The Student Room Group

Interview from other colleges?

[TL;DR at the end!]

Hi all, I'm an aspiring Music candidate at Oxford (for 2018 entry) and I was just wondering about the process for the interviews at other colleges.

We were told that it was a mathematical algorithm that determined where else we were to be interviewed as to make up slots, and my question really is that is the second college interview purely for comparisons sake to the interviewees at that college? Regardless of the purpose of them, I feel that the "fair allocation" explanation would be what we were told regardless.

I actually happened to massively prefer the college I was sent for a second interview (Worcester) than my first choice college (which will remain unnamed). Is there any possible chance that Worcester would even consider me as a candidate, despite me being put there for interview purely by chance?

I had hopes from this since my interview there also went much better (although, as I'm sure I'll be told, that candidates are terrible at judging their interview performance and that I don't actually know how well either went) so I feel as if I was caught in the euphoria of the place and time.

Is it similar to the "pooling" system which (I believe that only) Cambridge has, and that if my first choice rejected me but Worcester liked me, there is a chance that they'd take me on?

I looked at the statistics, and I saw with regret that Worcester hadn't taken on a non-direct Worcester applicant into Music for the last few years, so it's looking extremely unlikely.

I suppose the question really refers to the purpose of these extra college interviews, and whether they're for genuine consideration from other colleges for applicants, or simply as a point of comparison.

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR Second interviews for Music at different colleges - are they just for comparison purposes or are they an actual chance to get into that second college?(I actually preferred the second one, Worcester).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bosland19
[TL;DR at the end!]

Hi all, I'm an aspiring Music candidate at Oxford (for 2018 entry) and I was just wondering about the process for the interviews at other colleges.

We were told that it was a mathematical algorithm that determined where else we were to be interviewed as to make up slots, and my question really is that is the second college interview purely for comparisons sake to the interviewees at that college? Regardless of the purpose of them, I feel that the "fair allocation" explanation would be what we were told regardless.

I actually happened to massively prefer the college I was sent for a second interview (Worcester) than my first choice college (which will remain unnamed). Is there any possible chance that Worcester would even consider me as a candidate, despite me being put there for interview purely by chance?

I had hopes from this since my interview there also went much better (although, as I'm sure I'll be told, that candidates are terrible at judging their interview performance and that I don't actually know how well either went) so I feel as if I was caught in the euphoria of the place and time.

Is it similar to the "pooling" system which (I believe that only) Cambridge has, and that if my first choice rejected me but Worcester liked me, there is a chance that they'd take me on?

I looked at the statistics, and I saw with regret that Worcester hadn't taken on a non-direct Worcester applicant into Music for the last few years, so it's looking extremely unlikely.

I suppose the question really refers to the purpose of these extra college interviews, and whether they're for genuine consideration from other colleges for applicants, or simply as a point of comparison.

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR Second interviews for Music at different colleges - are they just for comparison purposes or are they an actual chance to get into that second college?(I actually preferred the second one, Worcester).

The system of interviewing candidates at more than one college has benefits in terms of quality control, but definitely also provides a chance to get into the second college. I was interviewed at two, and got an offer from the second (which, like you, I also way preferred after interviews). :smile: Hope that helps a bit!

Also to say: if you get an offer from your first college, don't fret about what might have been if you'd had an offer from Worcester instead. Almost everyone ends up feeling very affectionate towards their college. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by *pitseleh*
The system of interviewing candidates at more than one college has benefits in terms of quality control, but definitely also provides a chance to get into the second college. I was interviewed at two, and got an offer from the second (which, like you, I also way preferred after interviews). :smile: Hope that helps a bit!

Also to say: if you get an offer from your first college, don't fret about what might have been if you'd had an offer from Worcester instead. Almost everyone ends up feeling very affectionate towards their college. Good luck!

Thank you! That's very encouraging. Fortunately I by no means dislike my first choice, I did really like it, it was just that I loved Worcester. Just gotta wait for January 10th!
Hate to burst the bubble but Woosta is so oversubscribed for music that the likeliness of you getting an offer there if it was not your host college for the interview period is pretty unlikely :sadnod:

Wish you the best of luck with your application. There are advantages and disadvantages to each college - not getting an offer from Woosta is no bad thing! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hate to burst the bubble but Woosta is so oversubscribed for music that the likeliness of you getting an offer there if it was not your host college for the interview period is pretty unlikely :sadnod:

Wish you the best of luck with your application. There are advantages and disadvantages to each college - not getting an offer from Woosta is no bad thing! :smile:

Yeah, I've been told how popular it is for Music, but the main goal is for an offer at all!

Quick Reply

Latest