthy, small but not dominant nation.

My dim view of modern Britain does not come from a tired chest-thumping nationalist perspective, but from what we, as Brits, have become.

Modern British culture places a lot of value on idleness and gluttony. We gorge ourselves on crap food and consider even a short walk to be beyond us. The consequences are obvious, 2/3 of adults are overweight, we are the most obese nation in Europe, and are suffering from an epidemic of self-inflicted lifestyle illnesses. We've gone from industrious and hard working to a nation of fatties. Our ancestors would be rolling in their graves if they saw the state of us.

This should be a source of national shame and disguist but it is not considered politically correct to talk about.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by xannypunanny
As the British-born and raised daughter of immigrants, I love Great Britain and British culture and mentality. Till the death of me

What is wrong with your own culture?
Because the place has been invaded by outsiders who dilute what being British is and they pose themselves as the norm (non Christian like Jewish or non-British/non English/Scottish EU white people changing their names to Anglo Saxon ones; EU nationals being raised here and picking up on social cues and accent while still practicing their own culture), confusing the rest of the world with what our culture is.

It doesnt entirely help that Roman and British culture is globally practiced as the default due to their imperialism and colonialism, so the appreciation of British tradition and ways is nonexistent cos we're not exotic, simple as that.

Plus, I'm convinced that actual English people are a minority in England nowdays :indiff:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zxyn
Because they don’t appreciate it and much of the culture has been widely adopted to become the norm of society.. probably why it’s not appreciated

lol ****ing basically
Reply 29
Because people are ignorant troglodytes.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Because the place has been invaded by outsiders who dilute what being British is and they pose themselves as the norm (non Christian like Jewish or non-British/non English/Scottish EU white people changing their names to Anglo Saxon ones; EU nationals being raised here and picking up on social cues and accent while still practicing their own culture), confusing the rest of the world with what our culture is.

It doesnt entirely help that Roman and British culture is globally practiced as the default due to their imperialism and colonialism, so the appreciation of British tradition and ways is nonexistent cos we're not exotic, simple as that.

Plus, I'm convinced that actual English people are a minority in England nowdays :indiff:

From Wikipedia:
"The Anglo-Saxons were a people who inhabited Great Britain from the 5th century. They comprise people from Germanic tribes who migrated to the island from continental Europe"

What is an 'actual English' person?
Original post by TrueBruce
From Wikipedia:
"The Anglo-Saxons were a people who inhabited Great Britain from the 5th century. They comprise people from Germanic tribes who migrated to the island from continental Europe"

What is an 'actual English' person?

why are you quoting me with this..????
Original post by Iridocyclitis
Why do people say Britain has no culture, question whether British culture exists or say "British culture is just eating fish and chips and getting drunk"?

This Wikipedia article confirms that, yes, Britain does have a culture, and quite a vibrant one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_Kingdom

Do people say this as part of the self-deprecation Britons are known for and which ironically is part of British culture? Or is there some other reason for why people say Britain has no culture?

Because they are idiots
why are you quoting me with this..????

You complain about European immigrants disguising themselves with Anglo-Saxon names. You ignore the fact that the Anglo-Saxons were also European immigrants.
I agree that Britain has SOME culture but in my view, a lot of it has been diminished throughout the years. The restraining of the culture of the Highlands and the Gaelic language in schools springs to mind. What is England's national dance? What is England's national costume? Other countries (including the others in the British isles) put much more emphasis on these cultural indicators than England, which is what leads to the claim.
You complain about European immigrants disguising themselves with Anglo-Saxon names. You ignore the fact that the Anglo-Saxons were also European immigrants.

They were not "immigrants." They discovered the place...back to the thread, yes I do have a problem with Polish Jews changing their surname to Ellis. It's just deceitful. It's like a man tucking and pretending to be a woman...it's just a lie, and it confuses foreigners with what the British norm is. It certainly isn't EU/European Judaism.
They were not "immigrants." They discovered the place...back to the thread, yes I do have a problem with Polish Jews changing their surname to Ellis. It's just deceitful. It's like a man tucking and pretending to be a woman...it's just a lie, and it confuses foreigners with what the British norm is. It certainly isn't EU/European Judaism.

Well there were already Celts living in Britain so they weren't the first to 'discover' it. Ironically the name Ellis comes from the name Elijah which is a Jewish name.
Well there were already Celts living in Britain so they weren't the first to 'discover' it. Ironically the name Ellis comes from the name Elijah which is a Jewish name.

Don't play games. All names come from somewhere, but it's called ANGLICISED. When a name becomes converted to English.

Like Mcdonagh is anglicised from MacDonchadha. So on and so on :colonhash: My name Conner is anglicised from Cobhair. Ellis is anglicised from Elias which is Greek, for Elijah. Ellis is NOT a Jewish name.

Anyway back to the point, again, that when a non English person changes their name to an English one it's deceitful and gets foreigners thinking that they're English. They're not.
Don't play games. All names come from somewhere, but it's called ANGLICISED. When a name becomes converted to English.

Like Mcdonagh is anglicised from MacDonchadha. So on and so on :colonhash: My name Conner is anglicised from Cobhair. Ellis is anglicised from Elias which is Greek, for Elijah. Ellis is NOT a Jewish name.

Anyway back to the point, again, that when a non English person changes their name to an English one it's deceitful and gets foreigners thinking that they're English. They're not.

I would just like to know how you define English. Do you have to be of Anglo-Saxon origin?
I would just like to know how you define English. Do you have to be of Anglo-Saxon origin?

This conversation is about ethnicity and nationality. So someone who is ethnically English **and** born or bred in the UK. Not "and/or" with familial citizenship. But "and." And that's not by my standards, that's just the good ol dictionary and census for you. (Keeping in mind that the English ethnicity is a young, traveled, and invaded one, so there will be celtic and welsh and germanic and roman ancestry and different clans and tribes etc. But that's irrelevant tbh.)

Whatever the English ethnic group is historically comprised of, then just have majority of that in your veins.

Simply speaking the language, being born/raised here, or having an adopted English surname is not English. That's British. And what we have is British people pretending or claiming to be English.

Latest

Trending

Trending